Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got some testing done last night....

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 11:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Got some testing done last night....

Very annoyed!!! When I put the standalone together I was trying to do it on a budget and a buddy told me to just get the cheap holley (12-803) regulator and that I wouldn't have any problem with it, I just have to set the fuel pressure while it's flowing, so against my better judgement I went ahead and set it up that way instead of a return system. Well, I went to the track last night and tried dialin the car in and I think it's building too much pressure at the noid while not flowing, cuz with the pump on and not flowing it's showing 9.5 psi on the gauge on the regulator and it's 6.5 flowing, and the car is falling on it's face pig rich on the launch and then clearing up and takin the **** off!!!

I'm gonna get some money together and put the return style on it like I should've in the first place and will go out and make some more hits and get her dialed in!!!

Here's the video (you can't really see or hear it in the first race cuz the car next to me was very loud as well, but second race you definately can):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq9zW9Uc0vQ

First run I didn't even bother gettin the slip, but second one I did and i'm really surprised at how fast the car went with how bad it fell on it's face (it almost stalled it was so bad), it went a 6.42 @ 112.5 on a **** *** 1.64 60' from the stumbling, it's gonna pick up a lot when I get it resolved and this is only on a 250 hit!!!
Old 09-07-2008, 12:12 PM
10 Second Club

Go back and read this thread that you posted in. I gave some details of how to use the Holley setup with success. You need to run a line from the other side of your regulator back to the tank as a bleed line to aviod deadheading and regulator creep. It is a very simple and effective solution!!
Old 09-07-2008, 03:01 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by myfast70
Go back and read this thread that you posted in. I gave some details of how to use the Holley setup with success. You need to run a line from the other side of your regulator back to the tank as a bleed line to aviod deadheading and regulator creep. It is a very simple and effective solution!!
Thats the way that my holley regulator is setup.. Works good too..
Old 09-07-2008, 04:14 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

112 is pretty good mph for a 6.4

I'm sure you'll get it straightened out. Be patient my child....
Old 09-07-2008, 05:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BAKED

Yeah, the car normally 60's 1.3's, it went a 1.64 cuz of the stumbling, yuck!!!!!!

It would've gained a few mph if not for the stumble too. Hopefully I can get it figured out quickly, i'm trying to have the car ready to run with my buddy at the end of october when I take vacation and head up to his house in NC. It's just a money thing.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:41 PM
9 Second Club

your running a fogger right? with what pills? i have ran the cheap holley regulator for years, and never had a problems 6.5 psi sounds like alot of f.p. to me. put up a pic of your setup!
Old 09-07-2008, 06:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by brett walker
your running a fogger right? with what pills? i have ran the cheap holley regulator for years, and never had a problems 6.5 psi sounds like alot of f.p. to me. put up a pic of your setup!
No, it's a nos cheater plate. I'll see if I can get some pics up.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:28 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by brett walker
I didn't get much testing with my old setup, but with just a 100 shot on a nos plate I had mine going 6.40s with 7lbs on the holley reg. I started with 6lbs and two passes later it was running .15 faster @ 7lbs.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:30 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BAKED

Thats VERY good for a 6.40.. Could be good enough for 6.00's with some tweaking.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1QuickT-A
Thats VERY good for a 6.40.. Could be good enough for 6.00's with some tweaking.
Well yeah dude, if it didn't fall on it's face on the launch the car would've gone much faster!
Old 09-07-2008, 08:36 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i dont understand please educate me. i just put a standalone on mine and used and efi pump/ regulator and have 45 psi with no issues seen on the dyno. i havent had it to the track yet.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:12 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ls2 bait
i dont understand please educate me. i just put a standalone on mine and used and efi pump/ regulator and have 45 psi with no issues seen on the dyno. i havent had it to the track yet.
I believe loudmouth is running a carb type plate on a low pressure system. His setup uses a dead head style regulator without a return causing pressure creep. If you are running the standalone system I'm thinking, it has a return off the regulator back to the tank which does not allow the pressure to creep or change because it it constantly bleeding off.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:16 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by myfast70
I believe loudmouth is running a carb type plate on a low pressure system. His setup uses a dead head style regulator without a return causing pressure creep. If you are running the standalone system I'm thinking, it has a return off the regulator back to the tank which does not allow the pressure to creep or change because it it constantly bleeding off.

yes i used an aeromotive return style efi regulator and an msd 255 pump.

also are the noids different for an efi set up? just seems like 6 lbs of pressure isnt going to get the fuel there very fast. but again i dont know.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:07 PM
10 Second Club

No, the solenoids are the same. The low pressure systems have been around for a lot longer than the hi pressure systems.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Loudmouth,
As a 'band-aid' you could keep the regulator you have if you install a small return right at the solenoid, back to the stand-alone. Install a .020 jet as a restriction for the return, and that keeps the pressure from creeping up, and also bleeds off any bubbles.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:51 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

That's good mph, I went a 6.18@ 112.85 last time I ran with a 1.43 60 foot. (I'm still on the 150 hit thru the Nos efi plate )

If you can get the car to a 1.3 with that mph you should see a 6.0x I would think.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 860 Performance
Loudmouth,
As a 'band-aid' you could keep the regulator you have if you install a small return right at the solenoid, back to the stand-alone. Install a .020 jet as a restriction for the return, and that keeps the pressure from creeping up, and also bleeds off any bubbles.
Yeah, I might try it, but i'm actually starting to think it might be the nitrous noid having an issue, cuz the kit is used, borrowed it from a buddy till I get a kit, and even if the regulator is adding a little extra fuel, I don't know if it could be that much to make the car fall on it's face like that, I mean it felt like the time my nitrous noid got stuck closed and dumped only 200 hp worth of fuel and no nitrous, the car died down and was trying to stall and breaking up and stuff, felt like only fuel, then all the sudden bam the nitrous kicked, and that would explain why it was worse and lasted longer when I tried pulsing the noids with the controller as well, think maybe the noid is sticking a little or not reacting as fast as it should or something, I don't think it's the controller, cuz it did it even at 100% leave with no ramp and obviously the fuel is hitting and if it was the controller it would just surge cuz it's controlling both noids ground off the same wire. I have an extra cheater solenoid in my tool box from the dry kit I had on the car a few years ago, it doesn't have a lot of runs on it, just been sittin though, so i'm gonna put it on and give it another go @ the strip on wednesday and see if that fixes it, then i'll try the bleed line if it doesn't.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
That's good mph, I went a 6.18@ 112.85 last time I ran with a 1.43 60 foot. (I'm still on the 150 hit thru the Nos efi plate )

If you can get the car to a 1.3 with that mph you should see a 6.0x I would think.
Thanks man, I think it's got at least 115 - 116 in it on this shot, maybe more after dialing in the a/f and timing, cuz it fell on it's face hard on the launch and the harder I come out and the better 60' I get the more my mph goes up as well!
Old 09-08-2008, 03:46 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I agree, you've got a good bit left. I don't think a 5.9 is impossible put it that way.

Gives me hope of what I can expect someday when I put a real kit on my slug
Old 09-08-2008, 03:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
I agree, you've got a good bit left. I don't think a 5.9 is impossible put it that way.

Gives me hope of what I can expect someday when I put a real kit on my slug
Yeah dude, ur car moves out for only being a little 150 hit, ****, I consider 250 a little hit, 150 I consider tiny, haha!!!

Quick Reply: Got some testing done last night....