LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Lt1 engine might be going bye bye...

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 09:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lt1 engine might be going bye bye...

Ok so i just got my car put back together and after the last couple months seeing my friends cam their LSX cars and seeing the power gains from cam and boltons it's got me thinking about ditching my LT1 and doing a swap.. I hate to say it but we just can't get the same numbers for the buck it seems like.. How much do you think i could sell my current set-up for...

350 LT1 rebuilt-400 miles ago
Clevite bearings
perfect circle rings
Stock (new) oil pump
ported and polished heads
Beehive 918 springs
Proform 1.6 Rollers
Comp Cams 306
crane cam push rods
stock (new) lifters
Accell 32lb injectors
Accell adjustable fuel pressure regulator
TPIS 52mm Throttle body
CSR electric water pump
A/C delete pulley
Pace Setter long tubes
Air pump delete
EGR delete

like i said this set-up has 400 miles on it..
Old 09-08-2008, 08:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

why dont you just spend the money that you would spend doing a swap on building the motor even more...if you switch to an ls1 you have to start at ground zero

oh and tell us more about your heads
Old 09-08-2008, 09:21 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Buck for buck, you will NEVER match the LS1 all things being equal. Just get over it or get one.

You should at the least get a dyno chart to see what you are really dealing with. If the heads are ported properly and with the CC306 and others items in your post, you should be very close to if not a tad over 400RWHP.

BTW there are better cam choices out there today. The CC306 is old school. Contact Lloyd Elliot for cam advice.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm kinda at the same dilemma, except I haven't torn into my motor yet. Should I cam this motor or save the money and swap and LS1 and cam it?
Old 09-08-2008, 09:38 PM
TECH Regular

Heads were gone through by a local shop, they seemed nicely worked over.. I have to get a proper tune before i can see any actual number on this set-up..
Old 09-08-2008, 09:39 PM
TECH Regular

Oh and i was asking what you think i could get for my set-up, not here people say **** i already know..
Old 09-09-2008, 10:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not sure what price range you were thinking for your motor, but i would say around 800. If you do plan on an ls swap i would forget about an ls1 and go with a 5.3, super cheap and anything you can do to ls1 you can do to 5.3. just throwing that out there.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by BsGreenZ
Ok so i just got my car put back together and after the last couple months seeing my friends cam their LSX cars and seeing the power gains from cam and boltons it's got me thinking about ditching my LT1 and doing a swap.. I hate to say it but we just can't get the same numbers for the buck it seems like..
Pretty much what got me to swap mine.. seeing the gains that my friends would get with theirs, and me barely staying ahead with what I had. I said FCK it and built what I have now..

Originally Posted by The Batman
why dont you just spend the money that you would spend doing a swap on building the motor even more...if you switch to an ls1 you have to start at ground zero
Not necessarily..I took my time and spent a little more money.. and I wouldn't necessarily say I was at ground zero when I completed my swap..

Quick Reply: Lt1 engine might be going bye bye...