Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
View Poll Results: How do you 'detail' your exterior?
I use a machine (PC, UDM, Flex, etc)
68.75%
I do it all by hand
31.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

detailing w/ buffer/polisher

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 04:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default detailing w/ buffer/polisher

I have been doing research on another forum regarding 'pro' detailing. The lines of product I have been looking @ are for use for with detailing machines (pc7424, UDM, flex, G110, etc).

I am looking into picking up a PC7424 kit coupled with OPT (optimum) polishes to remove my swirl marks rather than simply fill them in with over-the-counter stuff.

I am curious how many other F-body guys are use buffer/polishers and what products you couple them with. My concern is that the clear on our cars is pretty tough and i may need to upgrade polishes to get the swirls out.

edit: I also have blackbird stripes along my hood. Are there any problems with running the polisher over them?
Old 09-19-2008, 04:54 PM
TECH Addict

I have been using a rotary and PC for quite a while now. If I were in your shoes, I would give serious consideration to a Flex orbital. It's going to accomplish more than the standard PC.

As far as polishes, etc., my personal preferences are the Menzerna polishes and Lake Country pads. Super Intensive Polish and PO106FF would cover a fairly broad range of situations you might encounter and will leave an outstanding finish.
Old 09-19-2008, 06:36 PM
TECH Addict

rotary or pc here and chemical guys compounds. normally always i use the rotary.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ZaneO
I have been using a rotary and PC for quite a while now. If I were in your shoes, I would give serious consideration to a Flex orbital. It's going to accomplish more than the standard PC.

As far as polishes, etc., my personal preferences are the Menzerna polishes and Lake Country pads. Super Intensive Polish and PO106FF would cover a fairly broad range of situations you might encounter and will leave an outstanding finish.
I have also beeing eyeing the flex, but i get hit with sticker shock everytime i look at look at, hence the reason for me trying to judge how difficult it would be to use the PC on GM paint. Do you think there would be a big difference in the flex +6" pads vs PC + 4" pads?

The cars i would be using this stuff for are 3 fbodys (red, nbm, pewter) 2 dakotas (white) 1 durango (silver) 1 explorer (gray) and possibly 1 accord (brown/goldish).
Old 09-20-2008, 05:36 PM
Launching!

Honestly I wouldn't go bigger than 5 in pads personally, maybe 5.5 in. The 6" pads just seem too big. The smaller pads allow you to apply more pressure and therefore give you a little more cut. Four and five inch pads are the way to go , I would hate to do an entire car with just 4" pads that's why I say get both, but its up to you, many people use the 6" pads all the time.

As for the optimum polishes though I've never used them myself from what I understand they have a very long working time and are better suited for a rotary. You can use them with a PC it takes a long time to properly break down the polish which means you'll be polishing for quite a while.

I've only used Menzerna's Intensive Polish and Final Polish II and got great results with a PC. I've also read a lot that Super Intensive Polish and 106FF can be quite finicky with high temps and humidity, might want to keep that in mind.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Those Flex's are pricey, but they're top of the line.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by PedroDePackas
Honestly I wouldn't go bigger than 5 in pads personally, maybe 5.5 in. The 6" pads just seem too big. The smaller pads allow you to apply more pressure and therefore give you a little more cut. Four and five inch pads are the way to go , I would hate to do an entire car with just 4" pads that's why I say get both, but its up to you, many people use the 6" pads all the time.

As for the optimum polishes though I've never used them myself from what I understand they have a very long working time and are better suited for a rotary. You can use them with a PC it takes a long time to properly break down the polish which means you'll be polishing for quite a while.

I've only used Menzerna's Intensive Polish and Final Polish II and got great results with a PC. I've also read a lot that Super Intensive Polish and 106FF can be quite finicky with high temps and humidity, might want to keep that in mind.
The Intensive Polish and Final Polish II have worked out fine on your car?

My swirls cant be felt at all and can only be seen in full sun. The part that sucks is that the paint was free of swirls when i purchased it and I put them init when I tried to wax it for the first time using meguiars paste wax and a random orbital i picked up from walmart. I can fill the majority of them in with scratch X but i want to take them out completely.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:48 PM
TECH Addict

looks at the pinnacle system for a pc.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by my2kTA
The Intensive Polish and Final Polish II have worked out fine on your car?
Yup, orange pad with Intensive Polish and a white pad with FPII. Those are Lake Country pads by the way.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go with the PC, hands down. The Flex will give you a bit more grunt but I've been using a PC for 5 years and still have a use for it in every detail. You really only need a rotary when dealing with very bad paint or if you're doing a lot of cars. Also, something to keep in mind is that is much easier to finish down on a PC than a rotary. Due to this, even most pro's that use a rotary for the initial cut most often times finish down with a PC for its ease of use.

Quick Reply: detailing w/ buffer/polisher