LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Random Dents--08 Lacrosse Super

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 08:35 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Random Dents--08 Lacrosse Super

Hello guys and gals.

Long time reader, first time poster. I had my ride into the dealer today for a warranty check on the body. Last fall, I noticed a couple of small dings on the driver's rear quarter, just behind the small window behind the rear door. I thought they might be door dings from a jacked up truck...not happy but didn't think too much of it.

Fast forward to this spring. When the sun started coming up early enough for me to see the car in the morning before work, I noticed that the few dents had become 20+, all in the rear quarter. After this, I looked at the passenger side, and noticed fewer (but heavier) dents on the passenger rear quarter, in the same location as the other side. In the last few weeks, the dents have spread...both doors on the drivers side have 10+. There are upwards of 15 between the gas door and the tail light. There are even ~10 on the arch above the windows on the drivers side. However, there are none on the roof, hood, or trunk lid, and the ones on the passenger side just seem to get deeper but aren't multiplying as fast.

What makes this even more odd is that there is absolutely no damage to the paint at any of these spots. Also, I've owned the car from the day it was new, and it's never seen a hail storm.

At any rate, I took the car to my dealer last week to show them. They declined to even give an opinion on what happened and called GM. The district rep came out today while I was at work and looked at the car at the dealer. When I stopped in at the dealership, they told me that the rep had declined to do any work to the car under warranty. They also had a quote prepared from dent doctor (written up with the 'insurance company hail estimating form') and said "here is the quote if you want to get it fixed". The report notes quarter sized dents in the car...the last time there was dime sized hail within 50 miles of my house was a year before I bought it.

At this point I was less than pleased. I called the # in the owners manual and they just gave me the "we're going with what the rep says" run around. I've taken the first steps with the BBB Auto Line to file a claim there.

I attempted to take some photographs, but all they show is a distortion of light reflected in the panel...you do have to look at it in proper light to see most of these, but I haven't spoken to anyone who looked at the car who could not see the damage.

My guesses on the damage include faulty materials, something missing/misassembled in the structural components of the car, or maybe just poor design (these things are so rare that no one seems to know anything about the Super).

Questions for you guys:

A) Have any of you ever seen this type of damage on a vehicle that hasn't been in a hail storm?
B) Do you have any pointers on what I might do to get GM to fix the problem?

I work as a mechanical engineer. I've seen marking of sheet metal in duct work similar to this before...it leads me to believe that there is something wrong with the structure of the car. That leads to questions of the long-term safety of this car.

Thanks for the input, and sorry for the length.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, what a bizarre problem; sorry to hear this.

What color is your car? I’ve heard about something similar on a dark car before, although I didn’t see the damage myself.

It sounds like you’ll have to keep contacting GM personnel “up the line,” until you get satisfaction.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:12 PM
On The Tree

Accorns?
Old 06-04-2009, 01:19 AM

Wow that's just strange! What mods have you had done to your car? Improper welding or welding on a car with an unloaded suspension can lead to dents appearing and getting worse over time on a monocoque frame. You should try and see if there is any buckling anywhere on the car. You should try to get the dealership to measure the car on a frame machine. I agree that this may have been a mishap during the assembly process ( maybe some bad spot welds ). I wish I could help but I'm lost. It also sucks that GM isn't helping you! I don't see how they can pass it off as hail after seeing where the dents are located. Don't forget to let us know if you've had any work done on the car before or any mods??
Old 06-04-2009, 11:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you have a problem with GM that you cannot resolve, then call this number and the mediation process will be started.

1-800-263-3777
Old 06-04-2009, 01:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think someone is messing with you car. Sounds like a ball peen hammer to me. Do yourself a favor, get a grease pen and mark all the dents, then you can count them and be able to tell if more mysteriously appear!
Old 06-04-2009, 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am an M.E. as well, also worked for years in small gauge sheet metal manufacturing. Very familiar with stamped panels (like your described damaged areas). Once it is stamped into shape, it will not spontanously form dents. If anything, the metal, for lack of a better term, 'remembers' the stamped shape and the stresses in the metal will try to return to it. I agree with L-Speed, your car is being struck with something. Hopefully you catch whomever it is in the act and can prove enough in small claims court to have them pay for repairing all the damage.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 06 SS
Hopefully you catch whomever it is in the act and can prove enough in small claims court to have them pay for repairing all the damage.
Or just beat them to a bloody pulp! LOL< just kidding of course.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:04 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ghlkal
Wow, what a bizarre problem; sorry to hear this.

What color is your car? I’ve heard about something similar on a dark car before, although I didn’t see the damage myself.

It sounds like you’ll have to keep contacting GM personnel “up the line,” until you get satisfaction.
Car is Black Onyx.

Originally Posted by 02gmc5.3
Accorns?
No trees within 100 feet of where it parks at work or home.

Originally Posted by Gxp'er
Wow that's just strange! What mods have you had done to your car? Improper welding or welding on a car with an unloaded suspension can lead to dents appearing and getting worse over time on a monocoque frame. You should try and see if there is any buckling anywhere on the car. You should try to get the dealership to measure the car on a frame machine. I agree that this may have been a mishap during the assembly process ( maybe some bad spot welds ). I wish I could help but I'm lost. It also sucks that GM isn't helping you! I don't see how they can pass it off as hail after seeing where the dents are located. Don't forget to let us know if you've had any work done on the car before or any mods??
No mods, only work ever done to the car was having the driver's side portholes replaced because they were loose.

Originally Posted by Ill_Born_ss
If you have a problem with GM that you cannot resolve, then call this number and the mediation process will be started.

1-800-263-3777
Already started the BBB process, thanks for the number though.

Originally Posted by LS4SPEED
I think someone is messing with you car. Sounds like a ball peen hammer to me. Do yourself a favor, get a grease pen and mark all the dents, then you can count them and be able to tell if more mysteriously appear!
Would this not show up as paint damage if it was being struck from the outside? There isn't a chip or scratch anywhere where the damage shows up.

Originally Posted by 06 SS
I am an M.E. as well, also worked for years in small gauge sheet metal manufacturing. Very familiar with stamped panels (like your described damaged areas). Once it is stamped into shape, it will not spontanously form dents. If anything, the metal, for lack of a better term, 'remembers' the stamped shape and the stresses in the metal will try to return to it. I agree with L-Speed, your car is being struck with something. Hopefully you catch whomever it is in the act and can prove enough in small claims court to have them pay for repairing all the damage.
Thanks for the technical input.

The big reasons I'm still skeptical about someone doing it intentionally are:
A) No paint damage at all.
B) Dents show up at random times...i.e. the ones on the driver's rear door were there before the ones on the driver's front door, but they're still all in a straight line.

Thanks for all the replies, they're much appreciated. Anyone have any thoughts to intentional damage (hammer or BB gun is what came to mind first) not causing paint damage but still hitting hard enough to dent the metal? If this can happen then maybe it's the problem.

Finally, a couple pictures. I took a bunch but damage wasn't visible in most. Here are the ones that show it.

Driver's rear quarter dents--light distortion shows it well.

4 of the dents on the driver's front. I believe the first one in the next line lower is also visible on this shot.

5 of the dents on the passenger rear quarter.

Again, thanks for the replies.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

you really dont think theyre door dings? ive got a couple on my car and theres no paint damage.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TheMonteMan
you really dont think theyre door dings? ive got a couple on my car and theres no paint damage.
I thought they were until I noticed the number. The photo doesn't show it well, but there are over 25 behind the gas cap alone. Also, the slim panel between the windows and the roof on the driver's side also has dings at even spacing all the way from the windshield to the rear glass. I can't recall any trucks with a 24" lift parking next to me...that'd be about the only way i can see door dents in that particular panel. They also have the same look to them as the other ones, which leads me to believe that they're being caused by the same thing.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:58 PM
Teching In

New Update:

Another line of dents, at even spacing (in pairs actually) has appeared over the windows on the drivers side. It's offset from the previously existing set. I've also noticed a few new ones in the C-pillars on both sides. Driver's side door lock also quit working yesterday. Will be taking it into the dealer for that. I will continue to post updates as I notice new things...hopefully I can (with all of your help) get to the bottom of this. Thanks again for all the input.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:15 AM
Teching In

Sorry to hear this; your case truly seems bizarre. Do you park your car outside at night? I received a dent similar to the ones you have from a shopping cart. Zero paint damage, just a crease now running up the side of the car. Obviously some of the dents on your car are way too high to be caused by a shopping cart. I'm thinking that someone is pinging your car with golf *****. Let us know what you find out.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BlueChevyGuy
Sorry to hear this; your case truly seems bizarre. Do you park your car outside at night? I received a dent similar to the ones you have from a shopping cart. Zero paint damage, just a crease now running up the side of the car. Obviously some of the dents on your car are way too high to be caused by a shopping cart. I'm thinking that someone is pinging your car with golf *****. Let us know what you find out.
It does get parked outside. I live out of town...the side with the damage faces the field and then woods behind that...bout 2 miles to the next house in that direction. Truly bizarre is a good description.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

STUPID Bats chasing bugs, MAYBE

Sorry just had to put that in there.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Woodpeckers?

Seriously though, something is beating the **** out of your car. .. . no car issue could cause all of that.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

June bugs!!!