LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Power Steering Issue Resolved

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 10:16 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Issue Resolved

I posted a thread about a week ago asking if anyone was having issues with their power steering. I couldn't stand it anymore, so I went and got mine looked at. It's not normal; my power steering pump is bad. I just figured I would let you guys know, in case that's the issue with yours as well.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:48 PM
TECH Resident

what was the issue with your steering? what was it doing?
Old 05-29-2010, 10:46 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2006GXPgirl.
I posted a thread about a week ago asking if anyone was having issues with their power steering. I couldn't stand it anymore, so I went and got mine looked at. It's not normal; my power steering pump is bad. I just figured I would let you guys know, in case that's the issue with yours as well.
Did you get it checked by someone your trust?
Old 05-29-2010, 11:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think it's the pump also since you have to wind it up to get the system to work more, magnesteer should not have any bearing on that....
Old 05-29-2010, 12:59 PM
Teching In

I took it to the dealer to get the power steering hose replaced because of the recall. So when I was there I told them about how it was handling. My power steering basically would shut off when I was driving really slow and maneuvering in parking lots- to the point of embarrassing myself when I was trying to pull into a parking space. It was so bad that I had to back up and pull into a parking space like three times to get it right, which has never been a problem before when I had an equally large car. They thought it could be a power steering motor, but once they gave it a look they said it was the pump. Cost me a ton of money to replace but its great now.
Old 05-29-2010, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

what was the power steering line recall cause i just had to get a line replaced about a month ago and two weeks ago my pump. it is the pump cause i had the same problem it was bad i had to back up like 3-4 times too to get in a parking space
Old 05-29-2010, 05:27 PM
TECH Junkie

I took it to the dealer to get the power steering hose replaced because of the recall. So when I was there I told them about how it was handling. My power steering basically would shut off when I was driving really slow and maneuvering in parking lots- to the point of embarrassing myself when I was trying to pull into a parking space. It was so bad that I had to back up and pull into a parking space like three times to get it right, which has never been a problem before when I had an equally large car. They thought it could be a power steering motor, but once they gave it a look they said it was the pump. Cost me a ton of money to replace but its great now.
Buy and extended warranty it will pay for itself 100 times over I did!!
Old 05-29-2010, 09:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That pump is relatively easy to deal with providing you can get the belt off....Parts stores do sell them.
Old 05-30-2010, 05:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

at least you got it fixed now....glad to see another person from Ohio on here too!
Old 05-31-2010, 07:23 PM
Teching In

From what I understand the power steering hose recall is for northern states only. The hose is likely to crack in cold weather, and fluid can leak out. If the hose goes bad it can ruin your pump, too. I'm not sure if this was the case with my pump; they didn't say if my hose was bad, but they still replaced it due to the recall. I didn't have a fluid leak either. From reading posts on here, it seems that some people have had the power steering fluid leak onto their exhausts and cause fires.

And as for the warranty, I was told when I bought the car three weeks ago that it had a GM warranty. I was totally scammed because there is no warranty; the service department showed me the vehicle inquiry with a record of all warranties, expired or not. So I had to pay for it on my own. Not only that but I recently found out my car has three rear wheels! It's rubbing when I make turns, and I can't find a used front wheel. Great.. Basically I'm realizing why my car was listed for so much less than all the other GXPs I saw for sale.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

From what I understand the power steering hose recall is for northern states only. The hose is likely to crack in cold weather, and fluid can leak out. If the hose goes bad it can ruin your pump, too. I'm not sure if this was the case with my pump; they didn't say if my hose was bad, but they still replaced it due to the recall. I didn't have a fluid leak either. From reading posts on here, it seems that some people have had the power steering fluid leak onto their exhausts and cause fires.

And as for the warranty, I was told when I bought the car three weeks ago that it had a GM warranty. I was totally scammed because there is no warranty; the service department showed me the vehicle inquiry with a record of all warranties, expired or not. So I had to pay for it on my own. Not only that but I recently found out my car has three rear wheels! It's rubbing when I make turns, and I can't find a used front wheel. Great.. Basically I'm realizing why my car was listed for so much less than all the other GXPs I saw for sale.
What's rubbing when you make turns?

The only difference between the fronts and rears is the tire/wheel width.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:52 AM
Teching In

The rear wheel is on the front passenger side. When I make right turns it rubs the wheel well. It is just a matter of different width but its too wide to be in the front without eventually causing some damage. I also believe its making my torque steering worse. But then again whoever had my car last didn't get larger tires in the front as recommended, so that could be the issue with the steering.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:23 AM
On The Tree

one rear wheel on the front would make torque steer horrendous! Probably pulls to the same side every time. Sorry to hear, that blows. At least your dealer knew enough to pick that up.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:07 PM
Teching In

Yea the first time I tried to pass someone I floored it, and I was all over the road. It scared me so bad. I thought I was just stupid and I didn't know how to drive, but the more I drive the more I think it's not me. It pulls right and the rim is on the front passenger side. I would do anything to replace it asap. I contacted a place that sells used late model GM parts, and they said front rims are really hard to come by for the GXP because they get scuffed up and bent easy.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:54 AM
On The Tree

Maybe for safety's sake you should put the front rim on the back, so you have two rears up front. Torque steer would be much less, but still not as good as it could be. FWIW when I bought my car they had the fronts/rears switched. Torque steer was worse than it is now properly setup.
Did you buy your car from a dealer? If so I think they should fix it! Who knows, they might be the ones that put the wheel on? Have you priced a new one?

BTW, what size tires did they put on? Mine has 255's front and rear and they didn't rub with the rears on front.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:31 PM
Teching In

I have 225s on the front and back. It does rub, but not much. They said eventually its going to do damage, and I need to replace it asap.

I have no idea who put this rim on my car, but the place where I got my car was this shady used car dealership. I got this car for so cheap compared to all the other GXPs for sale. So they probably did replace it. I bought the car as is because I was told it had a warranty. I was stupid and didn't make them prove it- I don't have any warranty. Anyways a powertrain warranty wouldn't help me with this. And they didn't have any thirty day guarantee either. I got totally ripped off because of my stupidity.

I have priced a used rim from this place that sells late model GM used parts out of Cleveland. It's going to run me about $250 plus $40 shipping. They don't have any currently in stock and apparently they go fast because they are prone to bending and rash. I haven't been able to call some junk yards yet, but I'm going to tomorrow.

By the way, the place where I get my service work done isn't the same place that I bought my car. So far, I have had this car for almost a month, and I have had to replace the power steering hose and pump, stabilizer links, and a motor mount. Now I have this rim issue. I guess you learn a lot from buying your first car...
Old 06-02-2010, 08:32 PM
On The Tree

All of my worst cars came from used car dealerships!! They are not all bad, I got a decent truck from one, but many are shady.
I am sure once you work through the bugs (which someone knew about) you will be fine.
Think of it this way, you got it cheaper, maybe by the time you fix the problems you will be at what you would have paid for another one.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:58 PM
Teching In

Yea no kidding.

The good news is that the place where I get my car serviced feels bad for me so they are replacing a motor mount for free.

Also I found a wheel! I couldn't see a picture because a salvage yard found it for me, so hopefully its the right one...It's coming from Kansas so I won't see it until next week, and I had to prepay.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

thats cuz your a girl. ******* scumbags if it was one of us "hey lets **** this guy in the ***!"

Quick Reply: Power Steering Issue Resolved