LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

safe to drive on trip

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 02:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default safe to drive on trip

hi guys i have a 06 monte ss with 45000 miles and my tranny started acting up. about once a week usually on a monday when my car has been sitting over the weekend ill start her up and let it warm up. ill leave my house and come to the stoplight and when it turns green ill step on the gas and the rpm will come up and the car will barely move and then catch hard and go. this will happen at the first couple stoplights and then it wont happen anymore till the next time she sits like over the weekend. my question is will it be safe to drive to tenneesee i live in s florida and plan on visiting my family for the holidays. thanks for any advice and replies
Old 12-11-2010, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Check your fluid level. You could also use a new trans filter and new fluid if u havent done so yet
Old 12-11-2010, 03:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by monte_with_a_LS4
Check your fluid level. You could also use a new trans filter and new fluid if u havent done so yet
i did change the filter and fluid with dext 6 valvoline full synthetic when the problem first started then i added lucas trans additive but didnt help
Old 12-11-2010, 03:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I wouldn't do it. If you take it, be sure that you have AAA or an equivalent towing coverage.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by texasGXP08
I wouldn't do it. If you take it, be sure that you have AAA or an equivalent towing coverage.
thanks bro thats a good idea i will see what i have on my insurance
Old 12-11-2010, 05:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea i wouldnt do it period... i did that last year and the car left me stranded in another city pretty far from home. Sure insurance covered it and what not but they took it to a local dealer and i had to get a rental and then go back to go pick it up when it was ready, it was just a big pain in the ***. If you have another vehicle you can use, do so.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:42 PM

do a tranny fluid and filter change, see if that helps. seems like it has to warm up first to fully engage the clutch for some reason.

might be fine on the trip, prolly not best idea but it's on u buddy
Old 12-11-2010, 09:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is how the trans started acting in our old '03 GTP before it finally started slipping on shifts and eventually in all gears.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:44 AM
TECH Addict

sounds pretty sketchy
Old 12-12-2010, 09:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Johnny, I definitely wouldn't trust it for a trip. It very well could make the trip no problem, but Murphy's Law probably would come into effect at the worst possible time. I'd look into how much a rental would cost vs. flying up there. Or if you have another car that'd be the better option. Or just trade her in when the trans is on a good day lol
Old 12-12-2010, 01:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DuronClocker
This is how the trans started acting in our old '03 GTP before it finally started slipping on shifts and eventually in all gears.

This is the ultimate fate of all 4T65-HD's displaying this behavior. It's only a matter of time before it fails.

Most likely, the OP's car will probably make the trip, as it seems like it's in the earliest stages of the problem, but eventually, the car will be undriveable. It's just a matter of when, not if.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:37 PM
TECH Addict

Mine's been doing this in cooler weather for over a year now. Combined with the low speed converter unlock/lock rocking horse effect since August '09, I'm surprised it's made it this long. It's up to you....mine does it pretty bad after a road trip even with the shift kit, tune, and cooler keeping the temps down.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:51 PM
Teching In

hey guys i found good sam insurance for my car they gave me a quote of 389 for the year . my buddy recommended them and they cover engine and trans . they will pay anyone you decide to get it fixed at no questions asked. my friend has been dealing with them for over 5 years now and he said they are great and they get great reviews. my plan is to take my car to a friends tranny shop and have him order a tep tranny and have him put it in and good sam will pay. after a couple months of having the policy of course hehe
Old 12-13-2010, 12:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jonnyss06
hey guys i found good sam insurance for my car they gave me a quote of 389 for the year . my buddy recommended them and they cover engine and trans . they will pay anyone you decide to get it fixed at no questions asked. my friend has been dealing with them for over 5 years now and he said they are great and they get great reviews. my plan is to take my car to a friends tranny shop and have him order a tep tranny and have him put it in and good sam will pay. after a couple months of having the policy of course hehe
Got a link to the info in this? Let us know how it goes!