Print Wikipost

Trans Fluid change?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 08:16 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans Fluid change?

Hey everyone,
Well I'm a sort of new owner (Bought Oct 2010) of a 2007 GXP. I bought the car with 49k miles on it, it now has just over 57k (we do a lot of highway driving). I've changed the oil twice now (once the day I bought it) and haven't gotten around to the trans fluid yet, although when pulling the dipstick it looks nice and red and the level is perfect. I have no idea if the previous owner ever did a trans service, but judging by the color it has to have been done at some point. I HAVE had the car do the wierd slip-catch thing from a stop at least once, but otherwise the car seems to drive and shift perfectly. I have an aftermarket warranty on the car and I'm hoping that I can get them to replace the trans in this thing at some point before it expires (at 94k miles). Should I do a trans service on this thing? Or should I just drive it and hope it blows by 94k? I've read a lot about the trans issues everyones been having on these cars and it makes me real paranoid, but when I drive it it really seems ok. Thoughts?
Old 01-07-2011, 08:26 AM
TECH Regular

Personally, I would just ride it out until it blows because when it does, you will have a new transmission. If for some reason the flush were to help the tray survive the miles, at 96k it would go out with our luck.

Also, Great Quote!
Old 01-07-2011, 12:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BlauGXP
Hey everyone,
Well I'm a sort of new owner (Bought Oct 2010) of a 2007 GXP. I bought the car with 49k miles on it, it now has just over 57k (we do a lot of highway driving). I've changed the oil twice now (once the day I bought it) and haven't gotten around to the trans fluid yet, although when pulling the dipstick it looks nice and red and the level is perfect. I have no idea if the previous owner ever did a trans service, but judging by the color it has to have been done at some point. I HAVE had the car do the wierd slip-catch thing from a stop at least once, but otherwise the car seems to drive and shift perfectly. I have an aftermarket warranty on the car and I'm hoping that I can get them to replace the trans in this thing at some point before it expires (at 94k miles). Should I do a trans service on this thing? Or should I just drive it and hope it blows by 94k? I've read a lot about the trans issues everyones been having on these cars and it makes me real paranoid, but when I drive it it really seems ok. Thoughts?
The slip and catch will only get worse. The key is getting it do it for the dealer. I would definitely get the trans services, especially if the fluid is dark and smells burnt. The last thing you'd want to have happen is, the trans fails, but the warranty company denies service because they claim that you didn't do the proper maintenance on the car.

If you do the service yourself, take pictures if you find material in the pan, and save the material. You can show it to the shop that does the work and they can use it to help get the thing warrantied, if necessary. Also, save your receipts for the fluid and filter you buy.

And I'll add you to the list of people who've experienced transmission anomalies.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:04 PM
Staging Lane

i know this is an old post but I am currently trying to change my tranny fluid

I went to the dealer to ask about the tranny fluid flush and replace with new oil but they dont replace the filter gasket pan something .....and another shop told me that if I had my fluid replaced that the proper way is to service everything not just the tranny fluid who should i go with please help me decide

should I go with the deaaler or with the shop that says they will service the pan and oil gasket etc...
Old 03-15-2011, 07:38 PM
Staging Lane

From what I've read, the proper way to get the trans fluid changed is to have them drop the pan, replace the filter AND pan gasket, then re-fill it with fluid. Make sure that they use Dexron VI, though, as if they use the wrong fluid, you're trans is toast.

Still haven't done mine and I just rolled over 60k miles. Trans is starting to feel funny if I hit it more than about 1/4 throttle after slowing down a bit (like if someone is turning in front of me, etc.). It likes to go BANG when it downshifts. Hooray for GM's 100k powertrain warranty!!
Old 03-15-2011, 10:20 PM
Launching!

Our pan gasket is reusable. I would have the pan dropped, filter replaced and only if needed replace the pan gasket. I reused mine the 1st time and I'll see how it looks the 2nd time in a few weeks when I do the tranny service again.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:17 PM
TECH Resident

How many miles are you guys going before doing this?
Old 03-16-2011, 01:36 PM
Staging Lane

If you just drop the pan how much fluid does it take to fill it back up? Jeff
Old 03-16-2011, 02:54 PM
Staging Lane

Got it done yesterday and I was at 48,000 miles car feels grrrreat and smooth
Old 03-16-2011, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My local dealer wants $250 for filter/fluid.

How hard is it do yourself?

I am at 51580...
Old 03-16-2011, 03:45 PM
Launching!

Its not hard at all to do, and takes about 8qts to fill back up and depending on cost of fluid should be around or under $100 total. I do mine every 30kmi or so.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by plmrass
If you just drop the pan how much fluid does it take to fill it back up? Jeff
Did my impala a few weeks ago, I bought 8 quarts, it used 7. BTW, the fluid is 6-7 dollars a quart + it's synthetic.

The cost of the filter from the dealer will drop your jaw.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:17 PM
Staging Lane

Did you Clear the Fluid in the radiator too? And has anyone used the MAX ATF from Royal Purple? My fluid Is starting to brown a bit and its slipped Probably once or twice going up a small grades. 06 GXP

Edit; Royal Purple is NOT recommended in DEXRON-VI Via the website. Sigh
Old 01-25-2014, 01:02 PM
Teching In

I use AMS ATF Synthetic Oil ONLY, works like a charm👍

Quick Reply: Trans Fluid change?