LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

re: Heated Seat failure

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 09:47 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re: Heated Seat failure

I did some searching, so I apologize if this has been address previously...

Very happy with my 2006 SS, the only issue is that the drivers side heated seat is not working. If you push the button, it lights up but then turns off a few seconds later. Not sure if it's the switch or a grounding issue somewhere. Anyone had this problem before and have any advice? I took the control panel out of the car, hoping I could just swap switches to see if that was the problem. However, I didn't have the screw head to completely take apart the unit. Is it soldered in there? Or can I switch them out? Any thoughts??

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-07-2011, 10:28 AM
On The Tree

The switches themselves are part of the heater control panel. Thing is, it may be one of the actual heater elements in the seat. They do have a tendency to burn out as well.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:32 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Red06SS
The switches themselves are part of the heater control panel. Thing is, it may be one of the actual heater elements in the seat. They do have a tendency to burn out as well.
So, no way to alternate the switches to see if it's bad? Other than replacing the whole unit? Ugh.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:57 AM
Staging Lane

WOW THAT IS SO IRONIC I WAS GOING TO START A THREAD ON THIS SAME EXACT ISSUE. I NOTICED LAST NIGHT WHILE ON BREAK THAT WHEN I TURN THE DRIVERS SIDE HEATED SEAT ON THAT IT CUTS OFF. I ACTUALLY HAD RECORDED IT ON MY CELL PHONE AND WAS GOING TO POST IT AND START A THREAD ON THIS EXACT ISSUE TODAY. WOW THAT'S CRAZY. Well here's the video notice the passenger seats stay on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVJwR5oS_BM
Old 01-07-2011, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

that is odd cause i just brought this up myself last week. same problem here. i can tell you its not the fuse. both seats run on the same fuse. im going to try and tough it out untill theres a few things wrong with it since i dont want to pay the deductible.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:20 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Red06SS
Buy the bottom element online and take it to a upholstry shop for the install.

You can always ask the dealer who they use for a trim shop.

Jim
Old 01-07-2011, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

i dont think its the element. i think its something small. i think if it was the element the light would come on and the seat wouldnt heat. mine is displaying the same symptoms of above. where the light coes on the seat doesnt heat and 2 seconds later the light will go back out. on my other forum i guy posted a walk through on how to repair the seat if theres an element issue. if you want i can look for it and post a link.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:34 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TheMonteMan
i dont think its the element. i think its something small. i think if it was the element the light would come on and the seat wouldnt heat. mine is displaying the same symptoms of above. where the light coes on the seat doesnt heat and 2 seconds later the light will go back out. on my other forum i guy posted a walk through on how to repair the seat if theres an element issue. if you want i can look for it and post a link.
I would greatly appreciate that! Would at least give me a place to start looking!

And you think it's something small? Such as? bad connection somewhere?
Old 01-07-2011, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

idk if its a bad connection. i would think if it was that it would do it only on bumps. mine will do it parked. like i said this isnt a fix for the problem that ours is exhibiting, but itll give you something to look at at the very least. this is on an earlier model monte(2000/2005), but im sure its similar.
http://montecarloforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25224
Old 01-07-2011, 08:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

could it be a fuse because my driver's been went out and I think the passengers out now!! WTF??

BTW: off topic, I met ATLterrell Downtown on New Years!!! COOL THING!!! wassuper!!
Old 01-07-2011, 09:16 PM
Launching!

I had the same problem shortly after I purchased my 07 SS. The light on the heated seat switch would come on for a short period only when the switch was turned on. No heat att all from the seat.... It was a year old and had 12000 miles on it at the time and still under waranntee. It was the bottom heat element. It had a short. Its a common problem. I believe if you let it go too long, you can burn out the other seat as well. It was replaced and I have had no further problems with it.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:13 PM
Staging Lane

Whatgood 07Carlocrusader.... Yhea that was ironic seeing ur one of a kind monte down town on New Years eve,, small world..

Quick Reply: re: Heated Seat failure