LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

HELP with problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 03:23 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP with problem

Hi everyone,

Today I was driving on the freeway at the speed limit and all of a sudden my 2006 impala ss power felt like it just went out. I had to pull over and turn the car off and turn it back on

It turned on and continued to turn on but it was very frightening to see my gas lever, temp lever, and rpm lever and even speed to just shut down as if I was turning it off

please help me find out what to do

... I was thinking of going to the dealer and telling them exactly what happened but just need help from you guys to see if it has happened to anyone before and what steps to take
Old 03-13-2011, 06:15 AM
Launching!

Wait, you were driving and the car quit on you? Then you started it back up and it was fine?
Old 03-13-2011, 10:25 AM
Staging Lane

Yea i was friving on freeway and all of a sudden all electric stuff on car just shut off it happened twice and kept going but the third time i had to pull over and turned it off and dan back on it was fine after i did that
Old 03-13-2011, 10:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Had something similar happen about two years ago while on the highway - turns out that the positive terminal on the battery was loose - a couple of bad frost heaves on the highway caused the terminal to intermittently lose contact.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:03 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for reply. So you think it just had to do with the terminals or similar?
Old 03-13-2011, 11:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just putting it out as a possibility. I'm not terribly impressed with the type of clamp GM used on the battery terminals, with the tapered battery terminals, it is possible for the cables to work loose after being subjected to long-term vibrations.

When this happened to me, the clock and radio presets were all lost - just like after a dead battery. If this didn't happen to you, it could be a fault elsewhere in the electrical system.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The clamps suck and so do the delco batteries. I had mine replaced twice under warranty for leaking acid from the positive terminal. The corrosion was insane. For the third battery, I bought an optima out of pocket and haven't looked back...

Last edited by texasGXP08; 03-13-2011 at 02:37 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:40 PM
Launching!

Yeah, like the other guys said, check the connections at the battery and rule that out first.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:24 PM
Staging Lane

I just recently like a minth and a half ago bought an optima yellowtop so it not my battery
i agree with the clamps you guys and couple buddies have mentioned that these style clamps suck *****

Feels like my imp is dying slowly