LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

06 Monte Carlo SS stereo question

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 Monte Carlo SS stereo question

I recently purchased a Kenwood double din headunit for my 06 monte, but I almost immediately regret buying it because I can't seem to find ANY stereo wiring harnesses that will retain onstar, warning chimes, or steering wheel controls and half of the ones ive looked at ($150-200) say that it won't allow you to take the car out of park after installation in the buyer reviews.
Do I have to suck it up and pay that $200+ and risk the problems, or does anyone know a better way to go about this, or have done it in the past and can recommend a harness that works.
All help is appreciated, Thanks
Old 04-02-2015, 10:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd call Best Buy and ask to speak to someone in the car audio dept. I bombarded them with questions when I first looked into it and they were glad to answer all my questions. They did a complete custom install on my old 07 Impala and it did require a special box to retain the blinker sounds and door chimes and all that happy jazz.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:15 PM
On The Tree

im currently in the same boat whitegold. i just got a 06 ss 2 weeks ago, and looking to do a full install as well.
im curently looking for the right module to retain the door chimes, and steering wheel controls. depending on the year of your vehicle onstar may or may not work. i believe if its a 07 or older, it will no longer work, as onstar only supplies service to digital service, where as 07 and older are analog. so thatll get you out of a specific module.

as far as the park. yes a aftermarket deck will let you shift out of park. what you may be confused with is, you will only be able to use certain functions of your deck while in park. get on ebay or amazon, and you can find a parking brake bypass. its usally just a 3 wire hookup, and it tricks the stereo into thinking its in park all the time, and allows all functions to work again. its really simple.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by whitegold91
I recently purchased a Kenwood double din headunit for my 06 monte, but I almost immediately regret buying it because I can't seem to find ANY stereo wiring harnesses that will retain onstar, warning chimes, or steering wheel controls and half of the ones ive looked at ($150-200) say that it won't allow you to take the car out of park after installation in the buyer reviews.
Do I have to suck it up and pay that $200+ and risk the problems, or does anyone know a better way to go about this, or have done it in the past and can recommend a harness that works.
All help is appreciated, Thanks
first off what model kenwood did u get? there is a solution that is a little cheaper and much better than any other solution id called idatalink mastro go to there website with a kenwood radio it will retain onstar,rap,door chimes,wheel controls, and give full gauges on the radio including tpms and door and trunk status the cost of the module retail is about 129 and u will need a 29$ harness to work with it.. please feel free the email me thewireguy561@gmail.com i am a audio tech and install this type of stuff daily hope i helped
Old 04-03-2015, 10:26 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 08 pimpala ss
first off what model kenwood did u get? there is a solution that is a little cheaper and much better than any other solution id called idatalink mastro go to there website with a kenwood radio it will retain onstar,rap,door chimes,wheel controls, and give full gauges on the radio including tpms and door and trunk status the cost of the module retail is about 129 and u will need a 29$ harness to work with it.. please feel free the email me thewireguy561@gmail.com i am a audio tech and install this type of stuff daily hope i helped
Interesting. Pics??
Old 04-03-2015, 03:26 PM
On The Tree

why would you want to? its not going to should nearly as good as the factory Bose system. I have a 07 SS it has the best sound you can buy
Old 04-03-2015, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any opinion on the best navigation/stereo for around 1 grand ?

Last edited by Sint3k; 04-03-2015 at 08:52 PM.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sint3k
Any opinion on the best navigation/stereo for around 1 grand ?

Kenwood dnx892HD and use it with a idatalinkmastro
Old 04-04-2015, 12:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chaney1974
why would you want to? its not going to should nearly as good as the factory Bose system. I have a 07 SS it has the best sound you can buy
Well u must live in a cage and have no ear for actual good sound.. if it ain't got no highs no lows it's bose I have people with brand new cars come to me to rip bose crap out all day long
Old 04-04-2015, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well u must live in a cage and have no ear for actual good sound.. if it ain't got no highs no lows it's bose I have people with brand new cars come to me to rip bose crap out all day long
I can see how some people might think the system sounds good, if you have never heard better how can you really know. I just think its the fact that some people have not been properly introduced to quality equipment and audio processors/Tuning. Owell
Old 04-06-2015, 09:34 AM
On The Tree

spend your money how you wish, but you really should spend it on the motor and unleash it instead because they are slow and sluggish stock. I have a 07 SS Monte Carlo it now performs like a v8 should its no longer a turd and can stand alone against my W6S
Old 04-06-2015, 09:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chaney1974
spend your money how you wish, but you really should spend it on the motor and unleash it instead because they are slow and sluggish stock. I have a 07 SS Monte Carlo it now performs like a v8 should its no longer a turd and can stand alone against my W6S

Ive put a TEP full build transmission into my car and its running a Cartuning turbo. Its plenty for what i need and im sureit will have no problem against a stock WS6. If your intentions are to upset people, your at the . The stereo is actually one of the last things im working on because that was my personal priority's. I appreciate you being so concerned.
Old 04-10-2015, 08:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mastro in action in a escalade

Old 04-11-2015, 06:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

show off
Old 04-11-2015, 09:45 AM
Staging Lane

Sweet Baby Jesus! I can have a head unit like that for less than 200 bucks?!?!?!?!?
Old 04-12-2015, 12:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 05GXPjake
Sweet Baby Jesus! I can have a head unit like that for less than 200 bucks?!?!?!?!?
More like 2000$$$ But that's top of the line it can be had for about 500 with a more entry level head unit
Old 04-13-2015, 01:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sint3k
Ive put a TEP full build transmission into my car and its running a Cartuning turbo. Its plenty for what i need and im sureit will have no problem against a stock WS6. If your intentions are to upset people, your at the . The stereo is actually one of the last things im working on because that was my personal priority's. I appreciate you being so concerned.
sorry I did not mean to upset anyone
Old 04-21-2015, 09:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am also contemplating a stereo replacement in my 08 GXP. I know I lose the date feature but does it still display on the HUD radio information or would that be based on the radio you choose? Also do you lose vehicle speed noise function or is that also dependent on the chosen radio? I am considering a Kenwood model DNX571HD although I would consider other comparable priced models with nav. Let me know your thoughts if you can. Thanks

Quick Reply: 06 Monte Carlo SS stereo question