LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

P0455 - Evap. Emissions problem - Gas Cap?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 12:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0455 - Evap. Emissions problem - Gas Cap?

Started the car last night and got a "Tighten Gas Cap" message in the DIC. Got out of the car and reinstalled the cap...no problem noted.

Went to remote start the car a couple hours ago and it would not start. Started her up with the key and saw the CEL on. Went to my meeting and when i left i plugged in the DIablo and pulled the P0455 code...Evap. Emissions failure.

Just googled the code and found that it's likely related to the Gas Cap message...and it's common on Vettes and other GM vehicles. While i no longer have the DIC message, I'm going to inspect the cap on my lunch break, clear the code and see if/when it comes back. I'll keep you informed.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:47 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

had this happen on my mini van...

usually takes a couple driving cycles to clear on its own...

here's how to do a complete driving cycle in about 15 minutes...

http://obdii.com/drivecycle.html

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 10-22-2007, 07:02 PM
TECH Addict

I just deleted it with good'ole Diablo. We'll see what happens. And while i had that paperweight out, i decided to do a bit'o loggin'...lew...expect an eMail shortly ;-)
Old 10-22-2007, 07:45 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by BuffaloSS
...And while i had that paperweight out, i decided to do a bit'o loggin'...lew...expect an eMail shortly ;-)...
paperweight...

k man, send it along!!

been doin some diggin under my car tonight as well... saw something hangin down under the front air dam... was some black tar tape type stuff.... looks like it's used to hold some mesh screen stuff over the radiator hose that goes along the bottom there... well, that tape stuff is off, and that mesh is moving along the hose freely, so hopefully no extreme pressure or hose bubbles form, cuz that mesh aint gonna restrain it... LMAO

also found a couple loose wire harnesses underneath... that's always nice...

pushed the plastic clips into the holes myself to secure them...

COME ON CAMARO!!!

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
Old 10-22-2007, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah, will take a few start cycles for the flag to reset (unless you manually reset it with a programer).
Old 10-22-2007, 08:06 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Buff... goin through your log now...

Old 11-08-2007, 08:55 AM
TECH Addict

Well, this keeps rearing it's ugly head...and my mileage is worse than usual...so she's going under the knife next week sometime. Will let you know what happens.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:00 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

everything still connected under the hood? no vacuum leaks?? crankcase vent tube still connected to your K&N intake tube?? could be a bad gas cap - not sealing correctly anymore, could be your PCV valve, etc etc...

here's some good info about that code:

http://www.gearchatter.com/viewtopic11721.php

Last edited by 06MonteSS; 11-08-2007 at 09:17 AM.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

either gas cap, or something with the evap canister. typical gm crap
Old 11-08-2007, 11:18 AM
Launching!

happened on my moms vette about a month ago, my dad and i were drivin to someplace out on the eastern part of long island and that message came up goin to and from this place. waited about 2 weeks and it went away
Old 11-08-2007, 01:17 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, i've heard that it's a common problem on the Vette.

It's been about two weeks and it's still there. It's never gone away on its own, though...but i have cleared it with the Diablo a couple times (just to get the remote start back). Pretty sure it's the gas cap...hence the error message...but i'll let the dealer do it and feel good about themselves until they start to stumble around on my other 8 issues.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just got that twice over the weekend ... since I got a "tighten gas cap" message several hundred times over the past year I bought a new gas cap.

Drove all weekend, CEL light is still on ... what next? PVC?

Where is the evap canister on these cars?

Last edited by Kazmaniac; 12-10-2007 at 11:44 PM.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:39 PM
On The Tree

i had that same issue with mine except i never got a message in the DIC... the check engine light came on, i took it in and they replaced the cap and problem solved
Old 12-11-2007, 08:02 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Kazmaniac
Just got that twice over the weekend ... since I got a "tighten gas cap" message several hundred times over the past year I bought a new gas cap.

Drove all weekend, CEL light is still on ... what next? PVC?

Where is the evap canister on these cars?
They replaced the canister and cleared the CEL, but the next day i got code p0440...something about EVAP circuit intermittent. Not sure what the hell that was about, but they fixed it. Since i still have to go back for a couple things that they had to order parts for (windows & steering rack), we never actually did the final invoice for the entire job. I forgot to ask them what the code was for...but i'm guessing they didn't do something right with the canister install.

Unfortunately, i haven't a clue as to the location of the EVAP canister. Good luck Kaz.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:26 PM
Staging Lane

I ordered a canister and a gas cap for my 06. I've replaced the gas cap and that did nothing, I will let you know when I get a chance to replace the canister.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:01 PM
TECH Regular

P0442 is usually gas cap cuz its a small leak, other codes usually mean something else is leaking larger amounts
Old 12-13-2007, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

More than likely the canister is in a fender well or underneath something, no room under the hood.

A guy at work said his brother's Canyon had the same issue, said he got rid of the light with a bottle of fuel injector cleaner, so I'll try the $6.99 fix since I can't remember the last time I did it.

Right after 40K, mine blew the P/S high side line; threw an airbag code and now this. Making up for lost time ...
Old 12-14-2007, 08:53 AM
TECH Addict

Kaz...is that the P/S line that had the TSB for bursting? Did you have that done yet? Now that you're out of warranty (if so) it sounds like a costly dealer repair.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:55 PM
TECH Junkie

I keep getting airbag lights too....maybe I should check my P/S lines?
Old 12-14-2007, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BuffaloSS
Kaz...is that the P/S line that had the TSB for bursting? Did you have that done yet? Now that you're out of warranty (if so) it sounds like a costly dealer repair.
Had too! Quite the work out with manual steering ... no more talking on the cell driving!

Yes and no - mine was not part of the recall, but GM covered it anyway. I have a great dealer, they negotiated it! So props to both of them!

The line was $63, so I would have done it myself before I paid $800. One of the guys posted the TSB on this site, which had the instructions - pretty straight forward - remove motor mount, clamps, etc.

Quick Reply: P0455 - Evap. Emissions problem - Gas Cap?