Yea thats different
Old 11-12-2008, 08:50 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Looks fun.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

holy **** that is tight!!!!! who was making that? why didnt it make production?
Old 11-12-2008, 06:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've always loved Roots/Whipple charges over Centrifugal. They just LOOK powerful compared to the other

I wouldn't doubt the main reason it didn't go into production (seeing as I read the article lol) was due to the fact that it was a bit of a problem child under 2K RPM and cold starts. I suspect this is due to being a ECM equipped car, and had they used the PCM setup that 94s got, things probably would've changed!

I couldn't figure out WHY on earth they ran the intake setup like that... till I read farther in and even then didn't quite hit me. Then BAM! Duh, intercooler I think they would've been much better off with a stock location air filter, and using that spot under the ram air for the intercooler! It's the only thing that would make sense, to me. You're running a supercharger that's going to be warming the air from .... Wait a second, don't they have the system backwards anyways?! Maybe it's just me, but I can't see the benefit of running the intercooler BEFORE the supercharger. If it's running off engine coolant, that air passing through the intercooler isn't going to be all that chilly anymore. Even if it's not, you're only going to get the air temp down what, maybe 10f below outside temps? Anyways, going back to my previous though: The intercooler would've been better off under the ram air. But, I don't pretend to know what's best for boosted vehicles, or understand why a pre-supercharger intercooler would benefit

Still very cool that it was thought of heh
Old 11-13-2008, 11:40 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ Yeah, I noticed the intercooler setup was odd too. It's still pretty nifty. I didn't read the article, but it looks like an Eaton M90.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
^ Yeah, I noticed the intercooler setup was odd too. It's still pretty nifty. I didn't read the article, but it looks like an Eaton M90.
Probably was based off it heh "experimental Eaton 112ci"
Old 11-13-2008, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

neat although, its still a V8 so why not just put it on the 5.7 lt1.....

there was a thread a while back where some guy here was making a roots type blower for the LT1's I think... what ever happened to that???
Old 11-13-2008, 11:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well, here's my idea then for the LT1 Magnuson

To give a better idea, I'm jacking pictures from here
http://www.magnacharger.com/pdf/catalog.pdf

What we'd need to do would be take the GEN 1E supercharger, which should fit on ours w/ some of the standard work needed to fit a GEN 1 intake on our motors (intercooler under charger between baseplate).

Flip it around so the snout is on the back, and 'borrow' the setup off the GEN III/IV (this is truck, not the one we'd use just a good pic). So that the pulley setup is now routed to the back of the motor, since we don't have lots of room between the motor and firewall.

Which then will give us the front facing TB mount and won't throw the silly belt setup WAY out into the radiator. The Y and F body LS cars don't need an extension pulley, it just runs off the factory setup. With all that then, we run the longer TB snout.

And then finally you have a Whipple/Roots style charger on an LT1 WITH intercooler and not a whole cluster fuq to the engine bay

Quick Reply: This is really cool