LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

starter takes forever?????????????

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 10:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter takes forever?????????????

every time i start my car cold the starter cranks for 10-15 seconds. why? when it's hot and i shut it off within ten minutes of shut off it starts right up but anytime after that it takes that long to start. any suggestions or anyone know what's wrong?
Old 01-05-2009, 10:27 PM
TECH Junkie

That sounds just like my car. The problem is the fuel probably.

Try turning the key off and on about 10 times before you start it, let the fuel pump prime all the way before turning the key back. If it starts right up, it's a fuel problem. Likely causes: leaky injectors, bad fuel pressure regulator, or check valve in fuel pump (most common)
Old 01-05-2009, 10:28 PM
Staging Lane

how do you fix any of those problems
Old 01-05-2009, 10:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Replace the parts? I've narrowed mine down to being the fuel pump. So it's getting a Racetronix pump within the month.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:33 PM
Staging Lane

where is the fuel pressure regulator?
Old 01-05-2009, 10:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Behind the intake manifold, on the driver side kinda.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:38 PM
Staging Lane

that looks like a pain in the dick. also, it's vacuum operated?????
Old 01-05-2009, 10:40 PM
Staging Lane

i also never smell gas. so it can't be leaky injectors. my oil looks normal as well.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Yeah i hated having to change my FPR. It can be done without taking the fuel rails off which wouldn't be hard. See the little torx bit holding it on? I fucked up the hole real good, so I had to take the fuel rails off and dremel the bolt off.

Like I said, the fuel pump is the most common failure for this sort of thing. Get a fuel pressure gauge and verify that the pressure drops over time so we KNOW its a fuel problem.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:42 PM
Staging Lane

what size torx bit is it
Old 01-05-2009, 10:43 PM
TECH Junkie

I wanna say a T25 or T27 IIRC. Also a fuel pressure gauge hooks up to the schrader valve you see in the picture.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:45 PM
Staging Lane

so after i shut the car down plug in the pressure gauge and see what happens or do i pop it on during operation.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Taken from Shbox.com

http://www.shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html
A fuel pressure test gauge can be bought at your local auto supply for ~$35. Attach it to the schrader valve that is on the fuel rail. Schrader valve location on 1994-1997

Normal pressure when the engine is not running and lines have been pressurized is 41-47 psi. This same pressure should be observed at wide open throttle (WOT). WOT can be simulated by removing the vacuum hose to the regulator at idle. At idle (because of the effect of the vacuum to the regulator) pressure will be less than what you observe with the vacuum line off. There may be anything from a 3 to 10 psi difference. Note: any indication of fuel in the vacuum line to the regulator, means the regulator is leaking and should be replaced. Check the line for fuel or the smell of fuel.

To fully determine that you don't have a pressure drop off during actual WOT situations, you should tape the gauge to your windshield and take it for a test run. This will tell you if the pump can meet actual fuel flow demands at pressure and not just at a simulated WOT condition (as when removing the vacuum to the regulator).

When you have a gauge connected and the pressure looks initially good and then bleeds off quickly when you shut the engine off, you can do a couple of tests to help you figure out where the pressure loss is.

What the factory manual says to temporarily install, is a set of "fuel line shut off adapters" (probably something the normal guy is not going to have available). You remove the fuel lines from the rail and connect these valves in between. This lets you shut off either side of the lines for testing.

You can do the same thing by pinching the flexible lines to shut them off, but risk breaking them. You might be able to do it (your risk) by using a needle nose vise grips and putting some scrap hose as cushions on the jaws. Then use that to clamp off the line just enough to seal it. Obviously, this is not the best way to shut off the lines and could result in breakage. Heat and age can make the hoses brittle. If you don't want to risk it, don't. It's just a suggestion.

You can use the fuel pump prime connector for pressurizing the system (jumper 12v to it to run the pump).

Watch your gauge as you jumper the prime connector. When you have good pressure remove the jumper and clamp off (or use shut off valve) the fuel supply line (3/8 pipe). If pressure holds, you have a leak on the feed line somewhere before it gets to the clamp (or shut off valve) or at the check ball in the pump. If it still goes down, release your clamp (or open shut off valve). Pressurize the system again, then remove the jumper and this time clamp (or shut off) the return line (5/16 line). If pressure holds, then the regulator is faulty. If pressure does not hold, you need to locate leaky injector(s).

If you can't tell a leaky injector from reading the plugs, you can look and see if injectors are leaking by removing the fuel rail screws and pull the rail and all the injectors up, so you can see under them. Leave them over the injector ports. Pressurized the system and look under the injectors to see if any are dripping.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:58 PM
Staging Lane

awesome site thanks