LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

if you had the cash

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 12:59 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default if you had the cash

so my car got rear ended but is still very driveable. i have a brand new transmission (lvl 1 performabuilt)

and i got 4200 for the total. and i am contemplating just putting 4200 into the motor and making it a sleeper (because who expects a rear ended car to haul ***?)

if you had that much cash what would you do to the motor? and how much hp would you expect? this car would have to be realiable so not a 600 shot of nitrous and spray till it blows kind of deal (motor currently has 133xxx miles and runs strong)

fyi this thread is mostly for fun but an option.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Pretty similar to what happened with my car. Hit a deer insurance company totaled it, bought it back, with the $4-5K or so left I bought the replacement parts used off an old cop car. Bought a wagon for a new daily driver and bought mods.

That much should do heads/cam/tune and some other supporting stuff like fuel system.

Probably pickup a few parts and get it halfway back into shape yourself.

Took a friend and I a day to swap the front clip on my car, neither of us having done much body panel replacement before.

I actually stumbled on some pics the other day, I should scan them.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I'd get a heads and cam package from Advanced Induction or Lloyd Elliot. That should eat 2000-2500. Then I'd all of the supporting mods...headers, exhaust, TB, ported intake, CAI, EWP. Add a tune, liquids, gaskets and your budget should just about be gone.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:48 PM
TECH Addict

i cant beleive they gave you that much, H/C would be the way to go
Old 03-09-2009, 03:22 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
I'd get a heads and cam package from Advanced Induction or Lloyd Elliot. That should eat 2000-2500. Then I'd all of the supporting mods...headers, exhaust, TB, ported intake, CAI, EWP. Add a tune, liquids, gaskets and your budget should just about be gone.
+1..A nice heads and cam set up would set you good along with the supporting mods. Look into some suspension upgrades as well. Panhard bar, torque arm, LCA's, springs/shocks etc etc..
Old 03-09-2009, 03:27 PM
11 Second Club

Don't know what the car looks like after the accident (hope no one got hurt).
I'd use the cash to replace anything that looks real bad with parts from a part-out car
then invest the rest in a nice H/C combo. It just seems to be the best bang for your buck.
Expect end up in around 380-420 at the wheels, depending what you install; it looks like
you already have some of the external supporting mods you would need.
Don't forget to have it properly tuned.

Alternatively, you could build a small N20 kit to stack on top of the H/C and leave the body as-is.

There's not quite enough cash there to build a solid bottom end and still have enough
left over for a complimenting top end.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:47 PM
Banned

yea right now its just an idea. my dad wants me to save up my money for a 96+ vet, or a very low milliage ls1 fbody.

but who doesnt want a vette,cobra killer?

(i make alot of money during the sumer made 10k last year should make same if not more this year)
Old 03-09-2009, 04:01 PM
TECH Resident

dude fix the rear end, find a good reputable shop (there are plenty out there) explain the situation to them, and have the car repaired cost efficiently. Just because the car seems fine does not mean that you escaped destruction of suspension parts, diff, wheels, etc.

After all of that jazz is cleared: let us know how much is left, and we can evaluate mod money from there. No point in having a bad *** car that looks like turd. IMO
Old 03-10-2009, 12:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by phirepower
dude fix the rear end, find a good reputable shop (there are plenty out there) explain the situation to them, and have the car repaired cost efficiently. Just because the car seems fine does not mean that you escaped destruction of suspension parts, diff, wheels, etc.

After all of that jazz is cleared: let us know how much is left, and we can evaluate mod money from there. No point in having a bad *** car that looks like turd. IMO
suspension, difrential, wheels, unibody and everything else is fine. ive taken it to a shop to ask about those components, there in tack
Old 03-10-2009, 03:32 PM
TECH Resident

^In that case I do believe a trip to Vegas is in order!

But seriously dude, having a rat rod (car that is remarkably fast, but is questionable in appearance) is always sweet, however I'm curious to see pictures of this damage. Trust me man you can make you car fast which I do recommend, but make sure it looks presentable as well.

So lets see some carnage pics!!!

And if I am alone in my position I would suggest full bolt ons and suspension. Your mileage is getting (or has passed) the Rubicon, in terms of throwing in crazy performance internals. With the money you have pocketed I would recommend searching for a built motor, and buying it. Or at least investing in a rebuild and then performance mods for your existing motor. Sorry to be the fun anchor here, but it would depress me if I spent a bunch of "easy money" on mods only to have my motor/ investment last a few scarce months. I guess that may just be me... Good luck
Old 03-13-2009, 01:05 PM
Banned

im at school so i dont have the pics. but you can search my name and accident and the pics should be somewhere(ive posted them before)... i also have the basic bolt on (springs, cai, catback, elbo)
Old 03-13-2009, 01:13 PM
Launching!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/paint-bod...nge-total.html

Quick Reply: if you had the cash