LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

car's running rich

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 10:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default car's running rich

lately my car has been running extremely rich. whenever you let off the gas it's like a gun keeps going off. it's also sucking down gas incredibly. the only things i've done to it are an slp cai and slp loudmouth exhaust. the opti is on its way out but would that do it? just a set of plugs? or could the intake or exhaust be doing it? but that wouldn't make sense since cai's and catbacks claim to increase mpg. anyone have any ideas?
Old 04-21-2009, 10:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That backfire is going to be caused by valve adjustment (rockers) or timing.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by slp96ss
lately my car has been running extremely rich. whenever you let off the gas it's like a gun keeps going off. it's also sucking down gas incredibly. the only things i've done to it are an slp cai and slp loudmouth exhaust. the opti is on its way out but would that do it? just a set of plugs? or could the intake or exhaust be doing it? but that wouldn't make sense since cai's and catbacks claim to increase mpg. anyone have any ideas?
What exactly do you mean the opti is on it's way out? And if it's missing, that could cause the backfiring and rich condition.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:02 PM
On The Tree

as posted in other threads, my car dies whenever it rains. obviously the opti has a defect and water is getting in too easily. maybe just a small crack in the cap but i'm getting sick of it. my dad keeps saying its the slp cai. he says that since the filters are hidden under the wheel wells not enough air is getting in. idk but that doesn't seem right. cai's are supposed to get better air flow but the way the slp cai goes in is kinda stupid. it's basically blocked off from all air flow.

one final question, once in a while, occuring more often now, when i try and start the car nothing happens. its a standard and each time i make sure the clutch is in all the way. i have to turn the key a few times and then it turns over and fires up. any idea what this is? starter maybe?
Old 04-21-2009, 07:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

as posted in other threads, my car dies whenever it rains. obviously the opti has a defect and water is getting in too easily. maybe just a small crack in the cap but i'm getting sick of it. my dad keeps saying its the slp cai. he says that since the filters are hidden under the wheel wells not enough air is getting in. idk but that doesn't seem right. cai's are supposed to get better air flow but the way the slp cai goes in is kinda stupid. it's basically blocked off from all air flow.

one final question, once in a while, occuring more often now, when i try and start the car nothing happens. its a standard and each time i make sure the clutch is in all the way. i have to turn the key a few times and then it turns over and fires up. any idea what this is? starter maybe?
Your CAI is not causing you problems.

Your cap getting moisture in it could be causing your rich condition.

Your dead key turns could be caused by a bad ICM, bad ignition switch, or Vats.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:50 PM
On The Tree

i'm guessing my best bet is to change the opti and water pump, and do a full tune up?

and are the ignition issues difficult and expensive to fix?
Old 04-22-2009, 01:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

i'm guessing my best bet is to change the opti and water pump, and do a full tune up?

and are the ignition issues difficult and expensive to fix?
I would get a new AC Delco/Delphi opti, new wires, new plugs, new coil, perform the ICM cooling mod, clean the MAF, new AC Delco o2 sensors (if never replaced).
Old 04-22-2009, 01:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
I would get a new AC Delco/Delphi opti, new wires, new plugs, new coil, perform the ICM cooling mod, clean the MAF, new AC Delco o2 sensors (if never replaced).
i am in the process of doing that now... and its VERY expensive...

opti: around 200
wires: 120
plugs: 2.00 a piece
idk about a coil or the ICM coolind mod
cleaning the MAF is very ease
o2 sensors like 120 for 2....

so get ready to dig deep!!!

but ss.slp.ls1 knows his ****... i am doing everything what he told me and everything is coming out good.. some bumps in the road with the water pump (i had to replace it) but other than that i would listen to him
Old 04-26-2009, 11:53 AM
On The Tree

as asked before...what do those ignition problems entail to fix? are they expensive or difficult?
Old 04-26-2009, 01:06 PM
TECH Regular

Yes, they can be sort of expensive. This site has good write-ups and has been referenced many times. Helps out tremendously for those who haven't tackled certain aspects of repair/modification on their LT1s: http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech1.html
Old 04-26-2009, 01:07 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Not trying to hijack here, but it is sort of relevant. Would Bosch O2s cause it to run tool rich? Is that a common complaint? Also, the LPP copy headers I have moved one of the O2s way down the pipe from its old location on the passenger side...could that be a problem? The drivers side is still pretty much where it was originally. I have a '93 by the way.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by creepingdeath94
Not trying to hijack here, but it is sort of relevant. Would Bosch O2s cause it to run tool rich? Is that a common complaint? Also, the LPP copy headers I have moved one of the O2s way down the pipe from its old location on the passenger side...could that be a problem? The drivers side is still pretty much where it was originally. I have a '93 by the way.
I've heard of problems with the Bosch units, never heard anything bad about the AC Delco's. Don't know about the location of the o2's, but I would imagine that you would want it close to the merge point of the headers. You could always have an exhaust shop relocate the o2 sensor bung.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:38 PM
TECH Regular

Yea, I could relocate it myself even, I just would rather not if it can be tuned to accommodate or something. I was just curious if that could cause a problem...the least of mine right now unfortunately :-p Sorry for the hijack...

Quick Reply: car's running rich