LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Engine Sensor Fuse???

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine Sensor Fuse???

I was at the track last saturday and made one pass, it was all good, went up for the 2nd pass and it started sputter a bit, third pass it sputter BAD and would barely run after the slip booth..
Started on my way home and it was sputter and loading up.. drove a little ways and the SES light came on and it cleared up and drove fine.. I cleared the light(on board scanner) and it started sputter and loading up again... So I waited and again the SES came on and drove fine.. it was throwing a 0154 code, O2 sensor, so I replaced the sensor today and when I started the car it would barely run and I have to give it throttle to keep it idling.. I cleared the SES light and it came RIGHT back on..
0100=MAF
1657=skip shift
Tracked it down to the 20 amp Engine Sensor fuse under the hood.. I replaced it and it instantly poped it... I dont know why.. All I did was replace the O2.. didnt touch any other wires(that I know of)
I dont know where to start..
BTW, the Engine Sensor fuse controls
MAF/HEATER CIRCUIT O2's/BRAKE SWITCH/SKIP SHIFT/REVERSE LOCKOUT..
Old 05-03-2009, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Help me out.. Gotta figure this out
Old 05-03-2009, 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

It was throwing a O2 code originally then I replaced the bad one and ever since I started it, its instantly threw the 0100 and 1657 codes.. but Im not sure if the fuse was popped since the first time I noticed it at the track..
after the first pass I did pop the hood and I swapped to my MSD set up..(trying to see if msd coil and 6al box is more effiecent then stock coil setup).. so all I did was unplug PCM coil pig tail from the stock coil set up and plug it into the MSD coil/6al box, I noticed a sputter so I checked my coil(8202, not LT1 style) and noticed whatever acid inside it coming out of the top where the plug wire plugs in SO I unpluged it from the MSD and plugged it back in stock coil set up and every since, its ran like that...
Old 05-04-2009, 12:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you get this figured out?
Old 05-04-2009, 01:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I had mine blow less than a week ago. Idle wasn't consistent, car would stumble slightly. Threw a code for the MAF circuit and I had to push my shifter to the right HARD to get it to go into reverse. Found the blown ENG SEN fuse and replace it and all was well. You need to inspect all of the wires on that circuit and check to see that it is not shorting out anywhere.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ws6_z28
Did you get this figured out?
not yet...

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
I had mine blow less than a week ago. Idle wasn't consistent, car would stumble slightly. Threw a code for the MAF circuit and I had to push my shifter to the right HARD to get it to go into reverse. Found the blown ENG SEN fuse and replace it and all was well. You need to inspect all of the wires on that circuit and check to see that it is not shorting out anywhere.
Ya.. exact same symptoms... but when I put a new fuse it, it pops it as soon as I turn key...
Old 05-05-2009, 09:45 AM
On The Tree

Well basically I was gonna say to do what ss.slp said...start unplugging items on that fuses circuit...and troubleshoot from there. One could assume that there is a problem with the 02 sensor since that was just replaced...it could be grounding out on a heat shield or something. If you need help and the weathers good I'd be up for some troubleshooting this weekend...
Old 05-05-2009, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a test light that plugs into the fuse spot and the light stays lite IF the ground is still shorted(blowing fuse)
To make sure it wasn't an O2.. I unplugged both O2s and the light stayed lite.. I'm lost.. I will be doin some checking over tomorrow, if weather is good of course..
Old 05-05-2009, 07:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Green3spd
I have a test light that plugs into the fuse spot and the light stays lite IF the ground is still shorted(blowing fuse)
To make sure it wasn't an O2.. I unplugged both O2s and the light stayed lite.. I'm lost.. I will be doin some checking over tomorrow, if weather is good of course..
There will always be power to that fuse with the key on. You need to get a bunch of fuses and test to see if the fuse doesn't blow with one of the sensors unhooked, each test will only have one unpluged.

From your post:
MAF/HEATER CIRCUIT O2's/BRAKE SWITCH/SKIP SHIFT/REVERSE LOCKOUT..

Do a test for each sensor, see if it leads anywhere.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

There will always be power to that fuse with the key on.
I've been tryin to figure this out for awhile! That might help me out quite a bit tomorrow! I'll let u know!
Old 05-06-2009, 04:14 PM
Launching!

!FIXED!

The Bank 1 sensor 1 O2 I replaced on Saturday was bad!
I unplugged the O2 and stuck a fuse in, turned the key and it didnt pop! So I replaced it and all was good!

Thanks for all the Help guys!
-Kris(Green3spd)
Old 05-06-2009, 04:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ThaBirdMan
!FIXED!

The Bank 1 sensor 1 O2 I replaced on Saturday was bad!
I unplugged the O2 and stuck a fuse in, turned the key and it didnt pop! So I replaced it and all was good!

Thanks for all the Help guys!
-Kris(Green3spd)
Nice.
Do you have two profiles?
Old 05-06-2009, 08:56 PM
On The Tree

Figured that might be it...good deal
Old 05-06-2009, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice.
Do you have two profiles?
Nah.... Lol, I fixed my car at matts(thabirdman) house and as soon as I got cleaned up I went inside and got on tech.. Then realized what I did, so edited my name into it..
Old 06-21-2019, 01:31 AM
Teching In

Default Ses fuse fix

Hope this helps for you guys so I had the same problem for month it pissed me off my fuse will keep blowing .. I replace my fuse with the car running it automatically pop the fuse signs of a short somewhere check my wiring looked fine .. i have a 02 ss m6 I noticed my skipshift eliminator dirty cover while oil build up I disconnected it n replace the fuse hasn’t pop anymore check that out n hope works for y’all

Quick Reply: Engine Sensor Fuse???