LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Colorado emissions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Colorado emissions?

I posted this in the lounge as well but figured i would see if i got any quicker responses here.

I will be moving to the Boulder/Denver area and i was wanting to know if anyone lived around there and could tell me how the emission testings are over there.

Thanks mike.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:18 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

I lived in Loveland and Littleton, CO and let me tell you Boulder has as many fruits and nuts as California. I can only imagine it's pretty strict unless you are able to find a local hookup. If you want to watch the freaks, go down town to Pearl street. Especially on Halloween during the "Mall Crawl."
Old 05-26-2009, 12:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

haha. i can only imagine. i get enough of that when i go to austin. My gf is currently a senior at UT. So once she finishes in December it will time to get all my stuff done to be able to transfer over. I cant wait to get away from all these plants around here though. I live right next to the biggest group of refineries i think in the US. It will be nice to get to some clean air.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:53 PM
Launching!

Cant comment on the pearl street, but I can say some about our emissions.

Pretty much youll need both your cats, 02's running good, no engine codes, no visible "modifications (ie; cut-outs)," and after all that have a good enough running engine to pass the dyno test. We also have mobile test areas, where they station up trucks on the side of on-ramps to test your vehicle. I think they just need to catch your car 3-4 times before that dont make a test station manditory.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlutVonSchwachen
Cant comment on the pearl street, but I can say some about our emissions.

Pretty much youll need both your cats, 02's running good, no engine codes, no visible "modifications (ie; cut-outs)," and after all that have a good enough running engine to pass the dyno test. We also have mobile test areas, where they station up trucks on the side of on-ramps to test your vehicle. I think they just need to catch your car 3-4 times before that dont make a test station manditory.
Okay my car came with only 1 cat from the factory but i now have a true y-pipe on my car now...does that mean i need to put 2 cats on there? And do they actually do a sniff test or a visual? I only have front 02 sensors from the factory. And by dyno test what do you mean? What are they looking for? And after they catch me 3-4 times they do what?

Also what is pearl street? Like i said i still live in Southeast Texas right now so i am unfamiliar with with anything over there just a general area we will be heading in a year. I just dont want to deal with the hassle once i move over there.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite...MV%2FRMVLayout

Main information on the page, and more to the left under "Emissions Information" which would be specific for you. Every state has a DMV site. If you cannot find what you need on there you got a problem.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Holy ****. Where i might be moving is the worst possible place to move to. I will have to try and live right outside of there.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:35 PM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by litch2004
Holy ****. Where i might be moving is the worst possible place to move to. I will have to try and live right outside of there.
Some really nice scenery out that way though. Also the altitude will kill any performance you had before. I believe the closest 1/4 track is Bandimere which is at 6000' elevation.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

ya it would. i pretty much live at sea level.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by litch2004
Okay my car came with only 1 cat from the factory but i now have a true y-pipe on my car now...does that mean i need to put 2 cats on there? And do they actually do a sniff test or a visual? I only have front 02 sensors from the factory. And by dyno test what do you mean? What are they looking for? And after they catch me 3-4 times they do what?

Also what is pearl street? Like i said i still live in Southeast Texas right now so i am unfamiliar with with anything over there just a general area we will be heading in a year. I just dont want to deal with the hassle once i move over there.
1 cat will work, forgot they changed that in the years. Just as long as you have a factory set up for cats, but if you want to keep your ypipe you can get some high flow cats and that should help. Colorado does both the visual and sniffer test. Dyno is part of the sniffer test, they use it to drive the car through different scenerios while checking the exhaust output.

The mobile checks it 3-4 times, and assuming you clear they mail you documentation stating that you dont have to go in, and just need to send them money.This is the easiest way to bypass the visual check.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:36 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should move to Colorado Springs. There is no emission program there.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wish i could. The move is based on where ever my girlfriend gets excepted into law school.

Quick Reply: Colorado emissions?