LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

mystery oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 07:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mystery oil leak

i put in a new oil pan gasket this past saturday and i still have a leak coming from somewhere...its not around the pan and i cant see anywhere on the block where oil has been dripping/running. it doesnt leak constantly...only after i have been driving. then a couple of small spots will form on the ground near the front of the engine. i know these cars are notorious for intake manifold leak, but isnt that usually on the back side of the intake?

a little background...as i said..i've replaced the oil pan gasket...the timing cover gasket..all timing cover seals. I don't suspect it is the valve covers either, since I have pulled them several times and they have new gaskets.

who has ideas on where this could be coming from?
Old 06-08-2009, 09:04 PM
On The Tree

THINK i have this one pinned down....after getting another look under the car tonight...it looks like the culprit COULD be my water pump drive gear...i have oil coming off the bottom of the pump ...and even scarier...a little is on my opti

this happen to anyone else?
Old 06-08-2009, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine has always leaked a small dot of oil ever since I got it after I drive it and it sits in the garage. Still have no clue what it is from. Used to leak tranny fluid out of a cracked stock torque converter, but fixed that with the SS3600
Old 06-08-2009, 09:14 PM
On The Tree

well unfortunately i'm too OCD to let it go. Its either the water pump drive gear seal or its the front of the intake leaking down the back up of the pump...i guess i'll have to pull the wp to see...
Old 06-08-2009, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm OCD about those things myself.. but having just graduated high school my budget for the Trans Am is low right now... Saving and investing hard core so I can finish it (383, H/C/I, rear, etc.) and buy another toy (probably C5) in either 2-4 years from now.

Will probably have somebody look at mine soon though. I hope you find out whats wrong with it buddy!
Old 06-08-2009, 09:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Mine did the same thing to me.. I replaced all the them Seals and the WP Drive Gear one decided to give up. You'll have to get in there and replace it.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

The WP drive gear is the hardest one to get not to leak. I would suggest going an EWP if you never wanna have the problem again
Old 06-09-2009, 08:00 AM
On The Tree

arghh..i JUST replaced the wp drive gear gasket when i had the timing cover pulled...i replaced all of those seals at the same time....guess i'll have to start looking at electric wp's......any suggestions? bang for the buck? dont wanna spend 500 bucks on a mez.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Buy a CSR for like $180 new. Get the housing prepped (remove the impeller and do a tiny bit of grinding to clearance for the new pump), and buy some wire and a relay to make sure it works with the key on.

Shouldn't be all that much

Oh and is your bro still interested in the MR2?
Old 06-09-2009, 11:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Hawk40
arghh..i JUST replaced the wp drive gear gasket when i had the timing cover pulled...i replaced all of those seals at the same time....guess i'll have to start looking at electric wp's......any suggestions? bang for the buck? dont wanna spend 500 bucks on a mez.

Hawk did you use the tool to do the water pump drive seal? And was it installed dry? Kent moore sells one for $63, you can get away with a socket, or a pen body, or I do sell the kent moore similiar for dirt cheap. Need to use something to properly expand those lips or its a good chance you tore it.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It's the water pump drive shaft seal on the cover. When you replace the seals in the cover do not put that one in until after the cover is on, then tap it on with a socket over the shaft. I would put a little oil on it first but that's up to you. Trust me, that's the source.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by slow96z
It's the water pump drive shaft seal on the cover. When you replace the seals in the cover do not put that one in until after the cover is on, then tap it on with a socket over the shaft. I would put a little oil on it first but that's up to you. Trust me, that's the source.

it's to be installed dry. You'll potentionally end up with leaks with oil on it. Like I mentioned above there is a special tool for it (whether taking the timing cover off or not) to properly install the seal. A socket "works" but there is no taper so you're still potentionally not doing it right. The pen body works better, or the kent moore/tool I sell is what is prefered.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:50 PM
On The Tree

well i took the CAI off and can see that there is oil all around the intake manifold

maybe i installed my drive gear gasket incorrectly....but looks like the intake is my biggest problem.

what are the steps to removing the intake? do i have to bleed the schrader valve before pulling the fuel rails? is there a write up somewhere? didnt see anything on shbox's site

Quick Reply: mystery oil leak