LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT headers question

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 01:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT headers question

Would someone be so kind to tell me the pros/cons to LTs that have/don't have emissions? Here in IN I can get away without emissions however I don't know the difference. I am wanting to go with probably Pacesetter LT to a true dual. My car is pretty much a dd that I baby. Thanks!
Old 06-24-2009, 01:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nolimit5685
Would someone be so kind to tell me the pros/cons to LTs that have/don't have emissions? Here in IN I can get away without emissions however I don't know the difference. I am wanting to go with probably Pacesetter LT to a true dual. My car is pretty much a dd that I baby. Thanks!
Headers that don't have Emissions have no provisions to hook up the AIR or EGR. So you can delete those since you live in Indiana. I did. Unless you live in lake county then you can't get away with it.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by halucinator
Headers that don't have Emissions have no provisions to hook up the AIR or EGR. So you can delete those since you live in Indiana. I did. Unless you live in lake county then you can't get away with it.
i understand what emission free headers are, but what is the benefit to deletion of the emissions from the exhaust? ie "race headers" and i live in indy
Old 06-24-2009, 01:38 PM
On The Tree

i understand what emission free headers are, but what is the benefit to deletion of the emissions from the exhaust? ie "race headers" and i live in indy
when u delete the AIR, that is just to heat up the 02 sensors quicker, and the EGR is exhaust gas recirculation, whe you take that off you dont get exhaust gases recirculating back into your intake.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

There is no con to deleting the emissions crap and the pros is to clean up the engine bay and keep exhaust gas from entering the intake. That's why I got race headers (non-emissions). You will need block off plates for the back of your intake manifold and some vacuum caps for the ports on the side of the intake.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
There is no con to deleting the emissions crap and the pros is to clean up the engine bay and keep exhaust gas from entering the intake. That's why I got race headers (non-emissions). You will need block off plates for the back of your intake manifold and some vacuum caps for the ports on the side of the intake.
what all can be deleted/removed from the engine bay when doing race headers?
Old 06-24-2009, 04:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

what all can be deleted/removed from the engine bay when doing race headers?
The AIR pump, vacuum solenoid, EGR valve, EGR tube, EGR solenoid, and while you are at it...EVAP solenoid and EVP purge solenoid. Use block off plates on the back of the intake manifold and cap off all vacuum ports that are not being used anymore. Search for threads on cleaning up the engine bay or deleting emissions and you should find lots of info.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:00 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
The AIR pump, vacuum solenoid, EGR valve, EGR tube, EGR solenoid, and while you are at it...EVAP solenoid and EVP purge solenoid. Use block off plates on the back of the intake manifold and cap off all vacuum ports that are not being used anymore. Search for threads on cleaning up the engine bay or deleting emissions and you should find lots of info.
thanks much! i'll look.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks much! i'll look.
Forgot to mention a pro is that some have said that the EGR is a possible culprit to the intake leaking on the rear seal.

Quick Reply: LT headers question