LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

annoying issue...

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 12:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default annoying issue...

i have a 1994 formula lt1 big cam, mail order tune, and basically nothing else... i have been having an issue with the car kindof falling on its face, or just basically losing power untill about half throttle... and if i let it stutter long enought, and then romp on it, it will feel like its losing fuel pressure (not popping at all)... and then all of the sudden clear out, and burn the tires off... im confused as hell... i was just wandering if anyone else had had the same problem... please help its annoying... it has never left me stranded though... thank goodness
Old 07-07-2009, 12:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Drift_king2007
i have a 1994 formula lt1 big cam, mail order tune, and basically nothing else... i have been having an issue with the car kindof falling on its face, or just basically losing power untill about half throttle... and if i let it stutter long enought, and then romp on it, it will feel like its losing fuel pressure (not popping at all)... and then all of the sudden clear out, and burn the tires off... im confused as hell... i was just wandering if anyone else had had the same problem... please help its annoying... it has never left me stranded though... thank goodness
Sounds like my car when I had a bad opti and bad fuel pump simultaniously. Hopefully neither is your issue.

Get a fuel pressure gauge and test your fuel pressure at prime, idle, and WOT under load. That will eliminate fuel as the issue.
Maybe it's time for new plugs and wires...
Old 07-07-2009, 12:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Sounds like my car when I had a bad opti and bad fuel pump simultaniously. Hopefully neither is your issue.

Get a fuel pressure gauge and test your fuel pressure at prime, idle, and WOT under load. That will eliminate fuel as the issue.
Maybe it's time for new plugs and wires...
the fuelpump is new... the opti is also new but it is a cheap $100 one... it just doesnt popp like an ignition problem tho...
Old 07-07-2009, 01:11 PM
TECH Addict

sounds like what was mine was doing as well, Burnt plug wire and bad o2's

EDIT: I also seafoamed the car and that cleared up the rest
Old 07-07-2009, 01:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

the fuelpump is new... the opti is also new but it is a cheap $100 one... it just doesnt popp like an ignition problem tho...
Doesn't matter, test the fuel pressure anyway.
Another thing I would try is to disconnect the MAF and o2's and then test drive it. If the problem goes away you might have a bad sensor(s).
Forgot to ask, any codes showing?
Old 07-07-2009, 03:33 PM
Staging Lane

Doesn't matter, test the fuel pressure anyway.
Another thing I would try is to disconnect the MAF and o2's and then test drive it. If the problem goes away you might have a bad sensor(s).
Forgot to ask, any codes showing?
yes but i dont know how many or wat kind yet... havent been able to run codes yet... being obd1 and all.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:38 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by djjab57
sounds like what was mine was doing as well, Burnt plug wire and bad o2's

EDIT: I also seafoamed the car and that cleared up the rest
mine is not a constant issue... it hasnt done it while the car was cold... like in the morning... i really need to run my codes... hopefully that will happen soon...
Old 07-08-2009, 12:44 PM
TECH Regular

You're experiencing what we call a "bog". My first suspect would be tht throttle position sensor bolted to the throttle body above the IAC.

You can test it with a digital volt meter with the engine off, ignition "ON". Slowly open the TB butterflies while watching the meter. Voltage should smoothly and incrementally increase as the blades are opened, with no pauses or sudden jumps in voltage.

Jake

West Point ROCKS!
Old 07-08-2009, 01:40 PM
TECH Addict

mine is not a constant issue... it hasnt done it while the car was cold... like in the morning... i really need to run my codes... hopefully that will happen soon...
Mine would only do it once it was warmed to, when i would first get in it ran perfect
Old 07-08-2009, 02:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes but i dont know how many or wat kind yet... havent been able to run codes yet... being obd1 and all.
Actually being a 94 you have no idea how good you have it. Get a AKM cable and freescan. You can get your codes all day long.

I too used to be laughed at by the parts stores, oh we don't read OBD-I stuff! Ha! There is a solution though.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by camar0corey
Actually being a 94 you have no idea how good you have it. Get a AKM cable and freescan. You can get your codes all day long.

I too used to be laughed at by the parts stores, oh we don't read OBD-I stuff! Ha! There is a solution though.
where is a good place to get this cable???
Old 07-08-2009, 03:24 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JAKEJR
You're experiencing what we call a "bog". My first suspect would be tht throttle position sensor bolted to the throttle body above the IAC.

You can test it with a digital volt meter with the engine off, ignition "ON". Slowly open the TB butterflies while watching the meter. Voltage should smoothly and incrementally increase as the blades are opened, with no pauses or sudden jumps in voltage.

Jake

West Point ROCKS!
TPS is on my replace list... ty
Old 07-08-2009, 03:42 PM
TECH Addict

AKM cables
Old 07-09-2009, 07:49 AM
Staging Lane

ok so i replaced the TPS, and the low to midrange shutter is gone... now the car is loading up after i get on it hard, and then try to cruise at about 45... if i downshift and punch it it has to clear out till about 4500 rpm then its fine, im thinkin o2s are prolly my best bet???
Old 07-09-2009, 11:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

unplug your o2's and run it like ss.slp suggested lol. That will tell you if your o2's are bad.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:24 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
unplug your o2's and run it like ss.slp suggested lol. That will tell you if your o2's are bad.
well i just replaced the o2s... one was iffy... kinda sooty, but the pass side one was as flat as black comes... i havent driven it yet, im at work... but i am hoping this fixes it...
Old 07-09-2009, 04:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Drift_king2007 - original post
mail order tune
No matter how good, a mail order is a ball-park once you start playing with cam swaps, might be worth getting on a dyno after you've got the sensors straight and get things dialed.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by acammer
No matter how good, a mail order is a ball-park once you start playing with cam swaps, might be worth getting on a dyno after you've got the sensors straight and get things dialed.
ok guy thanks for the info... the o2s and TPS sensor fixed my problem! another ? tho... does anyone know what kind of reinforced tranny mount i can use... the oem mount is pulled apart from the torque bar... any ideas?
Old 07-10-2009, 04:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

ok guy thanks for the info... the o2s and TPS sensor fixed my problem! another ? tho... does anyone know what kind of reinforced tranny mount i can use... the oem mount is pulled apart from the torque bar... any ideas?
I use an Energy Suspension poly trans mount. You can get one from Autozone.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:44 AM
Staging Lane

I use an Energy Suspension poly trans mount. You can get one from Autozone.
do you know if they have it in stock?

Quick Reply: annoying issue...