LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Header Install Pics?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Header Install Pics?

Ok guys, looks like the ASM and RKs are out as after further research the plug access is horrible and that's not going to help my case. Well now onto the long tube option. Do you guys have any pics of LPPs, Pacesetters, and Kooks installed on lowered cars. I'm running the Eibach Pro kit and wanna see the install height and available ground clearance with either one of these. Also, some people are saying good things about TPIS and JettHots and pics of these would be nice. Feel free to toss any install issues and likes/dislikes of these headers.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ebay kooks knockoffs.. car is not lowered tho. hope that helps
Old 06-24-2010, 10:52 PM
TECH Addict

My LPP's sit very close like SOX pic above. Change the engine mounts and check the clearance at the intermediate shaft and on the back side of the K member where the pipes come down. These 2 spots seem to cause the most problems but new polly engine mounts usually help this problem. Stock engine mount on the driver side like to flatten out so you end up having clearance problems at the intermediate shaft and the K member. some headers like to relax after several heat cycles and then you will have a rub on the k member. Not all do this but my LPP's did but they are on like the 3rd or 4th generation of those now so I can only speak from experience with my gen 1 or 2's.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

You'll want to run either the LLPs or Pacesetters as the Hookers with the flange style collectors will be a royal pain when driving in bad areas.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 95mysticta
You'll want to run either the LLPs or Pacesetters as the Hookers with the flange style collectors will be a royal pain when driving in bad areas.
Yeah, I had pretty much taken Hookers out of consideration due to the flange connections. Gonna have to stick with slip fit due to ground clearance as you mentioned. I've also been recommended to take a look at the TPIS headers anyone wanna chime in on those?
Old 06-25-2010, 09:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jaycenk
My LPP's sit very close like SOX pic above. Change the engine mounts and check the clearance at the intermediate shaft and on the back side of the K member where the pipes come down. These 2 spots seem to cause the most problems but new polly engine mounts usually help this problem. Stock engine mount on the driver side like to flatten out so you end up having clearance problems at the intermediate shaft and the K member. some headers like to relax after several heat cycles and then you will have a rub on the k member. Not all do this but my LPP's did but they are on like the 3rd or 4th generation of those now so I can only speak from experience with my gen 1 or 2's.
Jay, is your car lowered? If so what kit are you running and what is your stance height. I am getting soo many conflicting stories about how these LPPs fit that it's making me lean away from them. It seems as if one set to the next is not the same and how can you trust getting them - regardless of the cheap price - if you can't be sure they will fit?

Just wish someone made a good mid that had decent plug access for the LT1 but I guess I'm gonna have to go the LT route if I want this feature.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by DAVE00

Just wish someone made a good mid that had decent plug access for the LT1 but I guess I'm gonna have to go the LT route if I want this feature.
There is... Mac makes a nice mid length header. i still have my old ones that i took off when i went to LT's.. there plug access was great and there fitment was excellent...
Old 06-25-2010, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SoxXpupPeT
There is... Mac makes a nice mid length header. i still have my old ones that i took off when i went to LT's.. there plug access was great and there fitment was excellent...
Tiny primaries and need to step up flow thu 1-3/4" with these heads and cam. This is why MACs have always been off my list.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont have any pics at the moment but Ill try to get some up tonight. I just got a set of the ebay pacesetter knockoffs put on and I have the prokit also. BTW, the fitment of the headers are great. Pretty good plug access, blah, blah, blah. . . . .
Old 06-25-2010, 12:48 PM
TECH Resident

pacesetters are the best for clearance. Iv go the painted ones because i live in co and its dry as hell here, no rust after 15k. And theyr super cheap.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Kooks LT's, Kooks catted y-pipe, not lowered.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have painted ps as well. the clearance is great, The y pipe on the other hand hangs a little but not low enough i have to worry about speed bumps or anything. But i swear they were the biggest PITA trying to get them on. i have put LT on alot of LT1 cars but for some reason mine were the biggest problem.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:06 PM
12 Second Club

I am getting Pacesetters LT too.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:14 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 93TAJ.C.
pacesetters are the best for clearance. Iv go the painted ones because i live in co and its dry as hell here, no rust after 15k. And theyr super cheap.
Aside from being cheap, I don't know much about Pacesetters, but I would be willing to bet that Kooks clearance is a bit better.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey:

For the hassles it takes with some cars go stainless. Stainless runs cooler than painted steel and you can coat them and make them even cooler yet for awhile. Go either with the ebay PS stainless clones eworld sales, or the LPP or LPP clones from ebay. The price is similar to PS but gives Kooks type perf, How can you go wrong for the price. Also it is not that the headers fit differently on the cars, it the cars have treaked more on some than others. If you don't have subframe cons and supporting upgrades in various spots in the car they twist alot, they just do. when you have a car thats lowered you need a set of headers that give or maintain your present clearance. The LPPs and LPP clones give Kooks type clearance which tuck up very close to the body thats why they seem to have more install problems than other types as they don't have as much room to play with as other headers that hang a little lower. My Car with LPPs is lowered 1 3/4" and I don't have any more problems with clearance than I had stock or with Kooks. The pacesetter ORY is where I had clearance issues that the LPPs, LPP clones and Kooks don't have. When I had the PSs on I hit alot of places, never on the headers always on the ORY, and is one of the reasons on why I changed them out, just to let you know.
Good luck with whatever you decide....

Dub

When In Doubt Do Without
Old 07-01-2010, 03:40 PM
Staging Lane

Sorry took so long, but here they are. . . . .

Attached Thumbnails Header Install Pics?-p6250013.jpg   Header Install Pics?-p6250014.jpg  
Old 07-01-2010, 08:39 PM
TECH Resident

^^^^^^

Very nice. What's going on inside the garage with the 2nd Gen?
Old 07-01-2010, 08:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Cheap Guy
^^^^^^

Very nice. What's going on inside the garage with the 2nd Gen?
Thanks. Both of those belong to my roommate, though. The black one is a veeeery nice big block street car he picked up recently. The copper and silver is a LT1 383 drag car
Old 07-01-2010, 09:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Nice rides there Barney
Old 07-03-2010, 11:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Lowered with Pacesetter LT's

Quick Reply: Header Install Pics?