LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

lpp header install issues? need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 09:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lpp header install issues? need advice.

The header on the driver side goes in with out really a problem, But the issue is that the number 1 primary tube is SO close to the steering shaft that I wil not be able to put back on the steering coupler. I dinged the header tube but damn its so close that I will have beat it up more than I want too. Also im thinking of grinding the steering shaft to allow more clearance but anyone else have this issue or what? Thoughts,advice, concerns much appreciated. Thanks and lmk asap please.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jan231986
The header on the driver side goes in with out really a problem, But the issue is that the number 1 primary tube is SO close to the steering shaft that I wil not be able to put back on the steering coupler. I dinged the header tube but damn its so close that I will have beat it up more than I want too. Also im thinking of grinding the steering shaft to allow more clearance but anyone else have this issue or what? Thoughts,advice, concerns much appreciated. Thanks and lmk asap please.
I ran into the same problem, but I installed new motor mounts as well. I also ground the steering shaft ever so slightly to clear the primary. It's a pretty easy fix.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
I ran into the same problem, but I installed new motor mounts as well. I also ground the steering shaft ever so slightly to clear the primary. It's a pretty easy fix.

Yup , thats what me & my bro did also since it was my idea to go buy a grinder and get er done ...........
Old 07-28-2010, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

mine is pretty close too, try moving the steering column over a little, that should create some clearance.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by merim123
mine is pretty close too, try moving the steering column over a little, that should create some clearance.
LOL , never herd that one before have to see if that would actually work though
Old 07-28-2010, 11:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SPEEDYTRANSAM1996
LOL , never herd that one before have to see if that would actually work though
you can get a little clearance it works, I think this was recommendation from LPP. Wish they didn't delete that big *** thread...
Old 07-29-2010, 12:25 AM
TECH Veteran

I heard of moving over the steering column for some clearance. Then taking off some meat on the steering shaft.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

how are so many people running into problems still? i thought they addressed all of them with the 2nd batch?
Old 07-29-2010, 09:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hitmanws6
how are so many people running into problems still? i thought they addressed all of them with the 2nd batch?

How do you know this is a second batch set?
Old 07-29-2010, 09:48 AM
8 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine have been going pretty smooth so far. The friend that is helping me had to hammer on the frame a little bit on the passenger side, and will have to grind some on the K member yet, but all in all I think it is going allright. The steering knuckle hasn't been addressed to know if it is in the way yet though.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:21 AM
TECH Resident

I seem to have gotten lucky. I did pacesetter longtubes when the motor was out and had no problems. and theyr way away from the steering and k member.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Even the 2nd batch has issues. They still hit the steering column or come very close depending on car. Cylinder 3 you can run a normal oil filter and cyl 8 hits the frame and/or heater box if you have them.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:46 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 93TAJ.C.
I seem to have gotten lucky. I did pacesetter longtubes when the motor was out and had no problems. and theyr way away from the steering and k member.
I believe Pacesetters are more known for rusting than fitment issues.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:47 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA

Has anyone confirmed that there are actually differences between the first & second batch? For that matter, there seem to be variances within the same batch.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BTC
I believe Pacesetters are more known for rusting than fitment issues.
Any mild steel header is going to rust if it's not coated. That is why you get them or have them coated. PaceSetters are very good headers an actually probably the most common header installed by guys on here. I'm still toying between the PaceSetters and LPPs on my application as here in Houston we don't have the roads/winter as up north and Ceramic coating will last a lifetime. Esp, since this car is a garage queen and only see's rain by accident. LPP's support sucks as it takes them forever to respond to emails and when they do they are pretty short with you. Also, the fitment issues from header to header and car to car worry me a bit as PaceSetter has been around so much longer that they have ironed out most of their problems and most of the time PaceSetters just drop in on installs in our cars from what I've seen compaired to LPP. However, the stainless is very tempting as well as the price and the stepped design. Still don't know what route to go but hopefully will make my mind up soon.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Remember, ceramic coating's primary purpose is for heat retention, not corrosion resistance. Ceramic coated mild steel headers will rust at some point.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Remember, ceramic coating's primary purpose is for heat retention, not corrosion resistance. Ceramic coated mild steel headers will rust at some point.
Correct, so will fenders on your car eventually. If they are properly maintained and kept in an environment without salt they will last a very very long time. My ceramic coated JBA's (now on the car) are over 14 years old and are in very good condition with only small rust spots at the collectors.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey:

I wish I had pictures of my Coated Pacesetters when I lived in South Florida.
They rusted bad down there, and it didn't help I moved up north for stowage, while I was overseas, before coming to NC. About that coating, It burns off, and that is when they start to rust. My car was on post with only a car port, and that may have had a lot to do with it. but it was covered and had a good car cover as well, I have had more than one car with headers, quite a few really and that is the only set (PS) that has ever rusted that bad. The one thing about stainless is you can re-polish it back to better than new. Heck before I even considered another set of PS headers I would go with the Ebay stainless knock offs, and deal with any of its issues first, at least they still won't rust.

Dub
Old 07-29-2010, 01:26 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

In my opinion, ceramic coating only delays the inevitable with regards to mild steel headers. If you don't want rusted headers, stainless is the only true alternative. Get the stainless headers coated if you want to squeeze every bit of performance upside out of them. Personally, I would rather get stainless and have to address minor fitment issues as opposed to mild steel, but I'm very anti-rust. I effing hate it, which makes Michigan a terrible place to live in that regard.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:42 PM
11 Second Club

They are ebay headers that someone started selling on ls1tech at double the price and everyone had to have the newest header out there. These issues really shouldn't have been a surprise to anyone.

FWIW my 7 year old jethots still have the coating and are rust free, and I live by the ocean. I don't understand how people think these fitment issues are acceptable.

Quick Reply: lpp header install issues? need advice.