LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Handling limits on my car

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 10:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Handling limits on my car

I recently installed a set of Spohn sway bars. There was a noticeable improvement in my car's handling, but it still feels sloppy. I guess the body roll would be remedied by springs and shocks, but I still don't feel like this thing grips the road all that well. Should I just keep saving until I can afford a C5? I have Spohn LCA's, relocation brackets and SFC's that I haven't installed yet. I'm debating whether or not I want to sell them or install them. Opinions please
Old 10-29-2010, 10:43 PM
TECH Regular

SFC are gonna make a pretty big difference
Old 10-30-2010, 12:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last week i went on a cruise with my friends from audizine. I had many comments from the drivers on how great my car handled. (this coming from rs4 owners) my car has nearly a full suspension tho.

Koni 4/4's
BMR springs
Anti sway bars
Subframe connectors (2 point)
Torque arm
Panhard pan
control arms
18's on all 4's

when you put the time/effort/money into these cars. they really do start to shine
Old 10-30-2010, 01:02 AM
8 Second Club

Have Strano set you up with some Koni's and you will really see your car shine.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:15 AM
Staging Lane

I'd make sure that all the components in your front end are in good shape. I put SFC and a wonderbar under my thirdgen, and it didn't feel much different. Then I discovered that my idler arm was warn. Replace that, and it was a whole 'nother animal.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:41 AM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Definitely should've done shocks before sway bars. Install a nice set of shocks and you'll eat your words. Promise.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The stock shocks are horrible. Replace them with some koni's and it will feel like a completely different car. Swaybars should have been one of the last things that you replaced.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:31 PM
On The Tree

I don't have $800 to drop on shocks. What about these?

http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=11&ModelID=4
Old 10-30-2010, 08:03 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Storms of War
I don't have $800 to drop on shocks. What about these?

http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=11&ModelID=4
Return the swaybars. Spohns are a horrible choice and they must weight a ton.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:32 PM
TECH Regular

I am running:

Koni 4/4 shocks
Strano Springs
Strano Hollow Sway Bars
UMI Roto Joint LCA's
Tubular PHB and SFC

I first installed the Koni's and strano springs. This made a HUGE improvement on how the car handled, nose dive during braking and the stability at higher speeds. I drove this setup for about 8 months, fine tuned the shock settings and got a good feel for the car.

I then added the Strano Sway Bars, stock were base Trans Am sways, not WS6 bars. The hollow bars made a big improvement as well, but not quite as much as the springs and shocks. Still a mod worth every penny if your looking for outstanding F-body performance. With just the springs and koni's the car still felt unpredictable when pushing the car to the limit in a turn at high speeds. After the bars were installed this was no longer the problem. I think I noticed the most improvement with the bars when pushing the car to the limit. It makes the car feel more stable and predictable than I though possible for a solid axle car.

Last I installed UMI's roto joint LCA's. I was running poly/poly bushings in my old LCA setup. The roto joints improved rear end stability over bumps and uneven surfaces(the reason I chose them), but didn't see any improvement over the poly/poly setup in straight line performance.

The parts I installed were pricey, but feel 100% satisfied with how the car handles from were the car was in stock form. Sam Strano is an asset to the F-body community in my opinion. He spent a lot of time with me on the phone before I even purchased his springs and Koni's discussing different setups and options. Every time I called with questions he was always very helpful.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Stock shocks suck. I went with a set of the kyb agx's. They are better than stock, but are nothing compared to a set of KONI's. I did however lower my car at the same time i put the shocks on. So this may be why the AGX's still feel a bit harsh at times.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

i did agx's and i like them, they are stiff but dont bother me
Old 11-02-2010, 09:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For swaybars I'm definately going with strano, the hollow 35/22mm combo can't be beat. Lighter than stock and much better performing.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:39 PM
11 Second Club

I honestly couldn't believe how much difference there was in a straight line at the end of the 1/4 after doing back to back runs in my car and my dad's 00 WS6 with stock suspension. At 110-120 in a straight line on a smooth surface there was a HUGE difference in feel.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:59 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
I honestly couldn't believe how much difference there was in a straight line at the end of the 1/4 after doing back to back runs in my car and my dad's 00 WS6 with stock suspension. At 110-120 in a straight line on a smooth surface there was a HUGE difference in feel.
Those LCA's and Strano suspension will keep you going strait, several aftermarket LCA are a bit stiff for autocrossing thou.

Last edited by fex77k; 11-03-2010 at 11:26 AM.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:02 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by fex77k
Those LCA's and Strano suspension will keep you going strait, several aftermarket LCA a bit stiff for autocrossing thou.
I'm actually running stockers with 1le bushings now. I got sick of the noise my rod end ones made.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:16 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
I'm actually running stockers with 1le bushings now. I got sick of the noise my rod end ones made.
With strength comes lots of noise.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:14 PM
Launching!

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned tires? I'm running 275's up front and it grips like theres no tomorrow. I have to say that I love the way my car handles. I'm running stock struts with autozone shocks (I've got AGX's to replace on all four corners), spohn front/rear solid moly sway bars (I felt that made a huge difference), eibach springs, lg motorsports adj LCA's with spohn welded in brackets, and an edelbrock panhard rod. Also, you might want to look into a rag joint eliminator? It wont help your body roll, but it really tightens up the steering wheel and lets you feel the road. You cant beat it for about $40 and an hour of your time. Lowering springs will should help quite a bit with your body roll IMO. Lowering the center of gravity and stiffening at the same time will help with predictability through the corners. My friend has an 02 GTI and he cant believe how flat i stay through a corner at 40-45mph. I would keep my money in the camaro, if for nothing less than just to see the look on the old mans face when I smoke his C5
Old 11-03-2010, 09:33 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by fex77k
several aftermarket LCA a bit stiff for autocrossing thou.

That is the reason I replaced my poly/poly LCA's with UMI's Roto Joint units. The ride is slightly rougher but nothing like a rod end. And the Roto Joints are adjustable increase they ever start to rattle from wear. So far I'm happy with them over the poly units. The rear stays more planted when the road is uneven which is real important here in IA, our roads are **** from our nasty winter last year. The roto joints may not be best for a daily driver, but I feel they are a good balance between a rod end and poly for a weendend car.

Quick Reply: Handling limits on my car