LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Thinking of buying another DD - LT1 Camaro (Convertible)

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 10:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of buying another DD - LT1 Camaro (Convertible)

Cliffs: Camaro Z28 Convertible - leather, 6spd, etc. Salvaged title but repaired awesomely. Clean clean clean all around.

Not sure exactly of the year right now but I can find out on a later date. The car in question does have a salvaged title but I know the repair shop crew/owner personally and have done a lot business with them/him and don't for a minute question their repairs. It has just over 100k miles, is a six speed, has leather, power everything, etc. Extremely nice looking car. Bone stock. Dirt cheap also. I just wanna know the opinions of everyone LT1-knowledgeable. 0-60 and 1/4 mile times would also be appreciated (don't know how reliable the ones I found are) as I like driving cars that can move outta their own way. :p

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:18 AM
TECH Resident

go for it. mines at 170K now, bought at right before 160K and bone stock it ran 14.1 at 101.

imho it's best to buy a bone stock lt1 because that means the previous owners didnt get into anything to mess it up.

take it for a test drive and see if you like it then.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:38 AM
Teching In

If I end up buying this Camaro, it would be the first car that I myself work on in terms of modifications. And I've heard some pretty unsettling things about LT1/LS1 maintenance/modding (i.e. extremely hard to work on, very time-consuming, expensive).

My other option at this time is a 1999 Mustang GT. I have a gut feeling the Mustang would be quicker just because I haven't heard much good about the LT1s AND it's a convertible (both report mid-to-low 14s in the 1/4). Plus I already know how to work somewhat on a Mustang, making things easier from the get-go. Eventually the DD would have to be 12-sec. repeatable/reliable.

Looking forward to hearing from more people. Appreciate the input lt1slowz28.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:00 AM
LT1
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by getlearned
I have a gut feeling the Mustang would be quicker just because I haven't heard much good about the LT1s AND it's a convertible (both report mid-to-low 14s in the 1/4).
What kind of things have you heard?

You do know that h/c/i LT1's can go high 11's right? I don't see why a LT1 cant do same thing as those 4.6L if not better because more cubic inch displacement and head choices.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stray away from the stang save yourself
Old 11-07-2010, 01:29 AM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I end up buying this Camaro, it would be the first car that I myself work on in terms of modifications. And I've heard some pretty unsettling things about LT1/LS1 maintenance/modding (i.e. extremely hard to work on, very time-consuming, expensive).
Many of the mods on an LT1 aren't too hard to by yourself, once you do it the first time you will be surprised at how easy it is the next time around. As far as "modding" a LT1 a good head and cam setup will get you close and be really reliable. My Convertible was a really good car when it was stock.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:21 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

...I've heard some pretty unsettling things about LT1/LS1 maintenance/modding (i.e. extremely hard to work on, very time-consuming, expensive).
Dunno about 'modding an LT1 but maintaining it is a chore. I've had more problems with my '97 than my other 3 cars combined. That whole deal with the 'opti and how sensitive it is, is reason enough to stay away from LT1's.

Now, if this car wasn't going to be your 'DD then it wouldn't matter, because you could fix/break it as you have time. But if you're looking for reliability AND easier maintenance in an F-car go with the LS1; maintenance is a snap and you're already starting with a stronger platform than the LT1...
Old 11-07-2010, 05:29 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by myk
Dunno about 'modding an LT1 but maintaining it is a chore. I've had more problems with my '97 than my other 3 cars combined. That whole deal with the 'opti and how sensitive it is, is reason enough to stay away from LT1's.

Now, if this car wasn't going to be your 'DD then it wouldn't matter, because you could fix/break it as you have time. But if you're looking for reliability AND easier maintenance in an F-car go with the LS1; maintenance is a snap and you're already starting with a stronger platform than the LT1...

Plus it would be newer.. Just that fact does a lot for maintainence/wear tear.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:21 AM
TECH Resident

go for the stang only if its in better shape. my experience with them has been very well, i have had my mustang for the past few years and it's required less work on it in the past 3 years than the camaro has in the past year.

parts are WAY more available for the mod 4.6 too. but, they are totally different animals. OHC 4.6 vs pushrod 5.7

it all depends on you to look at both and then make your decision, obviously it will be biased towards the lt1 in the lt1 forum.... be comprehensive and look around. in the end which one do you think will make you happier.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:02 AM
On The Tree

If you don't mind working on it, I'd go with the Camaro. It would probably be significantly cheaper to get to 12s. My car just has long tube headers and catback and has the trap speed for low 13s high 12s (didnt get a good run in before getting kicked for no helmet). You can find others in this forum running mid-12s on bolt ons.

Heads and cam should be significantly cheaper with much more options than the Mustang OHC, which is a big reason I picked a Camaro.

The opti can be a problem, but it's not a terrible job to change and Chandler motorsports has decent replacements for around $100. The rear end might be a problem if you want to consistently run 12s with sticky tires.

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying another DD - LT1 Camaro (Convertible)