LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Pro Flow XT for LT1?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 12:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pro Flow XT for LT1?

Is anyone running one of Edelbrock's Pro Flo XT plenums on their LT1 car or SBC?

Worth it, or should I stick with the LT4 plenum?
Old 04-20-2011, 01:21 PM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JamesD.
Is anyone running one of Edelbrock's Pro Flo XT plenums on their LT1 car or SBC?

Worth it, or should I stick with the LT4 plenum?
well first off if its a camaro i dont think it will fit under the hood.........but no i wouldn't think you'd see any gain from it the stock intake is quite capable....more than people make it out to be......

i wouldn't waste your hard earned money
Old 04-20-2011, 01:42 PM
Teching In

I know just how capable the stock intake is. And it's for a '94 LT1 car. The SBC Pro Flo XT's don't have the clearance problems that the LS1 manifolds do. Car's got a harwood wide cowl anyway.

I was really looking at this for the LS1 throttle body, and nitrous plate (thinking 102mm). But these are so new, I haven't seen, read, or experienced much out of them on small blocks.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:11 PM
9 Second Club

id run a single plane setup before i ran this.......im running a single plane with an elbow and a monoblade and having great results
Old 04-20-2011, 03:10 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was thinking the same thing about this intake a few months ago, and I go the same response....stick with what everyone else does cause it's proven....True Hot Rodding was killed by this mentallity. I say if you want it, then use it. Looks like it would function a lot like a tunnel ram, so I don't see it hurting anything if you're running better than a stock engine. Tunnel rams were the King **** for years in the street rod and drag racing for years. Then they started doing sheet metal manifolds that are eerily similar to the tunnel ram only with the runners spread out and larger plenums. I say go for it and don't be afraid to try something new. If our predecessors did that we wouldn't even have fuel injection....
Old 04-20-2011, 05:19 PM
Teching In

Have pics & numbers, Quick?

Also... The only advantage over the existing LT1 is the throttlebody & nitrous plate design compared to the twin 58's of the Lt1. It's not a bad system by any means, but I'm wondering if it could improve it on the big end. At least enough to justify the cost of the manifold swap.

We all know our throttle response is in our TB's and valve geometry. If I can get a 'lick on the manifold I'll run it, if not... stock LT4 it is.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:45 PM
Teching In

Has this seriously not been done, is there no one with pics/specs of this manifold swap??

C'mon, there has to be some one to report the difference.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:37 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by JamesD.
Have pics & numbers, Quick?

Also... The only advantage over the existing LT1 is the throttlebody & nitrous plate design compared to the twin 58's of the Lt1. It's not a bad system by any means, but I'm wondering if it could improve it on the big end. At least enough to justify the cost of the manifold swap.

We all know our throttle response is in our TB's and valve geometry. If I can get a 'lick on the manifold I'll run it, if not... stock LT4 it is.
heres some pics of the intake setup.........as for numbers i dont really have a solid number to judge off of but the car picked up a couple of mph doing this swap...........but the results were skewed by the incorrect converter........a month later i changed just the converter and picked up another 3mph.......as for power number differences i dont have an accurate number.......

Old 04-21-2011, 03:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...-hsr-fits.html

Everything is together... just need to set preload/lash or whatever it ends up being and it'll be driving around. Probably have it running this afternoon actually.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:10 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...-hsr-fits.html

Everything is together... just need to set preload/lash or whatever it ends up being and it'll be driving around. Probably have it running this afternoon actually.
me too!!! i plan on firing mine up soon as i get home tonite
Old 04-21-2011, 03:53 PM
10 Second Club

badass, I have no idea where the tune is going to be at with this new manifold and new cam, probably way off. Tuning with DFI and XFI is fun though, motor runs 1000% better in the course of a 30 minute spirited drive
Old 04-21-2011, 03:56 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
badass, I have no idea where the tune is going to be at with this new manifold and new cam, probably way off. Tuning with DFI and XFI is fun though, motor runs 1000% better in the course of a 30 minute spirited drive
mine should be pretty damn close........but yea the xfi/dfi is awesome i takes about 2 minutes to figure out ur idle.....nice to tune without shutting the car off

want me to send u a copy of my tune it may be close for what u got now........key word there is close lol
Old 04-21-2011, 04:07 PM
10 Second Club

i got gen VII dude... but I'll take a look at it and tweak my VE table from what I've got for the old setup.

steve@pro-jectioneng.com
Old 04-21-2011, 04:26 PM
Teching In

Both setups are clean. I like the elbow. The HSR is also something I've read a lot about, but considering the new technology of the Pro Flo XT with the LS1 based TB, The runner length and diameter may be superior, or it may not be.

I'm betting that holley is a torque monster though.

I'm also saving & hunting parts for the LTCC coil system.

A good buddy of mine is running a '96 with LT4 plenum on a 357 built block with ported heads. He has a guy who's tuned the car through the innovate LC1 wideband using LS1 edit I believe, and he's outrunning almost every F body on the street without the Kit. We haven't even used the kit since the tune. I'm sure there's someone that can shut him down (there's always someone just a little faster), but his setup and tune are putting it down.

I'm honestly a Ford Truck guy at heart and this will be first chevy that I've owned and built for myself. So there's a lot to learn when it comes to the EFI and XFI tuning systems and superiority over one or the other.

Last edited by JamesD.; 04-21-2011 at 04:43 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:32 PM
On The Tree

there was a guy on corvetteforum that did it.. but he didn't tune it after the intake swap and it didn't gain anything as far as e.t. or mph. idk if he went any further with it. i don't remember all the specifics.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:38 PM
10 Second Club

you need to change the cam ALOT to take advantage of a HSR, otherwise it will just bring the powerband down and not gain anything. Like I said in my HSR thread, the stock ports are tiny 1205 gasket sized and aren't big enough to support high revs in a 350ci motor, much less 383+ cubes.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

here you go on a lt1 - http://www.impalassforum.com/vBullet...=247943&page=5

420rwhp.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:10 PM
9 Second Club

idk i just dont see that pro flo xt making any power over a good single plane setup.....for many reasons that i wont even begin to get into
Old 04-22-2011, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

here it is on here, made 466. you can see his reasoning on the proflo in the thread. https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...l#post13887838
Originally Posted by GrannySShifting
Been a long term project, trying to get a LTx to run with whats considered normal and available off the shelf for the LSx guys. 408 (Thanks to Erik @ HKE) 11.3:1, hyd roller, cylinder head that goes over 300 cfm, things that are average for LS guys, but LT guys lack - moderately price 400 inch engines, intake manifolds with some runner length, decent cylinder heads.

With some help from the guys at TEA, especially Brian Tooley, got a decent set of heads to help feed a motor this big. Pretty much everything off the shelf weve ever dealt with for the LT1 stuff is small for a 383 or even 350 inch engine much less something like this - but results look like they are feeding it pretty well.

The LS engines always kill the non existant runner length LTx stuff in the midrange, but we planned from jump street to modify/use the Edelbrock Pro Flow manifold to get the runner length something a little more reasonable with a engine spending most its time from 3000-7000. Had to spend some time with the intake flange to get the LSx 95mm TB packaged as tightly as possible, but it all came out a good fit, from some rough measurements I took looks like it could fit under some of the aftermarket Fbody hoods.

With a set of 1 3/4" headers (1 7/8 were planned but had some delays with the making of a custom set) full dress (AC, power steering, Alt etc) thru the Vig converter flashing to 5200, 3.73 gears in 8.5" rear, made 466 hp and 399 lb ft. Roughly 20 more than a 408 LS1 combination that went 10.3 NA at @3700 lbs

Funny thing is the setup is sitting in something about as non descript as possible, old 9C1 Caprice cop car, black steelies all the way around... only thing is the back ones are widened to 12" with 325 Mickey Thompsen radials on them. Someones feelings might end up getting hurt
Old 04-22-2011, 06:50 PM
Teching In

I'm starting to see the light, Quick. You have my undivided attention now.

I noticed you don't seem to have any clearance issues with the TFS heads or the dizzy. Did that warrant a change in eng mounts/K member?

I'm assuming your car is toting the tires (your avi) with this setup? And you are not using nitrous?

How do you think your setup (or one similar to it) would do with a lower stall converter?

It just seems to me that what you have built is the most cost effective way to flow and produce better power where you want it. I am indeed interested.

Quick Reply: Pro Flow XT for LT1?