LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

My brother's gas tank is spewing fluid from the fill...

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 09:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My brother's gas tank is spewing fluid from the fill...

I haven't come across this before. What causes this? It is a bad FPR? He opens it up and it lets out an exorbitant amount of pressure and spits gas.

I have yet to see it in action, but it sounds tremendous.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:07 PM
TECH Addict

evap solenoid? or crushed evap line?
Old 08-20-2011, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS is right on. I bet if you loosen the cap it will slow it down or stop it. Might have a broken charcole canister bag and a clog somewhere
Old 08-22-2011, 09:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

He needs to street prep the EVAP line.
Seriously the EVAP line is clogged with charcoal and needs to be cleaned out and the filter replaced. Been there.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Delete the EVAP and cut that one way valve off the Vent line..
Old 08-25-2011, 04:23 AM
Teching In

Im his brother, he's talking about my car.

The gas literally boils and drops of fuel spit out when the gas cap is removed. Most of the time it doesn't, but after an hour on the highway in hot as hell AZ, it gets pretty pissy.

17mpg over 1000 miles sucks ***.

Im not worried about passing smog right now, as my car is still registered in AZ, but won't I need the EVAP later on? So I might as well fix it now.

The One way valve, whats its function?, Just get rid of it and merge the 2 hoses with a connector?

Sorry its 2am, my brain is fried after driving and thinking about this for the last week.

How much is a new charcoal filter/cannister?
Old 08-25-2011, 08:33 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your EVAP system completely.

Also, someone correct me if I am wrong but with the older OBD 1 cars, a perfectly functioning catalytic converter is all that you need to pass emissions. I know here in CT they just give it the ol' wand.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Im thinking that your charcole canister bag broke from over filling the tank and auseing the charcole to float out and clog something. It could be as simple as replacing the canister and flushing a few lines out. Or as much as pulling the tank and flushing everything out. It can clog fuel pump lines ect. The spewinout after driving is because its not venting correctly. That's the first line I would remove and try and unplug.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:11 PM
Teching In

And just as I thought its temperature based. Its not doing anything over here in San Diego. Does that point to anything? Could maybe those old hoses gum up from being so damn hot, and when it cooled down they stiffened back up....does my logic sound reasonable?

But the gas smell does remain, but that was before the drive to AZ.

Last edited by SR_94Blackbird; 08-25-2011 at 11:07 PM.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Have you done anything fuel related to the car prior the the issue?
How often when you remove the gas cap does it make a hissing noise? Almost every time?
I have seen fuel pumps shut off after about an hr of run time, sometimes more/less. From the vent tube being clogged with debris or even pinched sometimes, from improper tank install ect. Its hard to say what your problem is without taking parts of the cansiter hose off and checking there first. We have no idea of past repairs performed or the condition of the parts installed. Could be a bad pump, have you hooked a fuel pressed gauge up and drive till it dies and look at fuel pressure. If you think re lines are gummed up then more than just he lines will be. You could use a cleaner but who is to say that wont do more harm then good? I would start with the easy and go from there.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:42 AM
Teching In

In answer to all of your questions

1-Nothing has been done to the car since Ive owned it other than oil changes and new spark plugs and wires.
2- It did it every single time on the trip. Twice was it really nasty and spitting. Since I got back to San Diego, no spitting, and hardly even the slightest hiss at all.
3- Hooked a fuel pressure gauge up, all is well for the pump and injectors

***EDIT: Just finally went out and checked the charcoal canister. 2 of the lines were disconnected and both lines (control and feed tube) to the canister purge valve were broke and one was all gummed up and nasty. So I'll fix those.***

What is the fuel tank vent valve? I mean wouldn't that be the next thing to look at here?

Last edited by SR_94Blackbird; 08-26-2011 at 01:18 AM.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:19 AM
11 Second Club

There is no vent on these cars..how it works is there is a single line with a big one way valve on it..it only lets air in so the EVAP system doesnt over-suck it..pretty much keeps it at normal pressure. There is a pressure Sensor on the Sending Unit that when it hits a certian pressure the EVAP kicks on and opens up the Solenoid on the Engine, then uses the Engine Vac to suck out the Vapors. It sucks through that Charcoal Canister incase there is any moisture(wet gas vapors).

That's my understanding of it anyways.

That's why I made my post up there..delete the EVAP and cut that one way valve off the Vent Line..I've done it with no issues. All the EVAP is for is enviromental friendly tree hugger bullshit.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:35 PM
Teching In

Are you telling me to eliminate the canister purge valve or the tank vent valve? But right now deleting it won't tell me what caused the fuel to boil and spit out in the middle of the desert. I put new hoses from the canister to the purge valve, there was some charcoal pellets that fell out.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

If charcole fell out then its exactly what I was saying. Maybe a piece was stuck then and now unstuck itself from the extra pressure. Would be a great idea to check you fuel tank. Could end up clogging the pump or more lines. Bag broke open and that can be bad
Old 08-26-2011, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here I would just put on a vented cap and remove and cap all the stuff, but I have no idea what your local laws are. You figure the vent for the tank is the line from the back to the carbon canister, you clog it or interupt the functioning of the purge valve and the tank will pressure up big time, no escape for the fuel vapors or for air to enter to replace the fuel etc etc.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:25 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SR_94Blackbird
Are you telling me to eliminate the canister purge valve or the tank vent valve?
All the EVAP ****..all of it. Then again it depends on your inspection laws so I guess make it look like it's there if you have to..lol..

Originally Posted by SR_94Blackbird
But right now deleting it won't tell me what caused the fuel to boil and spit out in the middle of the desert. I put new hoses from the canister to the purge valve, there was some charcoal pellets that fell out.
We kinda did..one of them lines got clogged and the tank couldnt vent. That's why I cut that one way valve off of the vent line on the Tank under the car.

Quick Reply: My brother's gas tank is spewing fluid from the fill...