LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Traction Control on 93?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 10:24 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traction Control on 93?

Hi All
I have a 93 Z28 with a few bolt ons that I'm guessing probably have the engine putting out about 20 or 30 hp over stock.On dry pavement when I Kick the engine up to about 3 or 4K rpm and dump the clutch the car fish tails from side to side. No sound , no smoke from the tires. If it was the non posi rear end doing it I'm thinking it would slide to one side only and still screech and smoke. It doesn't stall at all and the wheels "feel" like they're breaking ground when all this is happening. Bottom line is it won't smoke the tires at a 4k launch. Is this normal at that RPM? I don't know how strong the stock clutch is and don't want to blow it up dumping the clutch at to high RPMs. Any explanation or fix would be greatly appriciated.
Thanks
Damien
Old 10-29-2011, 10:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Get someone to watch your rear tires to confirm what is going on. Traction control came out in 1995.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

old rubber wont make a sound it just sounds like 80 grit sand paper on wood. I had a set that did not make a sound but they were old and I did a burn out in stock form with an auto on fresh asphalt. no sound no smoke in the middle of summer in florida lol. I replaced them cuz they had no grip left at all.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

If it has a posi unit u will see G80 in the glove box RPO codes. Are u asking how to do a better burn out or are u asking how to know if u have a posi unit? Or possibly the posi is broke. Did these cars come with an open rear? I don't believe so.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:55 PM
Teching In

Rear end is stock I'm almost sure its not posi..... and I wasn't asking that. I was wondering why it didn't smoke the tires when I launch at RMPs that should.. If old tire won't (never heard that one before but I do believe it) that could be it. My tires aren't old but i get them from the tire rack and being discounted they my have issues. That still leave me at a loss as to why it fish tails from side to side (Back and forth) vs sliding to one side or the other only?
Old 10-29-2011, 02:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

If it is a Z28, it came from the factory with posi.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:54 PM
TECH Regular

STEPS:
1. Lift rear
2. Spin either tire
3. Watch if other spins...
OR just have someone watch your burnouts...
My tires don't make a sound when they freely spin until they start gaining traction they chirp/squeal a tiny bit. My tires aren't old either and still have quite a bit of tread. They don't smoke unless I'm doing a burnout/brake stand, which I hardly ever do lol..
It depends on the rubber in your tires, my buddy had some softer tires on his TA before he got new tires and rims and they were the loudest ******* things, I swear.. Now he got some nice Kumhos with a stronger rubber and they won't make a noise until the second he grabs traction, then they chirp.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:20 PM
Teching In

Guess that answers my question....... I was thinking something was wrong with my car..... It feels like they spin but no sound, no smoke, I've never seen that before. I feel kind of funny jumping on it and nothing from the tires. Maybe I should get a can of smoke and loud speakers with a tire screech CD so the other kids don't all point at me and laugh
Last really nice ride I had was a 68 Charger R/T ....... That car acted like it was doing a break stand without touching the breaks and then left 2 black stripes on the road 50 feet long when it did start to grab........ I think I sold it for $500 about 35 years ago..... Wonder if I could track it down and buy it back for the same price???? LOL
Old 10-29-2011, 06:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want smoke you can do an old school trick. Fill the washer fluid tank with bleach. Run 2 hoses towards the back that end right before the tires. Right before you are gonne do a burnout hit the washer fluid switch and spray some on the road. As you dump the clutch and take off hold the washer fluid on. That should create some smoke for you.

Quick Reply: Traction Control on 93?