LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 Head Gasket progress

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 08:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LT1 Head Gasket progress

I finally decided to try and replace my head gaskets on my a4 96 z28. I already removed the valve covers and had to get the traction control unit out of the way for the drivers side. I removed the alternator and throttle body. However im kinda stuck on the fuel lines. I heard i need a fuel line disconnect tool, but the manual im following shows nothing about using a tool.

Also, can anyone tell me what this is? I accidentally broke it while trying to remove it.

Will i need to buy a new connector or something?

If i have time tomorow, ill remove the exhaust manifolds, and ill try tro figure out the fuel line removal out. If not ill have to wait till monday.
Also if you guys got any tips for the process let me know.

Thanks for any help!
Old 12-17-2011, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The connection for our fuel lines and the tool needed is the Same concept illustrated in this ford application video,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKgQJ...e_gdata_player

Goto auto zone and get the $10 or less GM" fuel line quick disconnect tool..There are two sizes, get the one that has both..Yes you broke the map sensor plug and will need to re-pin a new one on..
http://www.repairconnector.com/produ...rs-Trucks.html
Don't break ****!

Last edited by defaultexistence; 12-17-2011 at 10:17 PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You can get away with leaving the fuel lines connected. Just pop the rails and injectors off the manifold, then rotate it up and lay it on the windshield/cowl.

But if you want to remove them, get the OEM metal disconnect tools from Autozone. The plastic ones suck.

EFI Connection offers replacement high-quality connectors for a good price. Check their ebay store.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:06 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

MAP Connector..I've only seen one that was whole..they are delicate.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:15 AM
Launching!

Napa sells Weatherpack shells (but they list them as something else so you'll need to dig through the books). Easiest way to fix your broken connector would be to get a new shell and a Weatherpack terminal release tool. Then simply pop the ends out of the old connector and put them in the new one. No crimping, so soldering.

http://www.amazon.com/Delphi-Packard.../dp/B000IIY56E
Old 12-18-2011, 02:10 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by defaultexistence
Goto auto zone and get the $10 or less GM" fuel line quick disconnect tool..There are two sizes, get the one that has both..Yes you broke the map sensor plug and will need to re-pin a new one on..
http://www.repairconnector.com/produ...rs-Trucks.html
Don't break ****!
Thanks for the vid and link. Id seen the tool before but had no idea how it was used.

Originally Posted by Spartan7
You can get away with leaving the fuel lines connected. Just pop the rails and injectors off the manifold, then rotate it up and lay it on the windshield/cowl.

But if you want to remove them, get the OEM metal disconnect tools from Autozone. The plastic ones suck.

EFI Connection offers replacement high-quality connectors for a good price. Check their ebay store.
Id leave em on if i could, but this project might take a good while so i think im better off taking em off. Im thinking about adding an off the shelf cam while i do this. I already have lifters, springs, and im getting new pushrods and rockers soon. Or i might just send my heads to LE or AI

Originally Posted by the_merv
MAP Connector..I've only seen one that was whole..they are delicate.
No doubt, especially on a 15 year old car. It broke very easily

Originally Posted by 97WS6SCharged
Napa sells Weatherpack shells (but they list them as something else so you'll need to dig through the books). Easiest way to fix your broken connector would be to get a new shell and a Weatherpack terminal release tool. Then simply pop the ends out of the old connector and put them in the new one. No crimping, so soldering.

http://www.amazon.com/Delphi-Packard.../dp/B000IIY56E
Thanks for the link. However, will i still need this if i bought the connector from the link default showed me?

Again thanks for the help and tips!
Old 12-18-2011, 06:56 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Zlow28
Thanks for the link. However, will i still need this if i bought the connector from the link default showed me?
No you don't. The pigtail will just need to be soldered onto the original wires.
Best thing to do is to get as much crap out of the engine bay as possible so it is a good idea to get the fuel rails out.
Other thing you'll need is an offset 9/16" box end wrench for one of the bolts that is fastened to the head through the accessory bracket. There is another bolt, same size, that is behind the power steering pump. Pump needs to come off the bracket in order reach the bolt.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Im thinking about adding an off the shelf cam while i do this. I already have lifters, springs, and im getting new pushrods and rockers soon.
Pushrods will be the very last thing you want to buy, once your done with cam or head work and reinstall everything you MUST check pushrod length with a pushrod length tool and a solid lifter(old OEM lifter stuffed with washers with cup and clip reinstalled) Proper length and geometry is critical .Once you get proper length , instead of guessing turns.. You can just take the pushrod tool to a local machine shop and have them measure the length with a caliper and just tell you. I use comp cam tool PN#7905
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cqx8C...e_gdata_player

will i still need this if i bought the connector from the link default!
You can buy either one , but like stated buy the pin removal tool to back the pins outta the broken connection.. Do them one at a time and repin them in proper location on the new plug.. Your not alone, I broke my map plug the first time I had to remove my intake.. It was very brittle . As most of the others I have since replaced..

Last edited by defaultexistence; 12-18-2011 at 12:00 PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:23 AM
11 Second Club

Mine was broken at the clip and all 3 of the plastic parts around the Pins..still stayed in tho..lol.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:44 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the help guys. As for the pushrods, yes i will measure them first, that vid really helps out. However, i couldve sworn i saw one that was covered in gunk or whatever it was. Ill take a better look today. Sucks that the days are so short.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:43 PM
TECH Addict

So i had some time to work on her today, but i still couldnt remove the damn fuel lines. I tried for a good while, and even my stepdad gave it a try and we couldnt get em off. Heres what happened to the fuel line disconnect tool...

It was just a cheap vatozone one with the 3/8" and 5/16" sizes. So imma return it today.

Anyway i just kept going with the fuel rails still intact, and even though it was a PITA, i managed to remove the intake manifold. That gave me enough room to move the fuel rails over the wiring harness and finally, out of the way. So now all i need is to remove the exhaust manifolds, rockers, pushrods and springs to pull off the heads right? Heres what she currently looks like at night

You can see some spots where the coolant went in and mixed with the oil
Old 12-18-2011, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Steam Pipe bolted with banjo bolts to back of heads.. You'll need 4 new gaskets there..
Cheapest i found are GM PN#10108689 on gmpartseast.com ... If you do a cam make sure you check the oil pump drive for wear and at least install a new pump drive steel collar'd shaft..
Old 12-18-2011, 09:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by defaultexistence
Steam Pipe bolted with banjo bolts to back of heads.. You'll need 4 new gaskets there..
Cheapest i found are GM PN#10108689 on gmpartseast.com ... If you do a cam make sure you check the oil pump drive for wear and at least install a new pump drive steel collar'd shaft..
Ahh thanks for reminding me. Im planning on doing Speed Density's coolant crossover conversion shown here. Im going to follow that once i get them off. For the meantime, ill get a friend to help me remove both heads at the same time.

As for the oil pump, how does a new oil pump drive shaft differ from just getting a GM white spring? From what i heard, the white spring will allow you to run more pressure without affecting idle. Will a new oil pump drive shaft work the same? or do they serve a different purpose?
Old 12-19-2011, 07:39 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Ahh thanks for reminding me. Im planning on doing Speed Density's coolant crossover conversion shown here. Im going to follow that once i get them off. For the meantime, ill get a friend to help me remove both heads at the same time.

As for the oil pump, how does a new oil pump drive shaft differ from just getting a GM white spring? From what i heard, the white spring will allow you to run more pressure without affecting idle. Will a new oil pump drive shaft work the same? or do they serve a different purpose?
just cut the coolant crossover pipe and run new plumbing pulling the heads off together is damn near impossible.........as for the oil pump.....let the pressure be theres no reason for you to need increased oil pressure....also you can put in a hardend drive shaft but you're not doing that or changing the spring without dropping the pan which you arent going to be doing in the car so just leave all that stuff alone.....

also that coolant crossover may come really close to the fire wall you can do it with 90* fittings out of the heads and straight hose end fittings.......cheaper also........heres mine i did this mainly to clear some stuff that was in the way.....

Last edited by quik95lt1; 12-19-2011 at 07:44 AM.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:53 AM
11 Second Club

Those holes in the Heads are 1/4NPT..lowes has fittings.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:33 AM
TECH Addict

@quick95lt1, thanks for the pic, thats kinda what i was planning to do. Since the heads will be out, i shouldnt struggle with getting the 90* fittings to face the right direction. So for the oil shaft/spring, itll be ok without upgrading anything (assuming everythings in proper working condition)? If i were to get a cam it will most likely be a cc503 for now.

@merv, ill make sure i write that size down. I can already picture a lowes employee telling me to go to aisle 2 or 7 with a confused look in his face lol

EDIT; today ill unbolt the exhaust manifolds, remove the coolant pipes, rockers, springs, and pushrods, and finally get the heads out.
Thanks again for the help.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:36 AM
9 Second Club

@quick95lt1, thanks for the pic, thats kinda what i was planning to do. Since the heads will be out, i shouldnt struggle with getting the 90* fittings to face the right direction. So for the oil shaft/spring, itll be ok without upgrading anything (assuming everythings in proper working condition)? If i were to get a cam it will most likely be a cc503 for now.

@merv, ill make sure i write that size down. I can already picture a lowes employee telling me to go to aisle 2 or 7 with a confused look in his face lol

EDIT; today ill unbolt the exhaust manifolds, remove the coolant pipes, rockers, springs, and pushrods, and finally get the heads out.
Thanks again for the help.
yea just leave the rest of the motor alone.........what "springs" are you removing??
Old 12-19-2011, 10:11 AM
TECH Addict

Valvesprings. I got some patriot xtreme ones that are going in. Along with new locks, retainers and bases. I just need to order valve stem seals.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

There is No reason to not reuse the stock steam pipe and banjo bolts unless they are broke .. Why rig **** when there's no reason? And no don't screw with the oil pump pressure.. Lots of people report drive failures after doing so.. You don't need the extra pressure..
I'll take your steam pipe and banjo bolts if you don't want them..
You may also need a valve seal install tool...
Old 12-19-2011, 10:44 AM
9 Second Club

Valvesprings. I got some patriot xtreme ones that are going in. Along with new locks, retainers and bases. I just need to order valve stem seals.
gotcha.......just a suggestion when you put the valves back in might as well lap them with some light compound while you're there to clean up the seat........also with the valve seals you dont need a tool pop the old ones off with a needle nose plyers and the new ones put them on in a rotating downward motion.....you'll have no issues

Quick Reply: LT1 Head Gasket progress