LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

My 24x Conversion.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 08:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default My 24x Conversion.....

Halloween night was when my car last ran. It left me stranded on my way home just before the start of a bad snow storm. I was So pissed i decided to bite the bullet on Mike Noonan's 24x conversion. I decided to go big and replace Everything that I could. I purchased a set of used LQ9 coils off ebay for $100 shipped; Along with Mikes direct plug-n play wiring harness. It took exactly 6 weeks to get my harness built (exactly how long Mike said it would) and it was Very well worth it! My camera broke when i started this build so i didnt have the best pictures when things first came together.

My cat likes my harness as much as I do lol

Coils are mounted a very simple aluminum plate thats mounted to the valve cover. I used rubber vibration isolators to dampen any shock o the coils. They worked out really well. I might make new brackets to make the valve cover bolts more accessible.

Stripped and ready

Very orange 96-97' Timing chain cover

Dont forget to change keys!

Beauty

Almost Ready

I also replaced the tired worn out Hub with a JEGS 96-97 hub (whih fit perfectly) along with a new balancer to keep harmonics down to a minimum.
The harness installed 1-2-3... Mike was very thorough when asking me about my car so he could build the harness perfectly. Everthing Fit Like stock if not Better! Everything is wrapped Beautifully and Extremely OCD hahaha Im honored to say that His harness is in MY car! With everything setup and in place it was time for a tune. I asked Mike who he recommended and he told me to call up Jame Lippencott from Smokeys Dyno. Jame was also extremely OCD and thorough. I got the LS1 PCM out to him on Monday and got it back Friday! With all the pieces to the puzzle situated it was time for a crossing of the fingers and the first attempt to fire up the ol' LT1 in 3 months....

http://youtu.be/SUZCsxhoMK4?hd=1

I cant believe how Smooth it idles! And with 3 month old gas too! The exhaust smells clean as opposed to the heavy smell of gas everytime it would run. AFR bounces from 14-15 at idle ( i have an exhaust leak somewhere) There are only 2 things that i have to do now. The first is take it to a GM dealership so that they can relearn the crank position sensor. And then take a video of my AFR gauge from a 2nd gear pull to give to Jame along with my PCM so he can fine tune it... Im so excited and I can Not express the happiness i have! My car is running Better then ever! A huge thanks to Mike and Jame for allowing me to get my car running like its never ran before! Ill update this when things get more underway......
Old 02-17-2012, 09:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SoxXpupPeT
Halloween night was when my car last ran. It left me stranded on my way home just before the start of a bad snow storm. I was So pissed i decided to bite the bullet on Mike Noonan's 24x conversion. I decided to go big and replace Everything that I could. I purchased a set of used LQ9 coils off ebay for $100 shipped; Along with Mikes direct plug-n play wiring harness. It took exactly 6 weeks to get my harness built (exactly how long Mike said it would) and it was Very well worth it! My camera broke when i started this build so i didnt have the best pictures when things first came together.

My cat likes my harness as much as I do lol

Coils are mounted a very simple aluminum plate thats mounted to the valve cover. I used rubber vibration isolators to dampen any shock o the coils. They worked out really well. I might make new brackets to make the valve cover bolts more accessible.

Stripped and ready

Very orange 96-97' Timing chain cover

Dont forget to change keys!

Beauty

Almost Ready

I also replaced the tired worn out Hub with a JEGS 96-97 hub (whih fit perfectly) along with a new balancer to keep harmonics down to a minimum.
The harness installed 1-2-3... Mike was very thorough when asking me about my car so he could build the harness perfectly. Everthing Fit Like stock if not Better! Everything is wrapped Beautifully and Extremely OCD hahaha Im honored to say that His harness is in MY car! With everything setup and in place it was time for a tune. I asked Mike who he recommended and he told me to call up Jame Lippencott from Smokeys Dyno. Jame was also extremely OCD and thorough. I got the LS1 PCM out to him on Monday and got it back Friday! With all the pieces to the puzzle situated it was time for a crossing of the fingers and the first attempt to fire up the ol' LT1 in 3 months....

I cant believe how Smooth it idles! And with 3 month old gas too! The exhaust smells clean as opposed to the heavy smell of gas everytime it would run. AFR bounces from 14-15 at idle ( i have an exhaust leak somewhere) There are only 2 things that i have to do now. The first is take it to a GM dealership so that they can relearn the crank position sensor. And then take a video of my AFR gauge from a 2nd gear pull to give to Jame along with my PCM so he can fine tune it... Im so excited and I can Not express the happiness i have! My car is running Better then ever! A huge thanks to Mike and Jame for allowing me to get my car running like its never ran before! Ill update this when things get more underway......
Grats!!

Thats a killer setup and will be on my car when the time comes.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

You beat me by 2 week lol. Great work.

EDIT: scratch that mine maybe done Sunday my tuner maybe coming down to help me out.

Last edited by lethal bird; 02-17-2012 at 11:17 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:22 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice !!! 24x and soon 8.8 rear end (right?)
Old 02-18-2012, 01:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Puck
Grats!!

Thats a killer setup and will be on my car when the time comes.
Thanks! I never thought id have the ***** to do the 24x let alone with the new wiring harness. I guess i proved to myself that I not only had the ***** to do it; but had some extra

Originally Posted by lethal bird
You beat me by 2 week lol. Great work.

EDIT: scratch that mine maybe done Sunday my tuner maybe coming down to help me out.
Awesome man! You will Love it i promise you! the car moved tonight under its own power for the first time since halloween! Awesome feeling to say the least...

Originally Posted by TSAEB
Nice !!! 24x and soon 8.8 rear end (right?)
That is Correct. In fact the 8.8 might be sooner then I thought. Whilst im useing my friend garage to work on my car. He generously offered his help along with as much time as i need to get my car completely worked out. Meaning that i can redo my exhaust, my interior some minor body work and the 8.8!
Old 02-18-2012, 02:01 AM
TECH Resident

is thisa efi connection 24x conversion?
Old 02-18-2012, 02:05 AM
Teching In

Cool build
Old 02-18-2012, 05:11 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome! Redo you exhaust??.... Again?
Old 02-18-2012, 06:35 AM
TECH Regular

Nice work!

Jamy (of Smokey's Dyno) is a fantastic tuner. He has tuned more 24x conversions than anyone I know.

We are doing a 24x install right now on a 1997 Trans Am. The car arrived yesterday and we will get started later today. You can follow the progress at http://www.facebook.com/eficonnection
Old 02-18-2012, 07:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by tt383lt1
is this a efi connection 24x conversion?
Yes it is.

Originally Posted by 83 silverado
Cool build
Thanks. Itll be even cooler when im done with the car

Originally Posted by 355z28
Awesome! Redo you exhaust??.... Again?
Lmao yup! Not alot tho. I have to pull the headers to face the flanges. While there out im going to wrap them in afew tight spots to keep the heat in the headers instead of the engine bay. I have a slight leak somewhere thats causing my wideband to jump around. I also have to replace my broken hooker maxflow muffler for my new Borla pro-xs Ill be sure to post the redo on that when it happens.

Originally Posted by S10Wildside
Nice work!

Jamy (of Smokey's Dyno) is a fantastic tuner. He has tuned more 24x conversions than anyone I know.

We are doing a 24x install right now on a 1997 Trans Am. The car arrived yesterday and we will get started later today. You can follow the progress at http://www.facebook.com/eficonnection
Thanks Mike! I couldnt of done it without your setup tho. I was going to email you this weekend to let you know how Great everything went in! The harness is worth its weight in Gold! I Love how OCD you are with it hahaha Thats a really clean Trams Am! Gonna be wicked when its done...
Old 02-18-2012, 10:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

So what was the total cost? I'm thinking of doing this within the next year..
Old 02-18-2012, 11:28 AM
Launching!

Very nice! The harness is top notch and well worth it. Glad to see the conversion went good for you.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jlpz
So what was the total cost? I'm thinking of doing this within the next year..
Here's how much it costed me.
24x $540
Coils $55 (friend deal)
PCM $100
Cover $50
Hub $40
Tune $130-200
Harness kit $100
Repined it myself
Made coil mounts out of some spare sheet metal.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Very sweet! I can just imagine how great it felt to have it fire the first crank without an OPTI! This is kicking my *** i want winter to be over so i finish up mine!

Congrats Bro
Old 02-18-2012, 03:27 PM
12 Second Club

Nice job!!! Sounds great!
Old 02-19-2012, 03:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks for all the kind words guys! Its been a blast finally getting the car to this state. I spent a pretty penny with everything all in all but for me it was very well worth it. Not to mention i was able to sell afew of my old parts to make up abit of the difference. I hope to take the car out this week for the first time and get the crank relearn taken care of so i can do my 2nd gear pull and finish the tune GOD IM SO HAPPY!
Old 02-27-2012, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

So is she still running good?
Old 02-27-2012, 11:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by lethal bird
So is she still running good?
Yes it is thankfully! I can tell it needs the crank position relearned but I am under many time restraints. I have an important test coming up this weekend so all of my time and energy has been going into that. I have to pull my headers to face them and wrap them. Then its off to have magic happen!
Old 02-28-2012, 07:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Sweet!
Old 02-28-2012, 12:22 PM
On The Tree

has anyone ever made there own harness?

Quick Reply: My 24x Conversion.....