LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

PVC system problem or bigger?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 08:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PVC system problem or bigger?

Is there more to the PCV system than just the passenger side fresh air tube connected to the TB on the pass side top most tube connector and the PCV valve on the drivers side ( 97 LT1 ) connected to under the TB?

I have a leak on the pass side and its either coming from the valve cover itself ( just put new gaskets on, everything looked good ), the filler tube or worse oil coming up from the dipstick. I had this leak before the new valve cover gaskets just not as bad. I added an o-ring to the base of the filler tube and screwed it back on but did not help. so I am thinking it must be coming from the dipstick tube. If that is the case the PVC system is not working correct?

Last I checked ( month ago or so ) the PCV valve was ok.

Is this a sure sign of a rebuild needed? Or is it a take the intake off and check? or is the TB pushing / allowing air from the intake to be shoved into the pass side head?

Last edited by TABR; 02-21-2012 at 01:29 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would think the new gasket is not properly installed. The rubber gaskets like to pop off the corners when you go to install them. I like to dab all corners with rtv before re installing.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Slip the larger PCV system hose (runs to the pass valve cover) off of the throttle body. With the motor running, see if air is blowing out the hose. If you feel any significant amount of air blowing out the hose, you likely have blow-by and thats indicative of needing a rebuild. That can also casue oil leaks.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:36 PM
Teching In

Thanks..

The more I read the more I think it will need a rebuild. I will definitely see if that larger pipe has any significant airflow. But I am thinking I need to prep myself for the cost of a rebuild...
Old 02-21-2012, 01:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok just to make this clear as to what wrd1972 was saying. As long as I was told the correct info then this should be correct, The passenger side hose is the fresh air supply hose. It takes air from the tb to the passenger side valve cover port.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:39 PM
Teching In

Good news for me ( I hope LOL )

I took that tube off the TB and started the car up and did not feel much if any air coming from the tube. I also pulled the PCV valve while running and it was whistling with the suction that was being created. So that is good news.

I also opened the filler tube and did not see any puffs of smoke ( maybe need to check after its warm )

So now I am thinking the valve cover is warped. Any sure fire ways to KNOW that it is sealed correctly? bead of RTV on the head, let dry and put cover on maybe?
Old 02-22-2012, 12:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would not RTV the head. Lay the cover on a flat surface to determine if they are warped. If you need some replacement covers, I have a set of primed ones for $25 + shipping. PM me if interested.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:07 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wrd1972
I would not RTV the head. Lay the cover on a flat surface to determine if they are warped. If you need some replacement covers, I have a set of primed ones for $25 + shipping. PM me if interested.
I will definitely let you know. Taking the covers off on Saturday...

Quick Reply: PVC system problem or bigger?