LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Help Guide my LT1's mods (94 T/A)

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 11:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Guide my LT1's mods (94 T/A)

I'm a college kid, lt1 noob, but just got my new opti/WP/plugs+wires/ICM/fuel pump/Ignition coil installed after a few months of problems, and the car is driving like a dream.

i have a CAI, but a mostly stock car.

I'm wanting to have a bit more rumble, and am looking to start getting an after market exhaust, although at $500 budget. so obviously I cant go out and get a nice set of headers, or run some true duals.

I daily drive the car, so the ability to have the sound tame below 2000 rpm or so would be a plus. I haven't looking into mufflers or resonators too much, but if someone knows of a setup that won't be tooooo loud tooling around town, that can really wake the neighborhood if i mash the gas, let me know.
or would a set of headers and a cutout be a better option.
with the headers and stock muffler there would probably be only a slight change in exhaust note, but with the cutout open i could really hurt some eardrums.

I'm trying to decide if a catback would be the way to go, or a set of headers and a cutout.

if i went with headers, what should i do about the AIR and EGR? can i just delete them, and put a tune (OBD1) to pass emissions on the car once a year for the next 5 years?

Thanks!
Old 06-25-2013, 03:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Instead of getting an entire cat-back you could just replace the muffler. Magnaflow and Hooker make straight-through mufflers that will fit your budget. As far as headers, all I can comment on are my MAC midlengths. Ground clearance and plug access are outstanding. I don't remember how much I paid for them but I'm sure it was less than $500. They also have air and egr hookups.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:38 AM
Launching!

Keep an eye on the classifieds/craigslist for used cat-backs. Ive seen part outs where people were selling them for about $100 give or take. Never know what your gunna find. Otherwise a good cat-back system will eat your whole budget(+ a shop to install it)
Old 06-25-2013, 08:31 AM
Launching!

You could also look into the TSP Rumbler catback. Those are budget friendly catback wise
Old 06-25-2013, 08:54 AM
Teching In

nice i hadnt seen the texas speed cat back before. is there a big difference in performance gains or a new catback vs headers and a cutout? i assumed that an open cutout before the cat would be a bit quicker than a new catback or muffler. in the future id like a full exhaust, so I'm trying to get half of one now, and want the most bang for my buck
Old 06-25-2013, 05:15 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Andrew6.688
nice i hadnt seen the texas speed cat back before. is there a big difference in performance gains or a new catback vs headers and a cutout? i assumed that an open cutout before the cat would be a bit quicker than a new catback or muffler. in the future id like a full exhaust, so I'm trying to get half of one now, and want the most bang for my buck
get yourself a set of pacesetter long tubes, matching y-pipe, a good 3" electric cutout a 3" to 2 3/4" reducer and delete the cat if you dont have to have your car inspected (set it up in that order on the exhaust)

you'll want some good exhaust clamps unless your going to weld it all up ... otherwise all it takes is a sawsall and some hand tools... and a floor jack.

poor mans exhaust... very effective. You can drive around with the stock catback which with headers does sound decent to me, and then for the fun times open the cutout and sound like hell is coming down the road lol

PS with exhaust clamps and stuff it might be over your $500 budget by a tad but man its so much fun
Old 06-25-2013, 05:20 PM
On The Tree

i know you got a five hundred dollar budget but for a couple hundred dollars more i would get a gmmg aka madhammer nothing touches it for the lt1 in my opinion.besides true duals anyway!
Old 06-25-2013, 05:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you're looking for more power long tube headers are the way to go. If all you want is sound then a good catback or muffler will do it. Catback/muffler choice is mostly matter of opinion, but if you are keeping the stock manifolds and Cat then i would suggest either the TSP rumber or SLP loudmouth 2. I believe on a 94 you can delete the AIR, EGR and cat converter without throwing a code, but if you have a visual or sniffer inspection it is likely you will fail.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:10 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by wysemunky
If you're looking for more power long tube headers are the way to go. If all you want is sound then a good catback or muffler will do it. Catback/muffler choice is mostly matter of opinion, but if you are keeping the stock manifolds and Cat then i would suggest either the TSP rumber or SLP loudmouth 2. I believe on a 94 you can delete the AIR, EGR and cat converter without throwing a code, but if you have a visual or sniffer inspection it is likely you will fail.
as long as the A.I.R fuse is still in good condition removing the A.I.R pump and cat wont throw a code. The EGR would throw a code though
Old 06-26-2013, 12:02 AM
Teching In

Yeah I'm getting sniffed on the 8th next month. If I get the headers and ditch AIR + EGR, the codes can be tuned out of a obd1 correct? but if i pull the AIR and EGR can the obd1 be programmed to run in a manner that will pass sniff with only a cat?
Old 06-28-2013, 11:10 PM
Teching In

http://greensboro.craigslist.org/pts/3801985874.html
good deal ?
Old 06-29-2013, 12:43 AM
Launching!

Not bad since it includes the Y pipe. I'm not sure the comparison between stock and shorty header difference but my lt1 had BBK shortys when I bought it and it sounded like dog **** lol. Also had flowmaster 10's
Old 06-29-2013, 04:35 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Yea wait for some long tubes to pop up, if you can shop around on the forums and Craigslist you can do intake, catback and headers for $500. The flow master catback for our cars doesn't flow more than stock so avoid it, and listen to some YouTube clips of the loudmouth with headers, seems raspy to me. I love my magnaflow. The cheapest and best flowing intake is the ls1 lid if your ok with cutting the underside of your hood and a little of your radiator support.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:07 AM
TECH Regular

The very first mod I did on my car was 3" straight pipe from the cat back, no mufflers, single exit over the axel. Sounded badass when engine braking and popped nice between upshifts too. Loved it. Way cheaper then any cat back that was for sale and sounded way better too. Any shop can do it.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:29 AM
Teching In

yeah, bufmatmuslepants, i already have a cai and race filter, so i think ill be fine w/o one. an airfoil might be something ill try and pickup for under 40 dollars

looks like ill wait for a set of long tubes.

and jason, i said that i wanted the exhaust to be tame when driving around town when keeping my foot outta the gas pedal!
Old 06-29-2013, 09:48 AM
TECH Regular

It is tame sounds like an open borla only better
Old 06-29-2013, 12:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a set of FLP coated headers, Y-pipe with cats & offroad pipes taking up space in my shop and wouldn't mind seeing them go to a good home. They're a nice setup for somebody who needs to pass a sniffer. Let me know if you're interested.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:07 PM
Teching In

Wow that sounds like a great set, One question: My lt1 has one cat in between the muffler, and the manifolds. i assume when you said cats, you mean theres 2. before the 2 manifolds merge? This i am assuming is more free flowing than a single cat?
Old 07-02-2013, 09:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Andrew6.688
Wow that sounds like a great set, One question: My lt1 has one cat in between the muffler, and the manifolds. i assume when you said cats, you mean theres 2. before the 2 manifolds merge? This i am assuming is more free flowing than a single cat?
Yes, the 96-97 cars have dual cats, a slightly less restictive y-pipe, and were rated at 285 HP, vs. the 275 HP 93-95's had with 1 cat and kinked y pipe which is quite restrictive.

Don't worry about that though, 1 cat is cheaper to replace than 2 If you put headers on it, most come with a custom y pipe that flows good.

Quick Reply: Help Guide my LT1's mods (94 T/A)