LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Best bang-for-your-buck heads?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 01:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best bang-for-your-buck heads?

I just spoke with Lloyd about getting a new cam for my LT1. I gave him a list of future mods, including LE1 heads and he recommended a 231/239 .571/.587 110 LSA, considering the wicked idle I also asked for. Well, I was recently told that there were better bangs for the buck to go with on this setup with a cam like this. I'm just curious to know what are my other options so I can still use this cam and spend less (if possible) on a set of heads.

Last edited by Bow Tie Power; 09-18-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Old 09-14-2013, 01:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive always considered LE heads your best bang for your buck. Your not only paying for performance, but youre also getting quality.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:39 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Bow Tie Power
I just spoke with Loyd about getting a new cam for my LT1. I gave him a list of future mods, including LE1 heads and he recommended a 231/239 .571/.587 110 LSA, considering the wicked idle I also asked for. Well, I was recently told that there were better bangs for the buck to go with on this setup with a cam like this. I'm just curious to know what are my other options so I can still use this cam and spend less (if possible) on a set of heads.
I'd call Chris Straub and have him grind you a cam out based on the flow characteristics of LE's port work (if you decide to go that route). You're settling for less if you go through the trouble of getting a set of heads and pick a generic shelf cam, or a "one size fits all" hoping that it serves optimally. Tried and true may work well, but precision is what nets the most gains and consistency. Really just depends what your intentions are. If it's just a driver with occasional strip time then a new custom cam isn't worth it generally.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by DeltaElite121
I'd call Chris Straub and have him grind you a cam out based on...............You're settling for less if you go through the trouble of getting a set of heads and pick a generic shelf cam, or a "one size fits all" hoping that it serves optimally.........
You do realize that LE knows the flow charactoristics of his heads.....and has spec'ed a cam specific to Bow Tie's set-ups......right?

Bow Tie. I would find it difficult to believe that someone can spec a better H/C set for equal to, or less than what LE can do for you.

But......more power to ya if you can find better.

KW
Old 09-14-2013, 09:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by KW Baraka
You do realize that LE knows the flow charactoristics of his heads.....and has spec'ed a cam specific to Bow Tie's set-ups......right?

Bow Tie. I would find it difficult to believe that someone can spec a better H/C set for equal to, or less than what LE can do for you.

KW
Virtually what I expected. From what I hear, LE is one of the best out there and I seriously doubt there are better heads out there.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:33 PM
Staging Lane

KW
I'll let that one go, because if I told you my experiences with Lloyd - you'd think three times over before putting him on a pedestal like that. He's no scam artist by any means (and a very nice guy, at that) but some things he believes/practices with his business are one giant WTF.

Chris Straub GUARANTEES he can pick up several tenths over any current cam you currently have in the car while offering better drivability characteristics all the way around and more consistent power throughout the powerband. No other company will stand behind that claim (Comp, Lunati, Crower, you name it), but Chris will and always has. His reputation speaks for itself.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Truth be told AI ported stock castings consistently outperform LEs. All the fast guys run them. There have been more complaints about LE than there are about AI.

Flame suit on.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Truth be told AI ported stock castings consistently outperform LEs. All the fast guys run them. There have been more complaints about LE than there are about AI.

Flame suit on.
He tried to sell me on 245cc heads + a single plane for my 7200 RPM 11:1 355 SBC. I actually choked on my soda when he told me that over the phone and I asked him to repeat himself one more time to make sure I heard him correctly.

I'd also go for AI between the two. My personal choice? Dennis Wheet at Airflow Development. THAT guy is one sharp individual.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:26 AM
Launching!

Flame suit on.
I second this, slightly more expensive, but its worth every dollar. I love my AI 200cc h/c/i from them.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:36 PM
Launching!

Wow. I haven't heard a whole lot about AI... I'm guessing that's Advanced Induction?
Old 09-15-2013, 03:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes.

www.advancedinduction.com
Old 09-15-2013, 03:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Zlow28
Ive always considered LE heads your best bang for your buck. Your not only paying for performance, but youre also getting quality.
He has a great product at an excellent price.

Flame suit on.
All? I don't know about that.

The OP asked for bang for the buck.

LE1 heads are $900. Nothing can touch that for the price. The cheapest AI head is their 190cc package which is $1450. LE2 heads are cheaper than that at $1300.

These threads never stay on topic. Everyone just has to chime in with their own personal preference whether it's relative or not. I don't know of anyone with a proven porting program under $1g for an LT1 head. There's probably some shops out there that used to do LT1 stuff that have the ability to work on a set of heads for cheap, but they've probably moved into the LSx world like most of the others.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by joelster
He has a great product at an excellent price.

All? I don't know about that.

The OP asked for bang for the buck.

LE1 heads are $900. Nothing can touch that for the price. The cheapest AI head is their 190cc package which is $1450. LE2 heads are cheaper than that at $1300.

These threads never stay on topic. Everyone just has to chime in with their own personal preference whether it's relative or not. I don't know of anyone with a proven porting program under $1g for an LT1 head. There's probably some shops out there that used to do LT1 stuff that have the ability to work on a set of heads for cheap, but they've probably moved into the LSx world like most of the others.
Realistically, this whole motorsport is about opinions. 'Proven' is subjective because there are a lot of elements that go into that, and it depends who's asking the question. Lloyd is very fair in his pricing, but I've seen better work for cheaper. Just depends on how deep you plan on looking. Even you have voiced your own opinion in the matter. All opinions are equally valid in weight, ultimately.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Realistically, this whole motorsport is about opinions. 'Proven' is subjective because there are a lot of elements that go into that, and it depends who's asking the question. Lloyd is very fair in his pricing, but I've seen better work for cheaper. Just depends on how deep you plan on looking. Even you have voiced your own opinion in the matter. All opinions are equally valid in weight, ultimately.
Better work for cheaper? $900 for a good street/strip setup? I'm not saying it's not possible, but that is a really strong pricepoint that LE is at, being under a grand. Show me an example, with a link.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by joelster
Better work for cheaper? $900 for a good street/strip setup? I'm not saying it's not possible, but that is a really strong pricepoint that LE is at, being under a grand. Show me an example, with a link.
Oh I'm not disagreeing with you. The person I know does a lot of local work for guys here and doesn't have a website and does work on a person-by-person basis. He also doesn't advertise as all his business it strictly word of mouth; particularly with the track crowd. Lloyd was smart in taking advantage of the demand in the Internet forums as a source of permanent advertisement. You won't find a better price per cfm gain on the Internet, but localized is a whole other ballpark. I tend to deal locally with most of my applications. Your average price for similar port work is quite a bit more in comparison.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

I'll let that one go, because if I told you my experiences with Lloyd - you'd think three times over before putting him on a pedestal like that......
I haven't and won't put Lloyd "on a pedestal".....I simply stated that......

......I would find it difficult to believe that someone can spec a better H/C set for equal to, or less than what LE can do for you......
KW
Old 09-15-2013, 09:20 PM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

What turned me off about LE is the constant complaints of quality issues. This started years ago before many of the cheer leaders even had either a license or a f-body or were on any f-body forum as well as a friend of mine having swapped out his $500 ported heads for LE heads and he had the same results at the track. If you want mediocre results then go for bang-for-the-buck heads like LE.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SS RRR
What turned me off about LE is the constant complaints of quality issues. This started years ago before many of the cheer leaders even had either a license or a f-body or were on any f-body forum as well as a friend of mine having swapped out his $500 ported heads for LE heads and he had the same results at the track. If you want mediocre results then go for bang-for-the-buck heads like LE.
I think some of the users here were complaining about him punching holes through the runners and/or stress fracturing from thin walls IIRC. That is what I remember, anyways.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:41 PM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Valve float issues, valve geometry issues, ports so badly distorted they looked like they were done by a six year old, different length valves, etc. All of it was excused as the consumer's fault by those who believed LE could do no wrong.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:51 PM
Launching!

Ok guys, this car will be a street car, possibly a daily driver, and will see little strip time. Would it be worth getting LE1 heads or for my setup, would it be best to just vget my stock heads ported?

Quick Reply: Best bang-for-your-buck heads?