LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

lt1 camaro not running/won't start

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 03:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lt1 camaro not running/won't start

Hey guys I need a quick anwsere as to why my car won't start. Its a 1996 lt1 camaro and this damn this decide to stop running and won't start up and there is no spark and I just replaced the coil and ICM and still no spark and no trouble codes at all so its becoming impossible to find out the problem. At this point I'm just throwing cash at it for it not to start. Any ideas?
Old 11-30-2013, 03:40 PM
10 Second Club

Do you have fuel? Let me look for my OPTI diagnosing chart. Ill post a link up when I find it. Eric L
Old 11-30-2013, 03:43 PM
10 Second Club

Start by reading this thread. I found it helpful. Hope this helps, Eric L

http://www.ls1lt1.com/forum/lt1-%7C-...optispark.html
Old 11-30-2013, 03:46 PM
10 Second Club

http://www.mainstreamtopics.com/foru...rt-diagnostic/

This is the article that I used to diagnois my opti problems. IMHO its the best that ive found. Hope this helps, Eric L
Old 11-30-2013, 04:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Prorac1
Do you have fuel? Let me look for my OPTI diagnosing chart. Ill post a link up when I find it. Eric L
We pulled a spark plug out and there is no fuel on it but we can hear the fuel pump when we try to start it.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:58 PM
Teching In

http://www.mainstreamtopics.com/foru...rt-diagnostic/

This is the article that I used to diagnois my opti problems. IMHO its the best that ive found. Hope this helps, Eric L
Thank you! I'm waiting to go get a tester so I can try it out. Would it be best to try and test the white wire coming from the RCM/pcm (whatever it is) to the icm to see if its giving power? I'm leaning towards the computer since I changed the coil an ICM. How much would that cost to have a mechanic fix it since it needs to be reprogrammed? And gm needs to do it right?
Old 11-30-2013, 04:58 PM
Teching In

Ecm not RCM sorry
Old 11-30-2013, 05:01 PM
10 Second Club

I seriously doubt its the computer. Check the fuel pressure, and complete the opti test. Im willing to bet you need an opti, or at least a cap and rotor. How many miles are on the current opti, and what brand is it? Also, check your plug wires. Ive ruined an opti because of a bad/shorting plug wires. Hope this helps, Eric L
Old 11-30-2013, 05:05 PM
Teching In

I seriously doubt its the computer. Check the fuel pressure, and complete the opti test. Im willing to bet you need an opti, or at least a cap and rotor. How many miles are on the current opti, and what brand is it? Also, check your plug wires. Ive ruined an opti because of a bad/shorting plug wires. Hope this helps, Eric L
One thing I should have told you guys is that I changed the spark plugs and they where the original plugs and the car had around 93k on it! The previous owner didn't change the plugs/wires/cap n rotor. I'm wondering if it could be in the wires or cap n rotor. The opti is original as well.I was in process of finishing the tune up before this
Old 11-30-2013, 05:08 PM
10 Second Club

Check the plug wires, and complete the opti test. Good chance if it had a miss in it when you bought it, the optical eye is toast. Let me know what you find in the opti test. Hope this helped. I remember replacing my optiS (yes, plural, lol) Its a pain in the *** to diagnois. Eric L
Old 11-30-2013, 05:10 PM
Teching In

Check the plug wires, and complete the opti test. Good chance if it had a miss in it when you bought it, the optical eye is toast. Let me know what you find in the opti test. Hope this helped. I remember replacing my optiS (yes, plural, lol) Its a pain in the *** to diagnois. Eric L
The I heard its a major pita that's why I'm staying away from it haha. I'll let you know when I get a chance to figure it out and finish the test. Thanks again
Old 11-30-2013, 07:37 PM
Teching In

So it started getting dark by the time I was able to do some testing and I was only able to test the pink wire and white wire and I didn't get no power to those wires. I got under the car with a flashlight and the opti has oil on the bottom of it. Well I have a small power steering pump leak and it got on the belt and flung it and the bottom of my engine is practically drenched in oil. A guy here had the same problem and had oil in his opti so I have the feeling I am having this problem. So I'm gonna take it apart tomorrow and see for sure before I continue the opti testing
Old 03-05-2014, 01:15 PM
Teching In

Default how did you fix it??

how did you fix it???

Quick Reply: lt1 camaro not running/won't start