LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

94 z28 lt1

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 z28 lt1

i need some help, dad gave me this car said if i fix it up i can have it, well heres the problem he ust to bracket race it, stock with a few mods chip, cia, etc, well he blew the head gaskets took the heads off the motor and water sat in the cylinders, well is that block worth boring out its a stock bore, looking to spruce it up a little while doing the build..... need some opinions on what to get what to do etc thanks
Old 03-04-2014, 07:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like it's time to have a reputable engine shop take a look at that block and internals and see what is usable. I would start off by planning to spend 1800 bucks on rebuilding the bottom end having heads cleaned up and getting gaskets and parts cleaned up to resemble. That is if everything is ok and no parts are needed. You might be able to find an engine pull out of a junk car that runs for cheaper then bringing this one back to life. Hell you may almost be able to buy a running LT1 car for what it may cost to bring that engine back to life. Depends on how much you want to spend and how well or long you want it to run.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:10 PM

i think im best off getting a pulled one, and doing a cam swap i have about 2000 cash right now
Old 03-04-2014, 11:05 PM

Got what you need. All new LT-1. Block's been bored .060, Mahle forged and coated pistons with floating pins, plasma moly file fit rings, Eagle 6" connecting rods, 10:1 compression for pump gas, block has been slick honed and rings file fit, rotating assembly has been balanced and short block has been professionally assembled and all clearances checked, New reman heads with new 2.02/1.60 valves, new Comp springs, retainers, cups, and keepers, new Comp hydraulic roller cam and Howard's HR lifters all still new in the boxes, new oil pump, new timing set, head studs and main studs. I have no need for this engine. Sold the car I was building it for. Should make 425-450hp on pump gas and will stand 150hp nitrous reliably. $2200 cash firm for all of it. Located in Middlesboro Ky. Truck freight has been averaging around $250 to ship an engine. The short block alone is worth what I want for all of it. A tad over $5400 invested. My email address is samsbenefits@yahoo.com or contact me on here. Thanks.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Will_Calton
i think im best off getting a pulled one, and doing a cam swap i have about 2000 cash right now
Got what you need. All new LT-1. Block's been bored .060, Mahle forged and coated pistons with floating pins, plasma moly file fit rings, Eagle 6" connecting rods, 10:1 compression for pump gas, block has been slick honed and rings file fit, rotating assembly has been balanced and short block has been professionally assembled and all clearances checked, New reman heads with new 2.02/1.60 valves, new Comp springs, retainers, cups, and keepers, new Comp hydraulic roller cam and Howard's HR lifters all still new in the boxes, new oil pump, new timing set, head studs and main studs. I have no need for this engine. Sold the car I was building it for. Should make 425-450hp on pump gas and will stand 150hp nitrous reliably. $2200 cash firm for all of it. Located in Middlesboro Ky. Truck freight has been averaging around $250 to ship an engine. The short block alone is worth what I want for all of it. A tad over $5400 invested. My email address is samsbenefits@yahoo.com or contact me on here. Thanks.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:06 AM
TECH Resident

id definetley look at getting a new block and just get it running. horsepower is a great and addictive drug, however it comes at a price and for 2000 being your price to get it running and add some goodies i'd think again. Wish you the best and a stock lt1 with bolt ons should hold you over for a little bit, they're still a pretty stout engine.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Will_Calton
i need some help, dad gave me this car said if i fix it up i can have it, well heres the problem he ust to bracket race it, stock with a few mods chip, cia, etc, well he blew the head gaskets took the heads off the motor and water sat in the cylinders, well is that block worth boring out its a stock bore, looking to spruce it up a little while doing the build..... need some opinions on what to get what to do etc thanks
Fyi....94 does not have a "chip". Have a reputable engine shop check it out, may just need a hone on the cylinders; how many miles? Cam it!
Old 03-05-2014, 02:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You can probably find a running stock longblock with low miles on it for a few hundred. Cam it slap some longtubes on, drop it in and call it a day.

Or you can rebuild the one you have if it's useable. It really just depends on your budget and what you want out of the car.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:08 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dixieman21
Got what you need....10:1 compression for pump gas...
10.5-10.8 is stock on these motors. Properly built ones can run 12:1 on pump fuel just fine. Typical heads/cam cars on stock bottom ends run in the low 11s. Been done countless times in all conditions.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd find a good used pull out and get it running, then use the old motor for a foundation to build something better down the road.

Quick Reply: 94 z28 lt1