LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

F1a procharger belt

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 01:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F1a procharger belt

I Have a f1a procharger on the 1994 camaro. How tight should the procharger belt be. The belt is so tight right now that I have to remove the crank pulley if I want to remove the belt. I did not build the car. So I have no reference point on how tight it should be. With this have any negative effects of the procharger or crank bearing's?Thanks in advance.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Ideally someone with more experience RE: belt tightness for SC will advise....but it is my understanding if they are VERY tight, especially when cold, that is not good.

I do know of one guy with a built LT1 with a SC broke the nose of his forged crank off running a belt to tight at the track. It was sliping so he tightened it...next run...boom

Check with Procharger on this for the F1a.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Is this a brand new belt?

Personally, I didn't use the 12-rib belt that came with my D1sc -- it was too tight as well. I went out and bought two 6-ribs that were slightly longer. That's all I've ever run.

As already stated, too much tension can cause problems, but it'll end up being pretty tight when tensioned properly. I'd have to dig out my manual, but I believe the instructions say to tighten enough so that you can barely "twist" the belt more than a fraction of an inch (iirc, 1/4"~3/8" or something) in either direction. Kinda subjective.

FYI -- the factory Procharger tensioner sucks *****. I upgraded mine with one I researched from Autozone, but it took some creativity and machining (I think some companies charge $500 to do this, I did it for $47). Also upgraded the tensioner's bearings -- factory ones were barely adequate. I can elaborate if you wish.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

assuming OP has a tensioner installed...there should be enough motion in it to remove belt. If belt is so tight tensioner is maxed out to its full extent...sounds like belt is to small
Old 12-10-2013, 04:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The belt sounds too small if you have to remove a pulley to take off the belt. Someone may have had slipping issues and tried a smaller belt to avoid this. Use the right belt and make sure the pullies are aligned perfectly. I have been running the belt that came with my kit and have zero issues. Regarding belt tightness, it should be pretty tight but you should be able to flex it maybe an 1/8" by hand. Are you running a larger crank hub? If not, you should be.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Alex94TAGT
Is this a brand new belt? Personally, I didn't use the 12-rib belt that came with my D1sc -- it was too tight as well. I went out and bought two 6-ribs that were slightly longer. That's all I've ever run. As already stated, too much tension can cause problems, but it'll end up being pretty tight when tensioned properly. I'd have to dig out my manual, but I believe the instructions say to tighten enough so that you can barely "twist" the belt more than a fraction of an inch (iirc, 1/4"~3/8" or something) in either direction. Kinda subjective. FYI -- the factory Procharger tensioner sucks *****. I upgraded mine with one I researched from Autozone, but it took some creativity and machining (I think some companies charge $500 to do this, I did it for $47). Also upgraded the tensioner's bearings -- factory ones were barely adequate. I can elaborate if you wish.
Yeah I was thinking it was too small. No idea if the crank pulley is larger than normal?. Just wanted to know if it was normal as I have no experience with prochargers. The pulleys are lined up perfectly. Going to call procharger tomorrow. Why do you run 2 6rib belts instead of the one 12 rib? What kind of setup of the tensioner did you use/ make?. I want to make the car as reliable as possible because I will take this car across the country. Thanks for all your inputs.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

I could write a few novels here. I'll try to keep it short.

Originally Posted by 94camaroboosted
No idea if the crank pulley is larger than normal?
My crank pulley is 7.65" -- I'd venture that's what you have as well.

Why do you run 2 6rib belts instead of the one 12 rib?
Because I can. 6-rib belts are considerably cheaper, and available everywhere in almost any length. Convenient. I know at least a few other guys who do this as well. Might even help prevent thrown belts if the bracket flexes too much, as two belts would be more flexible laterally than a single belt.

12-rib belts are hard to find, and can be ridiculously expensive. I think Procharger wanted like $90 last I checked. I think you can get them from NAPA for about half the price of ordering direct from Procharger.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

What kind of setup of the tensioner did you use/ make?.
After sorting through hundreds of tensioners online at Autozone, I decided on a Duralast 305202 tensioner. It has about 60º of spring-loaded travel in a single direction. The procharger arm has about 30º of tension in either direction from a center unloaded position (which I think allows the arm to be used in multiple applications = universal application, but poorer functionality). If you saw how much these belts flex at WOT, you'd realize why more travel is better.

Photo #1: Side-by-Side (Procharger Left, Duralast 305202 Right)
F1a procharger belt-yte2jm.jpg

Photo #2: Pulley Mounting Surfaces (Procharger Left, Duralast 305202 Right)
Pretty obvious that the Duralast requires machining of the pulley mounting surface to make it match the height of the Procharger arm.
F1a procharger belt-1btfdm.jpg

Photo #3: Blue arrow shows where I clearanced the new Duralast arm to sit within the stock Procharger bracket's circular tensioner arm location.
F1a procharger belt-25arzm.jpg

Photo #4: Back side of both tensioners (Duralast left, Procharger Right).
Note the locations of the screw holes -- I put a triangle around the bolt hole used by the Procharger arm. I had to drill and tap a hole to match on the Duralast. Also, I don't have a photo of it, but I had to enlarge the little half-moon cutout on the supercharger mounting bracket -- that was the trickiest part, but it allows me to retain the Procharger's tensioning mechanism, which works great.
F1a procharger belt-lgiw9m.jpg

Photo #5/#6: Don't really have a good photo, but this is what the final thing looks like when all aforementioned issues are modified. Not something I'd recommend doing unless you are mechanically skilled, but it works well:
F1a procharger belt-tjxgvm.jpg

F1a procharger belt-hdbcym.jpg
Old 12-10-2013, 08:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

I want to make the car as reliable as possible because I will take this car across the country.
I'd have to know all of the details of your car in order to make specific recommendations, but I have a ton of ideas, because I did the same with my car -- tried to make it as bulletproof as I can.

I originally typed out a whole bunch of things here, but I really need to get going, and I'm trying to work on not being so OCD with posts. This is already bad enough -- I need to stay off of here.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:18 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Alex94TAGT
I'd have to know all of the details of your car in order to make specific recommendations, but I have a ton of ideas, because I did the same with my car -- tried to make it as bulletproof as I can. I originally typed out a whole bunch of things here, but I really need to get going, and I'm trying to work on not being so OCD with posts. This is already bad enough -- I need to stay off of here.
Wow thanks for all the detail and info. I am going to try the dual 6rib belts. In the spring I will try to do the tensioner upgrade as I do not have a heated shop to work in. Sounds like a good plan.

My camaro has a 383 built by ellwein enginesz
- forged calies crank
-h forged connection rods
-Ross custom pistons
-Advanced induction ported 215cc trick flow lt1 heads
-Ported lt1 Intake
-jesel shaft rockers
-Ai billet hyd roller camshaft
Chassis
-umi tubular suspension
-umi sub frame connectors
-umi transmeber
- the rest is stock
Drivetrain
-moiser 12bolt rear end with 3:73 gears and eaton posi
-local sorced drive shft good tell 1000hp
-4l60e built to 650 hp by local builder.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:03 AM
TECH Addict

Sounds like a stout combo. I feel bad for that 4L60e.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:22 PM
Teching In

Going to change it to a 4l80e until the get the funds to do so. Just picked up the car a month ago.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:37 PM
TECH Addict

Which build # are you on Ellwein's site?
Old 12-11-2013, 05:11 PM
Teching In

Number 15.

Quick Reply: F1a procharger belt