LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

How do you stop false knock or prevent it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you stop false knock or prevent it?

I have a 94 z28 lt1 383.Its got cam,headers,roller rockers,fully ported lt1 heads.I cant find a LT4 knock module so im facing the fact that the car may never get one.With that being the case,How do I stop or prevent false knock?Im about to break the engine in a few days from now so im trying to make sure that all the HP is where it should be.No false spark retard.Thanks
Old 07-03-2014, 05:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had the tune in mine changed so it couldn't pull timing. I checked and checked and rechecked everything. Ran high octane fuel in. Checked the rockers numerous times,
Would still pull timing and register knock so I tuned it out
Old 07-03-2014, 05:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I know the feeling. I'm chasing mine too. Got it almost all gone now. Just have to find all the spots that vibrate and cause false knock. My Y-pipe would vibrate against my cross-member, fixed that. But my drivers side header will occasionally hit the motor mount. Ugh.

I too tuned knock retard to zero after ensuring absolutely no real knock is happening.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:55 PM
TECH Resident

this seems a common w/ lt1's. I have mine tuned out also. I've heard ( not sure I buy into it but this is what I was told) that with the thin metal of headers compared to stock manifolds that the traveling gas sound that is omitted from the pipes will cause false knock. This guy wrapped his pipes and according to him it went away. idk but that's what was told to me. I'm not about to wrap my headers b/c of that one.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pancho toco loco
this seems a common w/ lt1's. I have mine tuned out also. I've heard ( not sure I buy into it but this is what I was told) that with the thin metal of headers compared to stock manifolds that the traveling gas sound that is omitted from the pipes will cause false knock. This guy wrapped his pipes and according to him it went away. idk but that's what was told to me. I'm not about to wrap my headers b/c of that one.
I can see the headers mimicking the sound of knock to the knock sensor from vibrations (not exhaust gases) and the header wrap acting like a sound deadening material to stop or change the vibration frequencies.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

I tuned mine out, always got knock retard in 3d gear at 4200rpm. No other gear. Ran high octane, lowered spark advance to be sure. Still got it so no biggy
Old 07-04-2014, 03:58 AM
Launching!

Just tune your knock sensor out. Carb cars have been runnin no ks for years. If your motors gonna blow youll know haha
Old 07-04-2014, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by 97lt1camaro
I had the tune in mine changed so it couldn't pull timing. I checked and checked and rechecked everything. Ran high octane fuel in. Checked the rockers numerous times,
Would still pull timing and register knock so I tuned it out
Solomon Kostelnik tuned it for me.I still got 1 tune left.I think ill let him tune it out like you say.Looks like the only option.Maybe I can at least make the spark retard minimal when it does get knock.False or not.Thanks man.
Old 07-04-2014, 01:11 PM

Thanks guys I think ill just tune it out.

Quick Reply: How do you stop false knock or prevent it?