LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Stubborn pan gasket leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 07:52 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stubborn pan gasket leak

I have a 95 camaro z28 auto. I took it on a semi-hard drive and parked it, next morning trans fluids everywhere,I put in a new gasket, as the old one seemed to be leaking on the passenger front, now the new gasket seems to leak the same if not worse. It idled for about 15 min and seemed fine, drove it around the block, parked it, 5 mins later all of a sudden the leak starts again. Its only on the passenger side, I'm not sure what to do, its like the gasket did nothing and I'm not sure where else it could leak from all the way along the passenger side.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:59 AM
Teching In

Oops wrong section, or not, mobile sucks
Old 07-15-2014, 10:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

The flange on your pan might be deformed. It is common to ruin a trans pan by over-tightening the bolts.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

^^^^^, you can take the pan off, place on FLAT surface and use a small hammer to tap each hole flat again
Old 07-15-2014, 02:33 PM
Teching In

Everything was straight when it was off it looked like, I gave in and used some black rtv And a new gasket like a few people told me to do, only tightened hand tight so it can dry good, hopefully this solves my problem.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a thought but make sure its not coming out of the vent on top of the transmission and running down.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:36 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandon Franke
Oops wrong section, or not, mobile sucks
No worries, you have a LT1 so....

Get the Victor Reinz Tuff-Cork pan gasket, part number W39365TC.

It's a cork gasket bonded to a steel core. It'll never squeeze out. I keep like five hanging in the shop. That and a light coat of Permatex High Tac (NOT SILICONE) and you'll be good to go.

Old 07-15-2014, 04:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My $0.02 worth...and this is based on 40 years of experience.

When removing the tranny pan, 99.9% of us remove the bolts, and as we do this, tranny fluid dumps out all over the place, because the fluid level is actually above the pan flange. What happens, is some of the fluid backs up into the bolt holes, and unless you blow out those holes with compressed air, this fluid will be forced back out by installing the bolts. This, in turn, will soak the gasket before it's compressed between the pan and tranny body, hence it will leak. Been there....

Another option, if this job is something that you're going to do on a regular basis, go to a marine supply store, and purchase one of the suction tools that's used to change the oil on a boat. You can suck up most of the tranny oil through the dipstick tube, so when you drop the pan, all you'll get is some drippage from the parts that are submerged in fluid, rather than the gushing torrent from a full transmission. This is now how I do this job, and can't believe it took me SO long to think of this.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:54 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

I go one step even easier then that: Mr. Gasket 4470:

Old 07-15-2014, 05:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the leak is on the passenger side, make sure its not leaking from the dipstick tube seal and dripping off the pan. I have seen that many times in my career.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:56 PM
Teching In

Well, the new gasket leaks. Its always a minute or two after shutdown. It was making slooshing noises after it was shutdown From underneath which I thought was weird but wasn't leaking, Until a minute or two later guess I'm gonna have to try and get it on a lift or something to make sure it was the gasket leaking.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandon Franke
Well, the new gasket leaks. Its always a minute or two after shutdown. It was making slooshing noises after it was shutdown From underneath which I thought was weird but wasn't leaking, Until a minute or two later guess I'm gonna have to try and get it on a lift or something to make sure it was the gasket leaking.
Before installing the new gasket, did you make sure that all the bolt holes in the tranny case were free of tranny fluid? Did you blow them out with compressed air, or wipe them out with a few Q-tips?

Quick Reply: Stubborn pan gasket leak