LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

96 Z28 396 Stroker, transferring to 95 Camaro: Update.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 09:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 96 Z28 396 Stroker, transferring to 95 Camaro: Update.

Also opened up the chassis above the Fuel Tank, in order to have access for the Fuel Pump. I don't mind telling ya that I was hesitant to cut metal above a gas tank, but I picked up a pneumatic scissor and it could not have been easier.

Now... does anyone know of a better in-tank fuel pump than the Granitelli or the Walbro?

I looked at Aeromotive, but it doesn't seem to be a plug and play and I'm don't have a ton of time and I'm hoping to get her up and running for FL2K coming up in October. If it's as easy as pulling power straight from the Alternator, that's not a problem, I just can't find any info on it and if someone's got some experience with 'em, I'd sure appreciate some guidance.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You can run the aeromotive 340 stealth pump which is similar size to the 255 but higher output.

Lonnies makes a harness/bulkhead connector for our cars for it, since the pump draws more current and has been known to burn out or melt the bulkhead or wiring...NOT GOOD for something right next to the fuel vapors!

Probably what I will run on my car unless something new comes out in the million years before its done.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Racetronix makes upgraded bulkhead wiring as well. I run that along with a hotwire kit to my 340.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:27 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Lookin good ova!
Old 09-15-2014, 11:34 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by OVA1
Also opened up the chassis above the Fuel Tank, in order to have access for the Fuel Pump. I don't mind telling ya that I was hesitant to cut metal above a gas tank, but I picked up a pneumatic scissor and it could not have been easier.

Now... does anyone know of a better in-tank fuel pump than the Granitelli or the Walbro?
Maybe I'm out of touch, but what wrong with running either one of those pumps?
Also, tin snips make quick work out of cutting the fuel door.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:34 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks to all of you for the input.

I went to Tractor Supply and picked up a pneumatic scissor... drilled holes on four corners and in MAYBE a total of 15 minutes had a second class opening over the fuel pump assembly.

I cant BELIEVE how easy it was; although I wish I had practiced on the old Z first, as I'd have done a better job... but other than that, it's wide open and I'll weld up a nice hatch over it to seal it up.

SO... since I can change pumps with practically no effort now, I went ahead and ordered up the Racetronix Kit which wires fuel pump power directly to the alternator and the 255lph that comes with that kit.

I like the Aeromotive pump; all th stats clearly show it the most efficient pump in the in-tank game, but I need to learn more about it, and I think this will work fine for the foreseeable future.

Thanks again for all the information and advice.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by OVA1
Thanks to all of you for the input.

I went to Tractor Supply and picked up a pneumatic scissor... drilled holes on four corners and in MAYBE a total of 15 minutes had a second class opening over the fuel pump assembly.

I cant BELIEVE how easy it was; although I wish I had practiced on the old Z first, as I'd have done a better job... but other than that, it's wide open and I'll weld up a nice hatch over it to seal it up.

SO... since I can change pumps with practically no effort now, I went ahead and ordered up the Racetronix Kit which wires fuel pump power directly to the alternator and the 255lph that comes with that kit.

I like the Aeromotive pump; all th stats clearly show it the most efficient pump in the in-tank game, but I need to learn more about it, and I think this will work fine for the foreseeable future.

Thanks again for all the information and advice.
That is the kit I ran along with their hotwire harness to the alternator, I liked it a lot. Came with EVERYTHING, even the little pins to depin the stock connectors and the epoxy to reseal the tank .

Easy install with great instructions. I also used automatic snips and was amazed at how fast the job went from parking the car to firing it up.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:23 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Maybe I'm out of touch, but what wrong with running either one of those pumps?
Also, tin snips make quick work out of cutting the fuel door.
Originally Posted by Puck
That is the kit I ran along with their hotwire harness to the alternator, I liked it a lot. Came with EVERYTHING, even the little pins to depin the stock connectors and the epoxy to reseal the tank .

Easy install with great instructions. I also used automatic snips and was amazed at how fast the job went from parking the car to firing it up.
That's good news, Puckster, I am looking forward to it.

Yes, those snips are amazing! If I never use them again, the $99 purchase price was well worth not using a high-speed grinding wheel, to generate massive amounts of sparks directly above the gas tank.

(But I will use them again... what a great little tool.)

Last edited by OVA1; 09-15-2014 at 08:34 PM.

Quick Reply: 96 Z28 396 Stroker, transferring to 95 Camaro: Update.