LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Aluminum Flywheel with Mcleod Street Twin?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 08:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Aluminum Flywheel with Mcleod Street Twin?

I found a Street Twin for a good price, but it has the Aluminum flywheel. I have heard in the past, that aluminum flywheels make street driving more difficult. Does anybody have experience with the street twin with aluminum flywheel?
Old 01-30-2015, 09:03 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

If the flywheel that comes with it has been used with the clutch then IMO I don't think it would be a good idea to change out a flywheel that has already been seated to that clutch. My brother-in-law works on 3.8L Super Coupes extensively and has said he hasn't really seen an issue with either street use or 60' times at the track using an aluminum flywheel, and those cars are heavier than a 4th gen. With as much torque as you make I wouldn't sweat it. Hopefully both clutch and flywheel surfaces are in good condition.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

It is all brand new, I just did not want to shell out the money and make my car miserable on the street. I planned on buying a new with a steel flywheel but then found this one for a few hundred dollars cheaper than the steel one.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:19 AM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I've had probably 6 different Street Twin setups in my cars over the years. Both aluminum and steel flywheel versions.

If you want my honest opinion, I prefer the steel flywheel ST over the aluminum one for both street and track driving.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

post 4 has more experience than I on using both and seems to answer your ? .

FWIW I chose, and glad I did, steel for my twin (BTW one great clutch)

I think if auto x was the primary use intent than the aluminum would be better but for street and especially 1/4 mi, steel IMHO
Old 01-30-2015, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm using a Fidanza flywheel with a Street Pro and it feels great.
Old 01-31-2015, 07:11 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

I inquired into this a little more with my brother-in-law and he stated the best 60' he has witnessed from a SC was a 1.59 with a 3700lb race weight. However he does say it will be different with the SC because of the rotational mass of a roots blower will help reduce inertia, so yeah it's probably best to stick with a steel flywheel if you are into drag racing. And to help make it sound like the village troll isn't referencing "Clyde from down by the river..." This is his business:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Super...07270676099734
Old 01-31-2015, 08:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, I guess I better stick with the steel flywheel. It will actually cost me a couple hundred dollars more than this aluminum flywheel kit but oh well. What is another couple hundred dollars in this game lol.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:09 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A street twin weighs more than a stock clutch Assy. I have a stock type clutch with a billet steel FW that weighs 4 lbs more than the stock one. The engine runs smoother at a lower rpm than with the stock FW and the engine acts like it has more torque at the track. I say this because even the twin with a aluminum FW will be heavier and have these characteristics. How much more does a steel FW add to the total?
Old 01-31-2015, 11:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

I was thinking along those lines as well, that is why I was hoping to hear from someone that had an aluminum flywheel in a street twin. I thought the extra disk and the extra plate for the other disc might add enough weight to outweigh the weight savings form the aluminum flywheel.

It seems to me that the street twin with an aluminum flywheel would be still be close to the same as a single disc with a steel flywheel.

Quick Reply: Aluminum Flywheel with Mcleod Street Twin?