LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

95 LT1 24X Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 LT1 24X Conversion

I have a 95 Pontiac Trans Am with a LT1. I currently have decided that I am sick of the optispark issues that I am having and decided to switch to the EFI Connection 24x conversion with LS1 pcm. The question I have is I am decideing weather to buy the efi connection harness or use the psi wiring harness. I know that the efi connection harness is plug and play to the car and the psi harness requires some wiring for gauges, starter, power, and ect. Looking for some insight on what other users preferences are. Any info would be help full. Thanks
Old 03-05-2015, 01:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

I went with BP Automotive. The harness and his 24x knowledge was very impressive!
Old 03-05-2015, 04:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you are so incompetent you can't get the opti to work what makes you think you can handle a modification this complicated?
Old 03-05-2015, 06:06 AM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
If you are so incompetent you can't get the opti to work what makes you think you can handle a modification this complicated?
WTF?

What makes you think that his issues with an optispark are due to something he did wrong?
Old 03-05-2015, 07:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I know I changed from the Opti because of the tuning aspect. You can get much more out of the car from tuning than the Opti. With that being said, I would go with BP automotive harness. Plug and play, all labeled and good quality stuff. Waiting on mine to be shipped now!
Old 03-05-2015, 10:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

If you have the ability, you can save money by getting the DIY harness from BP Automotive. Thats why I did, saves a lot of money.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:28 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SwampWS6
Well I know I changed from the Opti because of the tuning aspect. You can get much more out of the car from tuning than the Opti. With that being said, I would go with BP automotive harness. Plug and play, all labeled and good quality stuff. Waiting on mine to be shipped now!
The ability to run a good 2or3-BAR MAP with good resolution and such is a much more valid reason to look at the conversion than an inability to deal cope with a basic distributor.

This guy states it is "opti issues" which more often than not come down to neglect and incompetence of the owner especially on stock or mildly modified cars.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:30 AM
Launching!

Man wtf...
Old 03-06-2015, 08:59 AM
11 Second Club

To the original poster, please tell us what is done to the car and what problems you have had.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:33 PM
TECH Regular

Sadly I have to agree. It's a cap and rotor distributor that needs to be changed once in a while just like a conventional sbc . Myself and a buddy both have had oem delcos on ours. 6800 rpm shifts and both of us have been running them for 10 years now with zero issues. Keep the fresh air line clean .

Yes it's In a shitty spot, but is an extremely precise ignition and people's lack of skills in diagnosing a cars condition ultimately ends up in the opti being blamed . .. These cars are 20 years old and are going to have issues with a harness wire cut, corroded , etc.

Fact. you will pick up NO horse power going 24 x... if the afr and timing remain the same threw out the pull how do you figure it's going to make more power? Maybe mystical unicorn In the ls1 pcm lol
Old 03-06-2015, 10:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly... I'd replace the whole opti. MSD if you want. All though From what I've heard the MSD isn't really that much better. With the time and money you'd have involved with the 24x conversion (fairly hard modification) IMHO I would just replace the opti. Fairly straight forward job. Just take your time and do things right the first time.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:54 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

The MSD is probably much more failure prone than an OEM replacement, and aside from venting on the 92-94 doesn't really offer any improvements in comparison. I also don't think that MSD uses the Mitsubishi optical sensor, which seems to be critically important. I think AC/Delco optis are all remanufactured now, unless you happen to run across new old stock somewhere, in which case you would probably be buying from a dealer, and paying through the nose. I think Delphi optis are still being manufactured, but I'm not even certain about that.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:16 AM
On The Tree

wtf! People come here for for advice not to be ridiculed from a a-hole! If you are unable to be polite and lend some advice to this member get off! This is a community of fellow car lovers
Old 03-08-2015, 09:51 AM
11 Second Club

Yeah it is much more helpful to tell someone who can't diagnose and repair a presumably stock car that they should complicate and modify it so then they endup even deeper over their head and get discouraged right out of the hobby.

It is a sad sad day when common sense and truth even if unpleasant are considered terrible and we should blindly praise folks.

I have made plenty of bad choices and mistakes and value the input of those who set me straight more than those who would blindly praise anything.

Quick Reply: 95 LT1 24X Conversion