LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

improving engine performance

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 10:19 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default improving engine performance

Bought a 94 Z28 about a month ago. I want to begin to add components for performance. But, I want to make sure, the older parts under the hood can handle the upgrades.

I'm seeing I left a lot of detail off of my first post. Whoever had the car before the person I bought the car from, did some upgrades. There is a flow master exhaust system on the car. There is also a MSD ignition module attached to the car.

So far, I have replaced the fuel pump, water pump, ignition module, optispark, and it has a new transmission (well 1 year old). What are some other things I need to consider before I begin messing with the cold air intake and throttle body?

Last edited by memphisown80; 05-14-2015 at 11:04 AM.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by memphisown80
Bought a 94 Z28 about a month ago. I want to begin to add components for performance. But, I want to make sure, the older parts under the hood can handle the upgrades.

So far, I have replaced the fuel pump, water pump, ignition module, optispark, and it has a new transmission (well 1 year old). What are some other things I need to consider before I begin messing with the cold air intake and throttle body?
You could put on a CAI now, should not hurt anything. I would not mess with the throttle body unless you do some serious engine mods; you won't gain any significant HP at stock level. Maybe put a $25 air foil in it to gain a few CFM of airflow, or a high flow 1LE rubber bellow/JEGS elbow.

Plugs and wires would be a good thing to inspect/replace; hoses too.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:41 AM
Teching In

My father in law is a mechanic and has replaced the wires and plugs. He did all that while trying to figure out why it was shutting off on me. I read about the air foil TPIS (I believe) last night. The reviews on actual gains and performance were less than stellar. Basically saying its a waste of money.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:50 AM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

I was going to mention plugs/wires as well but I see that was covered. If you haven't already...I would replace the fuel filter and clean the MAF with a MAF cleaner spray. That should round out making sure the car is in optimal running shape.

As said above, the throttle body is waste of your $$$ at a stock power level, it's more than capable for a stock car...I would do the CAI and then consider full exhaust and a tune if you want some basic good bang for the buck mods that you will see some real gains from.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:02 AM
Teching In

I'm seeing I left a lot of detail off of my first post. Whoever had the car before the person I bought the car from, did some upgrades. There is a flow master exhaust system on the car. There is also a MSD ignition module attached to the car.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:04 AM
TECH Addict

My father in law is a mechanic and has replaced the wires and plugs. He did all that while trying to figure out why it was shutting off on me. I read about the air foil TPIS (I believe) last night. The reviews on actual gains and performance were less than stellar. Basically saying its a waste of money.
Same could be said of aftermarket throttle bodies on a stock LT1, complete waste of money and terrible idea.....what do you expect for $25? Buy some headers if you want real gains...

Oh yeah, flow master kinda sucks....sounds good though! It's well known to be the most restrictive exhaust system available; I would get headers first then ditch the flow master setup once you have funds for a good cat-back exhaust.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:08 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ahritchie
Same could be said of aftermarket throttle bodies on a stock LT1, complete waste of money and terrible idea.....what do you expect for $25? Buy some headers if you want real gains...
I guess my question should be this. What order of performance upgrades should be used?
Old 05-14-2015, 11:20 AM
TECH Addict

I guess my question should be this. What order of performance upgrades should be used?
Start with the CAI intake, then do headers, exhaust, PCM tune. Those are the top mods to get the most HP per dollar (and nitrous ).

The little things like airfoils, 160 thermostat, Throttle body coolant bypass, electric WP, high flow intake elbows, can be added anytime without affecting anything significantly.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

longtube headers, off road y-pipe (depending on emissions restrictions in your state), quality catback, CAI, and a tune would be a good place to start. then i would look into gears and/or stall depending if you have a manual or auto car
Old 05-14-2015, 12:35 PM
Teching In

Thanks all.

Quick Reply: improving engine performance