LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Fuel pump not working

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 06:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Fuel pump not working

I bought a new Delphi fuel pump assembly for my 1995 Camaro Z28 because the one in the car was bad. I installed it and it didn't work and I could not hear it turn on. I verified that there was no fuel pressure. So I was going to return it thinking it was defective but decided to test it on a parts car. It turned out it works fine.

I have swapped the relay under the driver side kick panel and ran 12 volts to fuel pump prime connector next to PCM and the fuel pump still didn't turn on. I also checked the wiring running from the pump assembly and everything looked look. So what else could there be preventing the fuel pump from turning on. Only thing left that I can think of is the Viper alarm system on the car. The engine cranks so I didn't think the alarm system could be an issue.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've always been told that any aftermarket alarm system or remote start system could possibly cause no start conditions. Since your pump isn't even turning on but it will in another car sounds like how VATS treats fuel pumps. So maybe this alarm system is causing your fuel pump not to turn on like how VATS can do the same. BTW I'm not saying VATS is the issue, I'm saying the alarm system could be just to be clear lol
Hope others can chime in as well!
Old 03-21-2017, 08:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vats will still allow the pump to prime, it only cuts power to injectors, or starter. Have you checked all your fuses?
Old 03-22-2017, 10:24 AM
On The Tree

I was thinking the alarm system could be the problem but wanted to rule everything else out first. Looks like alot of work to remove all the wires and stuff for the alarm system under the dash. I have looked through some of the fuses. Is there a specific fuse for the fuel pump. Shouldn't the fuel pump prime connector next to PCM turn on the fuel pump. I can't figure out why it didn't turn on when I ran 12 volts to that connector.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:41 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by KyleW707
Vats will still allow the pump to prime, it only cuts power to injectors, or starter. Have you checked all your fuses?
Oh ok lol it's been forever ago when VATS was a problem on my car. I have it bypasses now.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:04 PM
Staging Lane

I had an issue with the fuel pump shutting off and not priming. It ended being the ground wire that's next to the drivers side rear tire. The wire looked fine, but was corroded inside. Might be something to check.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would go back and check all electrical connections starting at the pump inside tank. I know its a pita to drop the tank again, unless you did the fuel tank mod. GL
Old 03-22-2017, 07:21 PM
On The Tree

I cut the area in the trunk when installing the fuel pump. I checked the wires on the fuel pump harness the best I could as there was some places I couldn't pull the wires out of the plastic covering them. I will recheck that ground wire. I suppose I could swap the fuel pump wire harness from the other car on there and see if the fuel pump turns on then.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:05 PM
On The Tree

I hooked up the fuel pump wire harness from another car with the new fuel pump and the fuel pump turned on. So I know its the fuel pump wire harness that was bad. I was inspecting the fuel pump wiring and saw where one connector was bad. So I swapped the little wire connectors that plugs into the fuel pump.

I reinstalled the fuel pump and went to start the car and nothing, fuel pump is not priming. At this point I am ready to push the car off a cliff as this is the 3rd or 4th time I have taken the fuel pump out of the tank. Doesn't make sense, the main wires that go to the top of the fuel pump assembly must be bad even though there was no sign of damage on any wires. Hopefully after I swap the entire fuel pump assembly the fuel pump will work.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you had bad wiring you could have fried the relay
Old 03-29-2017, 07:50 PM
On The Tree

The relay is good, I had swapped another one on there to make sure it wasn't bad.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:03 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast350Z
I hooked up the fuel pump wire harness from another car with the new fuel pump and the fuel pump turned on. So I know its the fuel pump wire harness that was bad. I was inspecting the fuel pump wiring and saw where one connector was bad. So I swapped the little wire connectors that plugs into the fuel pump.

I reinstalled the fuel pump and went to start the car and nothing, fuel pump is not priming. At this point I am ready to push the car off a cliff as this is the 3rd or 4th time I have taken the fuel pump out of the tank. Doesn't make sense, the main wires that go to the top of the fuel pump assembly must be bad even though there was no sign of damage on any wires. Hopefully after I swap the entire fuel pump assembly the fuel pump will work.
Did you verify voltage at all of the different points from the fuel pump relay to the fuel pump harness above the rear end? When I had a dead pump years ago I checked for power at the fuel pump relay connector, and then again at the harness connector going to the fuel pump. Did you verify continuity in the harness before you installed it? Maybe there's a break in the wiring somewhere you can't see from the outside?
Old 04-01-2017, 12:22 PM
On The Tree

After swapping the fuel pump assembly the fuel pump primes and car started. So I guess even if one wire connector is bad you have to replace the entire assembly. At first the fuel gauge was pegged past full but then went back to normal. Not sure why it did that.
Old 04-01-2017, 04:05 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast350Z
After swapping the fuel pump assembly the fuel pump primes and car started. So I guess even if one wire connector is bad you have to replace the entire assembly. At first the fuel gauge was pegged past full but then went back to normal. Not sure why it did that.
My Camaro's fuel pump just died too, and the fuel gauge did the same thing: peg to full. Maybe that's the offical sign theyr'e dead lol...

Quick Reply: Fuel pump not working