LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

lt4 heads- lt1 intake

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 09:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lt4 heads- lt1 intake

is it true what i hear that the stock lt1 intake manifold will not fit lt4 heads? if so what can i do to make it fit?
Old 04-14-2006, 09:31 PM
Launching!

it will not fit, u will have to have it machined to fit the heads. waste of time, just get a lt4 intake or wait for edelbrocks lt4 intake.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:34 PM
Staging Lane

i cant find an lt4 intake i have been looking.when is edelbrocks coming out?
Old 04-14-2006, 09:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I think you can make the LT1 intake work if youy have some material welded in on top of the ports and machine things flat again. This material would be part for sealing and could also allow you to open the port up to match the heads better. The LT4 intake has the same runners as the LT1 intake it just has more material above the port like I am telling you to add. That is right the LT4 intake ports are much smaller than the ports in the heads and they need porting to come even close to the size of the head ports.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:11 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
I think you can make the LT1 intake work if youy have some material welded in on top of the ports and machine things flat again. This material would be part for sealing and could also allow you to open the port up to match the heads better. The LT4 intake has the same runners as the LT1 intake it just has more material above the port like I am telling you to add. That is right the LT4 intake ports are much smaller than the ports in the heads and they need porting to come even close to the size of the head ports.
would just about any porting place know how to do this becouse i need something done i cant finish the car without it.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:12 PM
Staging Lane

lt1 guys dont have many options.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:26 AM
11 Second Club

Thing is everyone and their broth jumped on the LT4 bandwagon without having a clue what they were doing and then people ASSumed the LT4 intake was an upgrade for the LT1 so a lot got that material above the port you know the ONLY thing that had potential to make it an upgrade milled off so they would fit LT1 heads.

Any engine shop with an aluminum welder or who works with someone who has one can do this for you.

Your blindly throwing money at this project is coming back to haunt you, had you just ported the LT1 castings and intake you would be further anhead and spent less money than all the LT4 then AFR and now the intake is unavailable.................................. We all make mistake just please admit you made a lot this time so your next build is better researched I hate to see people hemmorage money like this then end up with less than wonderful results.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

96 you seem to assume a lot, maybe he got a smoking deal or bought stuff as a package. I do agree that you should plan your build and research before doing it but we do not know his story.
Old 04-15-2006, 10:15 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 97blkz
96 you seem to assume a lot, maybe he got a smoking deal or bought stuff as a package. I do agree that you should plan your build and research before doing it but we do not know his story.
i got everthing for 1800 bucks the heads ,hotcam kit and all the gaskets.
Old 04-15-2006, 10:16 AM
Launching!

u could get more power for cheaper out of lt1 heads/intake and a diff cam.
Old 04-15-2006, 10:21 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by V8pwrdz28
u could get more power for cheaper out of lt1 heads/intake and a diff cam.
i was thinking about going that way it seems to be easyer.
Old 04-15-2006, 05:21 PM
TECH Resident

Thing is everyone and their broth jumped on the LT4 bandwagon without having a clue what they were doing and then people ASSumed the LT4 intake was an upgrade for the LT1 so a lot got that material above the port you know the ONLY thing that had potential to make it an upgrade milled off so they would fit LT1 heads.

Any engine shop with an aluminum welder or who works with someone who has one can do this for you.

Your blindly throwing money at this project is coming back to haunt you, had you just ported the LT1 castings and intake you would be further anhead and spent less money than all the LT4 then AFR and now the intake is unavailable.................................. We all make mistake just please admit you made a lot this time so your next build is better researched I hate to see people hemmorage money like this then end up with less than wonderful results.

Who the **** are you?

..Just wait til the 'Brock LT4 intake comes out bro...should be summer some time.
Old 04-15-2006, 07:08 PM
11 Second Club

I am one of the few who actually does research.

You are apparently one of the masses who ASSume everything the aftermarket put out is good. Edelbrock listed in it's catalog an LT1 intake back in the mid 90s and never delivered, a couple years ago when they finally delivered heads they were a joke they need grinder work at the factory to flow just 16cfm more than as cast stockers(wonder what the stockers would do with equal grinder work). Edelbrock timing it looking again to release an intake shows they are trying to capitolize on the LT4 intake being discontinued as such they don't need to make it an upgrade, if it fits that is all the ignorant masses will care about, they are too stupid to even want to verify wether it is an upgrade.

So were you disagreeing with me on some particular point? I would gladly educate you on the subject let's start here https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-modifications/432878-different-lt1-intakes.html
Old 04-15-2006, 08:10 PM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

I am one of the few who actually does research.

You are apparently one of the masses who ASSume everything the aftermarket put out is good. Edelbrock listed in it's catalog an LT1 intake back in the mid 90s and never delivered, a couple years ago when they finally delivered heads they were a joke they need grinder work at the factory to flow just 16cfm more than as cast stockers(wonder what the stockers would do with equal grinder work). Edelbrock timing it looking again to release an intake shows they are trying to capitolize on the LT4 intake being discontinued as such they don't need to make it an upgrade, if it fits that is all the ignorant masses will care about, they are too stupid to even want to verify wether it is an upgrade.

So were you disagreeing with me on some particular point? I would gladly educate you on the subject let's start here https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=432878
who cares if it is a upgrade or not... LT4 heads are better than LT1 heads (we are talking as in everything avaible... not jsut factory..).

I dont care if hte Brock LT4 intake is a "upgrade" or not as long as i can buy something affordable to use one LT4 heads
Old 04-15-2006, 08:32 PM
TECH Resident

So were you disagreeing with me on some particular point? I would gladly educate you on the subject let's start here https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=432878
No, i was saying you are a dick...there is no need to be condisending to his question...it's people like you drive people away from forums like these...people are afraid to ask a question with fear of being talked down to like you do.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:39 PM
TECH Resident

And i'll make sure i ASSK you next time i buy something for my car. You're Caps Lock button seems to get stuck when you type assume...might want to get that looked out. I'm sure there are plenty of aftermarket keyboards that you could buy.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Stock for stock the LT4 heads BLOW the LT1 heads away. LS1 heads BLOW LT4 heads away and so forth...facts.

Yes you can simpley take an LT1 intake and for under $100 have it converted to an LT4. I have had a few done already Even before they went out of site I was buying LT1 intakes dirt cheap and converting them to save money Enough so that we take LT1 intakes and improve them even further now!

96 is pushy at times but he usualy has good info.
Old 04-15-2006, 11:30 PM
11 Second Club

I get this often those who have a clue support my facts but maybe disapprove of my lack of tact. Those who don't know jack try to argue with me.
When mistakes are made they need to be admitted otherwise the next guy sees something posted and thinks it was a good idea. I have made many mistake and freely share them to save others the hassle and expense THAT is how these forums actually work. Many people don't know when they tuely have success for instance a local has TPIS AFRs A TPIS cam in an LT1 in a third gen, goes no faster than my cam only stock headed whale. He still went and bought more from TPIS and went stroker for this season with those same crappy heads and another TPIS cam. Maybe this year when my heads/cam car keeps pace with his stoker he will see what mistake he keeps repeating.
Old 04-16-2006, 07:51 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv

Yes you can simpley take an LT1 intake and for under $100 have it converted to an LT4. I have had a few done already Even before they went out of site I was buying LT1 intakes dirt cheap and converting them to save money Enough so that we take LT1 intakes and improve them even further now!
ware did you take your intakes to get done?
Old 04-16-2006, 10:13 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two, I thought it cosy a lot more to convert good info. Dam i woulda done my lt1 intake so I'd have less clues to what I have.

Quick Reply: lt4 heads- lt1 intake