LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Leaking oil at front seal.........

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 11:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Leaking oil at front seal.........

So I had these idiots do my water pump at canadian tire and they screw up this seal. Said it was leaking oil behind the water pump so they got new seals and such. They were "special" seals for the water pump shaft.

Here is the first link: https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-modifications/516496-need-help-water-pump-issue.html

Anyways I really needed to take my car home today. (detroit michigan) They said watch my oil level that it might still be dripping. Well I check under my car today and low and behold, oil under my car. Now what do I need to do that they didn't.

http://shbox.com/ci/water_pump.jpg

There is a good picture of the seals that go in each side of teh shaft (at the top of the picture)

How do I seat the seals properly and make sure it DOESN"T LEAK! I hope to god it doesn't cover my opti with oil and screw that up as well. And yes I know it's smart to get an opti and cap+rotor after a water pump is done.

Please Help. I don't think I have too long.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:33 PM
TECH Addict

the seals that go in the end of each shaft are more or less to prevent moisture from getting in there and rusting stuff up. The seal that's actually leaking oil seal in the timing cover. It's a teflon seal that must be installed dry. There's a special tool that needs to be used, but I do believe a socket or a sharpie marker cap can be used. It's hard to describe but you need one of the above because theres a lip the seal needs to go over, and if torn it will leak!!
Old 05-31-2006, 11:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks dude. I guess i'll be ripping off my water pump this weekend! Thank you. Any more insight?
Old 05-31-2006, 11:39 PM
TECH Addict

You can buy them from a GM parts vendor for pretty cheap. IIRC you can only get one from Felpro if you spend like $25 on that seal, the opti seal, and the crank seal....
Old 05-31-2006, 11:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Iirc?
Old 05-31-2006, 11:43 PM
TECH Addict

If I recall Correctly = IIRC
Old 05-31-2006, 11:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Gotcha. Good man. I will look into it tommorow and hopefully do it this weekend!
Old 06-01-2006, 09:46 AM
TECH Veteran

I told ya man you gotta go to the dealer and get the tools. I did not try the socket or Sharpie lid but the dealer tools I borrowed worked like a charm. I put the seal on the sleeve first so I could verify the lips were ok and turned correctly. Then I put the sleeve over the shaft and slid the seal back with my fingers. In the toolkit there was a seal "press." It fit over the seal and you tapped it with a hammer. The socket would be fine here too.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dhdenney
I told ya man you gotta go to the dealer and get the tools. I did not try the socket or Sharpie lid but the dealer tools I borrowed worked like a charm. I put the seal on the sleeve first so I could verify the lips were ok and turned correctly. Then I put the sleeve over the shaft and slid the seal back with my fingers. In the toolkit there was a seal "press." It fit over the seal and you tapped it with a hammer. The socket would be fine here too.
This is to fix the timing cover seal leak? I think the seals for the shaft for the water pump is fine. I just got done looking at it and I can see it's coming from above to opti cuz there is oil on top of the opti. GR. This better not screw up my opti.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Is it on top of the Timing cover at all? Could be the front of the Intake...
Old 06-01-2006, 12:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Yeah, the waterpump drive seal is more than likely your problem. I was getting an oil leak from above the opti and that was it. You see on the timing cover there are three seals. The crank seal, moving up is the opti seal, and the top one is the water pump drive seal. Your timing cover uses a gasket and is more than likely fine. External moving parts use seals and covers, etc use gaskets. The gaskets usually never pose a problem because they don't fit around anything, they are sandwiched between their parts. The seal is problematic because you have to make sure it's seated around that moving part correctly. Without looking at it I can't be 100% sure what your problem is but I'm 99.9% sure your leak is coming from the water pump drive seal. This was a terrible issue for me and I figured out how to fix it. If you plan on doing this yourself, go ahead and get your waterpump and opti off. I'm willing to bet you'll see the problem is the waterpump drive seal.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok. Do you have a part number I can get? Or can i reuse the seals? They are brand new, maybe they just weren't seated right?
Old 06-02-2006, 12:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

bump!
Old 06-02-2006, 12:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Did you get my PM with the Kent Moore number? I am fairly certain that's where the leak is.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a feeling the o rings are fine so i"m going ahead and picking up a water pump drive seal, which is the top seal on the timing chain cover. Hopefully that will stop the oil. I can't see how the o rings in the coupling drive shaft would help. Get back to me!

!Josh
Old 06-02-2006, 12:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Yeah the little o rings on the opti shaft aren't even installed on mine and mine doesn't leak any oil there.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I did. I got the PM. I picked up the water pump shaft seal, the two o rings, and a timing chain cover gasket. Hopefully the water pump seal will do it!
Old 06-02-2006, 03:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah but I wasn't talking about the o rings in the opti drive shaft, I was talking about the o rings for teh water pump drive shaft. I can't see how that can cause an oil leak!
Old 06-03-2006, 04:32 AM
Teching In

i want in on this tooooo! PM me w/ where to buy these 3 seals? my opti is sending a low res code and its brand new and im getting waaay 2 many problems from this... thanks!
Old 06-03-2006, 09:51 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Autozone has the seals. They have the whole Timing Cover Gasket Kit, has everything, like $20. I got it there when I did my Cam.

Quick Reply: Leaking oil at front seal.........