LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Need A Little Help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 10:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need A Little Help!!!!!

Ok here the story, I have a buddy that bought a car from a person on this website well the car is a 96 Trans Am the guy my buddy bought the car from put a new motor in it. Well, the car started running like crap so I checked the codes in it and they were Crank Position Out Of Range and there was another code about that sensor, so we go get a new sensor and start to put it in and there is no hole for the crank sensor so I look around a minute and find the wire that hooks to the sensor zip tied to the K-member. Then he calls the guy he bought the car from and asked a few questions and finds out that the bottom end of the motor is a 95 and it has a 96 intake on it. I don't know a lot about a LT1 so here is my questions, Is this possible and can we put a reluctor ring and a 96 timing cover on this motor? Sorry if this does not make any sense I tried to explain it the best I could.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:48 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by trucksleeper
Ok here the story, I have a buddy that bought a car from a person on this website well the car is a 96 Trans Am the guy my buddy bought the car from put a new motor in it. Well, the car started running like crap so I checked the codes in it and they were Crank Position Out Of Range and there was another code about that sensor, so we go get a new sensor and start to put it in and there is no hole for the crank sensor so I look around a minute and find the wire that hooks to the sensor zip tied to the K-member. Then he calls the guy he bought the car from and asked a few questions and finds out that the bottom end of the motor is a 95 and it has a 96 intake on it. I don't know a lot about a LT1 so here is my questions, Is this possible and can we put a reluctor ring and a 96 timing cover on this motor? Sorry if this does not make any sense I tried to explain it the best I could.
I might be wrong but am pretty sure the 96 & 97 w/ODB II had the CPS. I think you could be right and indeed do the reluctor ring, new cover, hook in the sensor, plug her back in and possibly resolve your problems.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:17 PM
On The Tree

The 96 and 97's did come with the crank position sensor, and from 93-95 didn't. You would need to get a timing cover from those years to do that yes, and it will fit just right as well.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:22 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, I know it is OBD II I just want to make sure about the reluctor ring and cover. The thing that made feel really wierd is that my buddy has already got the cover off and everything and he sad the Balancer Hub just slide right off and I thought you had to use a puller to get the Hub off. So I am thinking the guy he bought the car from used the Balancer and Hub off the 96 motor and the crankshaft in a 96 might be a little thicker. I am not sure about all that please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 06-23-2006, 08:18 AM
Staging Lane

Either that or do a obd 1 conversion
Old 06-23-2006, 08:48 AM
TECH Addict

Did it run bad when he test drove it before buying it?
Old 06-23-2006, 10:48 AM
On The Tree

No it ran good!!!!!!!
Old 06-23-2006, 11:14 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's odd, because if the ECM obviously is from a 96 or 97 with the provisions for a CKP, then if you don't have a CKP signal the motor theoretically shouldn't start because the PCM wouldn't be sending out, spark, or Injector pulses, because there is no signal coming from the CKP. I would dig a little further as to the PCM and what not too with the guy, it will be vital down the road for other problems. I might have a Spare reluctor wheel that came off of a 97 longblock I got a while back, I will have to look next time I'm home (June 29th to July 10th) and let ya know...

Quick Reply: Need A Little Help!!!!!