LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Cloyes double roller

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 11:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cloyes double roller

Does Cloyes make a double roller timing chain set I could use with the stock AC Delco waterpump? What does the 'true' roller setup mean?

Thanks
Old 07-10-2006, 12:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

As far as I'm aware, No, you have to convert to an electric waterpump. For starters, double roller timing sets are not LT1 specific, so they won't have the waterpump drive teeth on the back of the cam gear. Further, they couldn't if they wanted to, because there simply isn't enough room behind the timing cover for a double-roller and the stock waterpump drive.

Keep in mind that double roller timing sets will require a 1995+ optispark, if you don't already run one.

"True" roller I believe is just their marketing catch-phrase, but ultimately, these are roller chains -- unlike the factory "stiff-back/link-belt" chain design.

I personally run the Cloyes 9-3145 double roller, if you have any questions.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:33 AM
TECH Resident

I'm not so much looking for great numbers from it, I guess just a little bit of bang for the buck. I am trying to upgrade for my H/C package that is ready to go in. So your same roller would suffice for my setup?

thanks
Old 07-10-2006, 12:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Brandon,

When it comes to the Cloyes double rollers, I believe the 9-3145 is what everyone uses in the LT1. They are pretty cheap too -- only about $80. Some grinding/clearancing to the back of the timing cover is usually required. Also, the factory waterpump drive will need to be removed from the block. Two screws hold in a retaining plate, then a bearing is pressed into the block -- which is easiest to remove by hammering from the lifter valley.

*Again, converting to a double roller will require an electric waterpump, as well as a 1995 optispark. To convert to a 1995 Optispark, you also need a 1995+ camshaft, timing cover, optispark wiring harness and vacuum harness. This is, of course, in addition to the timing set.

If you install the Cloyes double roller with your factory 1994 optispark, your car will be reduced to a 4000-pound paperweight.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:26 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Alex94TAGT
Brandon,

When it comes to the Cloyes double rollers, I believe the 9-3145 is what everyone uses in the LT1. They are pretty cheap too -- only about $80. Some grinding/clearancing to the back of the timing cover is usually required. Also, the factory waterpump drive will need to be removed from the block. Two screws hold in a retaining plate, then a bearing is pressed into the block -- which is easiest to remove by hammering from the lifter valley.

*Again, converting to a double roller will require an electric waterpump, as well as a 1995 optispark. To convert to a 1995 Optispark, you also need a 1995+ camshaft, timing cover, optispark wiring harness and vacuum harness. This is, of course, in addition to the timing set.

If you install the Cloyes double roller with your factory 1994 optispark, your car will be reduced to a 4000-pound paperweight.

Great info there, thank you.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:51 AM
Teching In

Default Timing chain

I just listed that timing set on ebay-Brand new 9-3145
I'll Take $75

Chris
Old 07-10-2006, 11:04 AM
Launching!

I believe that cloyes now offers a version of the Double Roller for the LT1 that includes the gear also for the Water Pump drive. This would allow you to run the factory pump.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ToxicTA
I believe that cloyes now offers a version of the Double Roller for the LT1 that includes the gear also for the Water Pump drive. This would allow you to run the factory pump.
Got a part number?

I've seen the $400 Cloyes 9100 HD '92-94 LT1 timing set (single-non-roller chain), and they mention a double-roller version, but I can't locate a part number...