LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

***Urgent*** help plz. Old starter has 9 teeth new has 12...

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 04:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ***Urgent*** help plz. Old starter has 9 teeth new has 12...

Dammit I'm trying to fire her up today and this comes up. It's a new flywheel which come to think of it I did not count the teeth on but anyways the old starter has 9 teeth and the new has 12. I started to disassemble the old to take out the teeth and slip onto the new one when it occured to me that somehow someway maybe the 12 will also work??

I'm outside and it's raining lightly if anyone can shoot over an answer ASAP, I'd appreciate it.
Old 07-22-2006, 10:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

TTT
anyone anyone? I didn't fire up today cuz of this.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

from what I been reading:
parallel bolts =153 flywheel
staggered = 168 flywheel

Now this starter is parallel but seems to have more teeth than the one it is replacing, but I should be just fine either way right? anyone have some experience?
Old 07-23-2006, 10:44 AM
Staging Lane

what was your old flywheel, and what is your new one? Will the teeth line up with the starter? Is there any binding on the flywheel? Put the starter in and engage the starter. If it lines up you shouldn't have a problem.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How do I get it to engage and stay engaged without spinning?
Tried to turn her on today but she didnt turn could be a wire or voltage it's at 12 volts the battery but its 10:30 and I'm beat. Hopefully I can fire her tommorrow.

I'm guessing it engages when u put the key in but don't crank. So I'll check that tommorrow, let me know yur thoughts and thanks for the one and only answer!
Old 07-23-2006, 09:35 PM
Staging Lane

To me...when the starter engages, thats when the bendix spring kicks out the gear and begins spinning the flywheel. Try it? For me...I would check the distance between the starter teeth and compare them to the flywheel gaps between teeth...check the distances...if they are close...then should be good (theoretically...again...THEORETICALLY)
Old 07-23-2006, 10:17 PM
Staging Lane

right get under there with a screwdriver and pry the gear. That should give you an idea if it is the right starter or not.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I did the measurements they were exactly the same in spacing between width and height as the old starter's teeth only it has 3 more of them and the overall diameter in its entirety was bigger tho. So I measure the differences in that and imagined that in order for it work, it should be that this starter spaces it's teeth's(centerline) farther from the flywheel in order to make up for it being a bigger gear and sure enough when I put her in place, it sits farther ever so slightly from the flywheel.

I tried to pop the teeth out to get it to engage but this starter is brand new and the spring must be stiff, I couldnt get it to slide out and didn't have much room to pry it properly while installed.

Is there a way to make the bendix come out? without spinning?

I went to just crank her last night when I was done but it looks like the battery is too low now. Which I took as an omen to wait for today during the day and look over my entire job once more b4 firing her back up. But I am a little hesitant to just try and crank her without confirming proper engagement cuz I don't want to lose the flywheel.
Old 07-24-2006, 06:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by License2Ill

Is there a way to make the bendix come out? without spinning?

Try disconnecting the large positive cable at the starter, but leave the small wires attached, then have someone turn the key while you watch from underneath the car. That should engage the gears without turning the starter. Be careful with the big wire!
Old 07-24-2006, 10:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd like to thank everyone for their help, and post an outcome for a change.

I went ahead and just tweaked it a little with the coil disconnected, sounded a little odd but not retarded. Tweaked again, a little odd again but slightly less, did 3 more tweaks and no more odd noise. Tweaked her some more to get some oil circulating anyhow and badabing. Sounds perfect.

I decided to just go for it cuz "according to my calculations........" it seemed like the right thing to do. Lucky me..... well not sooooo lucky check my other thread on another subject.

Thanks again everyone.

Quick Reply: ***Urgent*** help plz. Old starter has 9 teeth new has 12...