LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

How many people converted their LT1/4 to solid roller?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 03:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many people converted their LT1/4 to solid roller?

What is the maintenance schedule and power gains?
Old 08-09-2006, 06:23 PM
On The Tree

That is a really hard 2 questions to answer. I have a decent sized solid roller in mine 25x/25x @ .050 and with shaft mount rockers, valves really only need to be checked/adjusted @ oil changes (3 months/3k miles) but actually could go longer as there are minimal adjustments needed at this interval. I know a few people who will go 6 months or even a year with their solid roller. I consider it preventative maintenance though. I also have fairly aggressive lobes and 1.65:1 rockers.

As for power gains, that all depends on the ramp rates, lift, and duration. A large portion of the power gain with a solid is in the ability to spin to a higher RPM and maintain valvetrain stability. That being said, with an aggressive hydraulic lobe compared to an aggressive solid lobe, there is still power to be gained throughout the band as well.

If I (or anyone else) were to give you a specific number, we'd be wrong because there are so many variables. Duration, intake design, ramp rate, head flow, header primary size, primary length, exhaust back pressure, overlap/LSA, exhaust scavenging, etc.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:36 PM
Launching!

I have been told that the recommened maintenance is somewhere between 6000-8000 miles with my camshaft. I set mine cold then reset them at 50 miles when I changed the oil then I reset them at 500 miles. I just changed the oil at 3000 miles and I rechecked them and they were all good to go. As mentioned in previous post there will be differences in schedules depending on the actual camshaft itself. Took me an extra hour to really check to make sure every thing was good including checking guide plates and roller tips and there contacts. It really is minimal to me and I wouldn't go back to hydraulic after hearing the sound of the valvetrain plus the performance.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:58 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ToxicTA
I have been told that the recommened maintenance is somewhere between 6000-8000 miles with my camshaft. I set mine cold then reset them at 50 miles when I changed the oil then I reset them at 500 miles. I just changed the oil at 3000 miles and I rechecked them and they were all good to go. As mentioned in previous post there will be differences in schedules depending on the actual camshaft itself. Took me an extra hour to really check to make sure every thing was good including checking guide plates and roller tips and there contacts. It really is minimal to me and I wouldn't go back to hydraulic after hearing the sound of the valvetrain plus the performance.
Do you drive your car on the street? And is the power better?
Old 08-10-2006, 08:28 AM
Launching!

I drive my Trans Am back and forth to work everyday that it is not broke. LOL
Round trip for work is almost 60 miles. I think the power is better and it really comes alive at 3500 RPM and runs strong to 6300 RPM. During a shift the rpm drops to 4700 RPM and just screams through the next gear.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:43 AM
9 Second Club

solid roller here.... 248/260 .704/.685 cam...... 1.7/1.6 ratio shaft rockers....

I'll let you know how the maintenance schedule is once I get the motor in the car.... My engine builder told me the same thing.... every 3000 miles or so.... or prior to going to the track... 3000 miles on a primary drag car seeing only 50 miles a week it would take you a year to get 3K on it.....

So I'll probably check lash prior to raceday..... and during oil changes...
Old 08-10-2006, 12:37 PM
TECH Addict

What's the procedure to checking it?
Old 08-10-2006, 02:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Honda Hunter
What's the procedure to checking it?
Checking lash? You use feeler gauges between the rocker and valvestem tip.

Solid rollers' lash adjustment is essentially a pre-set gap in the valvetrain, unlike hydraulic rollers which should not have any gap.

With the valve fully closed, if the correct feeler gauge won't go in between the rocker and valvestem, then the lash is too tight. If it goes in very easily without any drag, then the lash is too loose.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:05 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ToxicTA
I drive my Trans Am back and forth to work everyday that it is not broke. LOL
Round trip for work is almost 60 miles. I think the power is better and it really comes alive at 3500 RPM and runs strong to 6300 RPM. During a shift the rpm drops to 4700 RPM and just screams through the next gear.

I am looking to it then. My last cam was the comp 503. The new one was a custom solid from comp based on my combination and with streetablilty in mind. The builder has had the cam for a week. I heading in tomorrow to get the cam card. i am wondering how much the specs will differ from the old 503. This second motor is also a 383.

Quick Reply: How many people converted their LT1/4 to solid roller?