LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Camming 1994 Z

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 07:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Camming 1994 Z

I have searched without a definitive answer. If I were to install a cam, for example LT4 hotcam, and use the unvented Opti, what all is needed to do the swap. I understand that I can't switch to a double roller timing set with this configuration. Also the pin from what I have read is longer on the cam. I don't want to convert to the vented opti. Although it may be the best option to do so, I really don't want to go that route since I have recently changed the opti. Also, what timing sets will work for this application. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jpack
I have searched without a definitive answer. If I were to install a cam, for example LT4 hotcam, and use the unvented Opti, what all is needed to do the swap. I understand that I can't switch to a double roller timing set with this configuration. Also the pin from what I have read is longer on the cam. I don't want to convert to the vented opti. Although it may be the best option to do so, I really don't want to go that route since I have recently changed the opti. Also, what timing sets will work for this application. Thanks in advance.
Unfortunately the timing set selections for the non-vented opti cars is limited. If all you are doing is the hot cam kit swap, you should be fine with just swapping in a new OE timing set. When I did my cam swap over a year ago, there was one timing set that they sold at summit, but it was backordered at the time. The tech line at summit is a HUGE help -- give them a ring sometime.

To do a cam swap, you're going to need all the essential gaskets that will need replacing when you take the car apart (somewhat) and are putting it back together. Thunder Racing sells a 'cam swap gasket kit' which had all the gaskets I needed to do the cam swap.

Besides the gaskets, I'd say you're going to need some quality high temp RTV Sealant (preferably black) and a little bit of patience to get it done. There have been a couple recent threads in the LT1 forum alone where people asked what they needed prior to their cam swap. Definately take a look for those.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I have seen those but the issue I have is the hole in the center of the cam. They are different between the two different type of optisparks. They are driven different. Everywhere I have searched yields nothing specific for the 94 lt1. Everything listed as far as parts is 92-03 and 95-97, skips right over the 94. With that said, looking online @ summit shows the cams compatible from 93-97 yet the 93 and 94 are different than 95-97 from what I have seen on the optispark/cam sprocket/timing chain options.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

These are good questions! I'd also like to know.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:27 PM
TECH Regular

All that needs to be done is to cut the dowel pin down to the same size of your original. Not a big deal, I've shortened one using a bench grinder.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yep , just trim the dowl to fit the 92-94 set-up. use the 92-94 timing set.

Don't forget valvesprings.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just did a cam swap this past weekend on my 94 LT1 and I used a cc503 and just shortened the dowel pin with a grinder. Just match it the stock cam when you pull it out. I also used a Lunati timing set and the chain was very tight! Unfortunately for us we have 3 choices when it comes to timing sets. AC Delco, Lunati, and the Comp cam set for like $500! If your interested I have a couple timing sets for sale because Autozone accidently gave me 3 timing sets so now I have 2 extra.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the info! anyone have the dimension for the dowel pin so I can mic the new one?
Old 12-12-2006, 06:11 PM
11 Second Club

You can also press the dowel in.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:14 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jpack
Thanks for the info! anyone have the dimension for the dowel pin so I can mic the new one?
Here's some more info you might need http://shbox.com/ci/cam_install.html

Quick Reply: Camming 1994 Z