LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

I Need Help W/my Car

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 03:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Need Help W/my Car

I filled up w/gas and wuz leaving the gas station and didn't even get 1/4 mile down the road and it started bogging down then died. I couldn't get it to crank up again. It seemed like it would tried to once then go to turnin over. I figured it wuz my Opti-spark because i had just dun a TB bypass and sum coolant fell down by the opti. I replace the whole ignition system. MSD Billit Opti, MSD GM Blaster Coil, MSD Super Conductor 8.5mm wires, NGK TR 55 plugs. put everything back on and tried to start and wuz doing the same thing. Just trying to pop off once then spinnin over. Then i had 2 go to work(i work on the road). The guy i have working on it said he did a FP pressure test and would be around 30lbs one try and less the next try. They sprayed sum fuel into the intake and they said it tried cranking the best then. I don't know what else to try. And if it matters any it ran completely outta gas about 2-3 months ago.

Thanks,
Steven
Old 02-15-2007, 07:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It could be several things. How many miles are on the car? Do you usually run around with not much fuel in the tank? It could be that your fuel pump is going. The fuel pump in our cars is cooled by the fuel around it. If you often drive with not much fuel in the tank (or especially if you happened to run the tank dry), then you may have caused the fuel pump to go prematurely. Check the fuel filter while you're at it. A clogged fuel filter can also cause it to stumble.

I know this part might be a royal PITA, but you may need to check and verify that you installed the opti correctly. If it is off, just even a little bit, it will not run properly. It is also (this ones not likely though) possible that you got a bad opti from the factory. This actually happened to me when I changed the opti on my Formula.

If you have someone who has a laptop, and can hook it into your diagnostic port to run tuner cat, or a similar program, this can also help diagnos what your problem is.

It sounds like you have gone over all the ignition items. BTW, make sure you are putting premium in the car. Anything less than that, and your car can stumble, knock, and ping. You might want to try some octane booster just to make sure you have a good octane level in the car as well. (caution though, if you still are running the factory catalytic converter, adding too high of an octane can make your cat go out)
Old 02-15-2007, 11:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know that the LT-1s are known for opti problems, but if I had just left the gas station, I'd suspect the fuel you just put in the car. Keep it simple, and try a couple of bottles of dry gas first....
Old 02-15-2007, 11:42 AM
Teching In

When my car's opti went, the first opti I ordered was also defect. It confused us for a while, then finally thought to check it, LOL.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:55 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
I know that the LT-1s are known for opti problems, but if I had just left the gas station, I'd suspect the fuel you just put in the car. Keep it simple, and try a couple of bottles of dry gas first....

with it being winter, depending on where you live, deffinatly throw some isopropel(drygas) in , i know around here in ny its very common, start simple and cheap and go from there
Old 02-15-2007, 01:02 PM
KFK
On The Tree

I once got a full tank at Mobile of premium and did the same thing. We drained some of the fuel let it sit and noticed there was ALOT of water in it. (by looking at it n a transparent container) We put about a half a tank of good gas and alot of heet (isopropl) and was able to run enough to drive it, but it ran rough.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:19 AM
Staging Lane

Default *sigh*

Originally Posted by racintiger75
I filled up w/gas and wuz leaving the gas station and didn't even get 1/4 mile down the road and it started bogging down then died. I couldn't get it to crank up again. It seemed like it would tried to once then go to turnin over. I figured it wuz my Opti-spark because i had just dun a TB bypass and sum coolant fell down by the opti. I replace the whole ignition system. MSD Billit Opti, MSD GM Blaster Coil, MSD Super Conductor 8.5mm wires, NGK TR 55 plugs. put everything back on and tried to start and wuz doing the same thing. Just trying to pop off once then spinnin over. Then i had 2 go to work(i work on the road). The guy i have working on it said he did a FP pressure test and would be around 30lbs one try and less the next try. They sprayed sum fuel into the intake and they said it tried cranking the best then. I don't know what else to try. And if it matters any it ran completely outta gas about 2-3 months ago.

Thanks,
Steven

Same thing happened to me a few days ago, except I only got 10 feet.
I would not crank for the world. A day later I tried and it actually started. I was all happy and decided to go put some good gas and some fuel injection cleaner in it. As soon as I put it in drive it cut off...SON OF A B!@?$
Old 05-02-2007, 09:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would say fuel pump also. But How long has it been since you changed your fuel filter?
Old 05-02-2007, 09:54 AM
Staging Lane

It's only been a couple months since I replace the fuel filter.
I can still hear the fuel pump so I think it's ok.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fuel pressure gauge, sounds like u got sold bad gas though
Old 05-02-2007, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

+1 for water in the fuel!!!
Old 05-03-2007, 05:22 PM
Staging Lane

Question Ok time for a poll...

All for bad gas=1
All for fuelpump/filter=2
All for optispark=3
All for hellifiknow=4

It's my only means of transportation. I have another car but it needs a little bit of work before I can drive it.

Quick Reply: I Need Help W/my Car